• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Helmet Visors

audioelliot

It's about time for a new facesheild for my helmet, and I was thinking about getting something that isn't clear. I have a HJC, Has anybody ever used either the light/dark smoke faceshields or the Iridium (Reflective) color shields? pros/cons? Thanks

I've used a smoke tinted face shield with an Arai helmet. It is optically correct and works as good as sun glasses. The downside is it needs to be changed for overcast conditions and night riding. Thus, I have to carry a clear shield when using the smoke tint.

Dark face shields, besides being illegal in some jurisdictions, are dangerous at night, IME. Then again, I have growing cataracts that compromise my night vision anyway. I love 'em in the day time, but everytime I don't have my clear one in the tankbag, Murphy conspires to keep me out after dark.

My one experience with an Iridium wasn't good. Despite treating the thing with kit gloves, the coating started coming off the second time I cleaned it. With the cleaner recomended by Arai. I'll never buy another one.

I have an HJC helmet and have used the Iridium blue for about 4 years and love it. I don't have to wear sunglasses while riding. I do keep a clear one in my hard bag for those times I ride at night. I highly recommend it.

I carry two; the dark tint is usually on the helmet, and the clear is usually in the little topcase. No big deal to change them, and no sunglasses under the faceshield to complicate things.

I had three iridium-style shields, and all of them would suffer loss of coating in spots. They were very cool, but I stopped wasting money on them and opted for the dark tint instead.

Fred

I have dark tint for my Arai and Shoei and they really help during the day, with the light and the heat. I typically keep the clear in the topcase though for dusk changes. It helps if they quick change like the Shoei.

tinted face shields

I also have a tinted face shield on my HJC helmet, and it provides excellent sun and glare protection. It's got my vote. Of course, I also have the clear shield for night riding. :thumb

Robert

Another vote for the tinted shield during daylight hours. I carry a clear shield in my saddlebag or my tank bag for when it starts to get dark out. On the HJC you can have them swapped out in no time flat.

A side-bonus to the tinted shield is you don't end up with that funny oval sunburn/tan that I've seen people get with clear shields :brow

ok, great, thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to go with the dark smoke, and buy a new clear one as well for nighttime.

I've used the dark faceshields. They work fine during the day, but you can't ride with it at night with any degree of safety. I took the dark shield off and put a clear shield on with a Helmet Sunblocker attached to the top. It is a small strip of darkened plastic that fits at the top of the clear shield to cut down on the sun. They work great and are easily installed. They are just as easily removed without leaving a scratch on the faceshield. They are made for Arai and non-Arai helmets.

Easy
Big Empty, Texas :usa

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half the time.
E. B. White, New Yorker, July 3, 1944

The advantage of using a dark shield, if you wear glasses, is that in marginal lighting conditions such as a cloudy day, you can open the shield and see fine, without having to change glasses (dark glasses to normal). Very convenient too if riding through forested areas where the road is alternately shaded and sunny. I wouldn't ride far with the shield up, or at speed, but it does give you the option of quickly raising it to get a clearer picture of the road surface when in shadowy conditions.

Down side to this is changing the dark shield to the clear shield on the Arai helmets. This little exercise usually leaves my finger tips sore and expands my vocabulary.

Eureka said:
Down side to this is changing the dark shield to the clear shield on the Arai helmets. This little exercise usually leaves my finger tips sore and expands my vocabulary.
I've heard this repeatedly. There is a learning curve (i.e., fear threshold) when spreading the Arai faceshield to pop it off, but once over the top, you'll pop off and slip on a replacement in no time flat, even without removing your helmet.

Fred

Changing the shield on Arai helmets

There is a demonstration on the internet that describes in detail how to change the shield. If you follow the instructions it's quite easy. Go to http://www.araiamericas.com/FAQ.html# and click the bottom icon and the demonstration will come up.

Easy
Big Empty, Texas :german

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

I have gotten to the point where I don't even need to take the helmet off to change the visor. I will say that having the tinted visor does help a lot with keeping me cooler in the helmet.

Back