• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet storage?

S

Stuff2c

OK, I'm ready to learn something new today.

What's the best way to store a helmet for long term. Let's say a year or so. When I've done this in the past I've had issues with the inside deteriorating.
Most of the time on the top shelf of an air conditioned closet.

Not too hot, not to cold, maybe a little air circulation, no bugs or rodents. Perhaps a bag of dessicant inside.

First of the helmet has to be scrubbed clean to remove all the oils from your skin that have settled in the liners and foam inside the lid.
The helmet can than be stored in a dry dark closet. Just my my 0.02cts

dbrick said:
Not too hot, not to cold, maybe a little air circulation, no bugs or rodents. Perhaps a bag of dessicant inside.

+1 on the dessicant bag. Get one from a pill jar or international shipment.

Motorcyclist Magazine ran an article a couple of months back that dealt with helmet care. The suggestions from the helmet manufacturer reps was to:

a. clean the helmet comfort liner to remove any skin oils and other dirt; and
b. store the helmet on a wire shelf with the visor open to promote air circulation.

Nothing more elaborate than that.

Back