• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150R Rear Brake Pad Life

How many miles should I expect to get from my rear break pads? I'm an experienced rider who uses both brakes for all stops. Mostly do city/country riding. Just had my 12,000 mile service and they replaced the pads. Seems quite soon.

Very low milage indeed. I am at about 29K and will need to replace shortly. I use the bike for daily communtes and country riding as you seem too. There was a report in another thread that dirt and or corrosion on the pins the pads ride on was causing some pads to hang up with the puck rubbing on the disk resulting in the need for early replacement. Do a search.

My 1150RS with partially linked brakes was ready for rear pads at the 18,000 mile service (18,600). They MIGHT have made to the 24,000 service interval but I doubt it. Fronts are still good at 30,000+ (and I'm not shy about using the fronts).

John

mine were replaced at the 18k service. i was disappointed about that.

I'm not in the same league as some of you, :violin
but when I changed my tires at ~11300mi I inspected/cleaned all three calipers and pad sets. The rears had PLENTY of life yet....looked hardly used, actually.....

My original set was replaced quite early, like the other responses... I replaced it with an aftermarket company that provided 3 times the wear and tear... much better!! :D

34649 said:
Just had my 12,000 mile service and they replaced the pads. Seems quite soon.
One of the reasons I do my own maintenance is so that parts that don't need replacing don't get replaced.

Special ABS Pads!

Yes, that's right BMW has recently put a new part number on the fiche for rear brake pads. This new pad is specific for ABS models. Make sure your local dealer puts them on. Unlike the normal pad you might get, the metal part of the pad is an anodized gold rather than black. So this is how you can tell.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else, around 20,000 miles is it for a set rear pads including the after market pads.

rear pads at 43000

I had the rear pads replaced on the way home from Vermont. 43,000 miles and they still had pad left. I had a new set of tires put on too. Original pads, set 6 on the tires.

Max BMW in Brunswick, NY got me in same day when I called them from New Hampshire. Very good service for someone on the road. The dealer in New Hampshire also was willing to put a set of tires on same day.

My riding partner on a Gold Wing was told by four Honda dealers the earliest was a couple of days.

Dennis
Chicago IL

pads

what will be cost for replacing rear pads? and front pads? I have a 2002 R1150rs with ABS

mayojuaf said:
what will be cost for replacing rear pads? and front pads? I have a 2002 R1150rs with ABS

The rear pads will cost around $52. The fronts will be around $62 per caliper - you need two. This is one of those jobs you should do yourself. It really is easy. Make sure you get the right rear pads. BMW changed caliper design in mid '03 (sometime?) and the earlier ones need organic pads while the later ones get sintered metal pads. The organic pads have a black backing plate while the metal pads are copper colored.

John

Thank you all!

Thanks for all of the input. I'm not sure what to think. Our town does set the traffic lights to stop you at every one of them (why I don't have a clue) but that could account for the extra wear. The other option is that my dealer has been less than honest. I hate to think so.

John Brase said:
My 1150RS with partially linked brakes was ready for rear pads at the 18,000 mile service (18,600). They MIGHT have made to the 24,000 service interval but I doubt it. Fronts are still good at 30,000+ (and I'm not shy about using the fronts).

John
My R1150RS rear pads were almost entirely gone at 18K. My dealer (who I trust) said this was normal with the partially linked brakes. BTW: the pad wear was caught during my spring safety inspection at a local sportbike shop - first time I think I ever got something useful out of an inspection after >30 years of doing them!

Cheers,

where can we find instructions to replace front and rear pads? is that easy? do we need BMW special tools or drain the system?

Brake Pads

Just yesterday, I went to my local BMW dealer to purchase brake pads, filters & oil for my 2 RT's, both approx 26k on each. To my surprise the brake pads I was sold were not BMW (everything else in the dealership had a BMW logo and price to boot) He recommended DP Sport HH+ pads. I bought 6 pairs and hope I'm not disappointed

So should we use the organic pads for the 2002 R1150 RS? I just stoped bt the dealer and he had no idea of what I was talking about , He was just going for the metalics...

mayojuaf said:
So should we use the organic pads for the 2002 R1150 RS? I just stoped bt the dealer and he had no idea of what I was talking about , He was just going for the metalics...
My information comes from the Bob's BMW Catalog. It says, "IMPORTANT NOTE about rear pads! During 2003 BMW discontinued using organic type brake pads on the REAR of all models equiped with integral ABS and switched to a sintered metal pads. A corresponding change in caliper design means the two pad types are not interchangeable."

Since I trust Bob's more than I do my local dealer I followed this advice.

John

After market barkes disappointing

The aftermarket brakes recommended by my dealer were very disappointing! They squealed at every normal stop (other drivers would look to see what was comming), On meduim hard stops the back brake would lock up and ABS would take over, On both bikes the rotors showed signs of wear after less than 400 miles. My BMW dealer did credit me with the cost of the 6 pair of brakes and for $118 more I got BMW bremco brakes. Now both bikes brake like new and no squealing.

Back