Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Considering a K

CustomSarge

Thumbs up "Always a good choice"

I buy & rebuild "distressed" K machines.
    > K75: total 8, keeping 1, 1 for sale, 6 sold. All to owners happy with their choice. Still in regular contact with 5 of them.
    > K100: total 2, 1 for sale, 1 to finish bodywork B4 sale.
    > K1100: a K1100LT rebuilt into the "K11LTX" see ON 11/03.
    There may be a better bike someday, but it isn't now. While not perfect, the tradeoffs are WAY in the plus column. I have 1 from other era, '74 R90S & '99 R11HR, the LTX is my daily ride. You can buy one right, ride it 2-3 years & sell for same. Where's the downside here? I don't think you'd be disappointed, except in raw torque. I had an R1200C and it did have low end grunt.

Drawn to K bike

My first BMW was an 97 F650, which I purchased new and have ridden 42,000 miles so far. I've been looking at new bikes for the last couple of years, but had not found anything, including the new BMW's, that really turned my on enough to justify the cost. I'd noticed the K75 S at various rallys, etc.. Then I sat on one, then rode one, then rode another. I started looking for a good low mileage bike last spring, finally found a 93 K75S in late summer, 19K miles, mystic red, with all of the accessories. I rode over 6K miles the last two months of my riding season, and am very pleased. The F650 is a great bike because it is so verstile, but the K75 is a much better street bike. I've been pleasantly surprised by the flexibility of the engine, which requires much less shifting thant the F650. While it may not have the absolute power of some of the newer bikes, it's a significant step up from the F650, and I find the performance very satisfying. The added passing power and the smoothness of the engine, along with the larger gas tank and higher mileage. means I put on more miles in less time and my 55 year old body arrives in better condition. I'm also impressed with the quality of the machinery, and how straightforward it is to maintain. Then there is the fact that the difference between the price of a new BMW and my almost as new K75 is enough for a couple of other older bikes that I've had my eye on...
    John Peck
    Maple City, Michigan
    R1150R
    F650GS

dlearl476

Re: Considering a K

Originally posted by espresso
    ... I've been feeling this undescribable "pull" toward a K bike.
    Is it to the right?

When I bought my '94, I was told by the mechanic that had just done a bunch of work on my R100RT that the later model K75's were much better bikes and required a lot less repairs. At the time they were obviously much newer so who knows how much that had to do with it.

Cool best K bike

here comes the flames!
    the best bike BMW has ever made is the K1100LT. I looked for 8 months to find a replacement (medium tall person, likes to go fast, and likes to ride two up and camp). I thought the K1200GT would do it (actually an RS), the Yamaha FJR1300 (too small), the Honda ST1300, the Triumph (something). Nothing was as good as the K.

So I kept it and got an R1150GS Adventure. Perfect compliment. The K1100LT is still the best there is.
    the Luz

I like to make fun of the K's since I moved over to a GS, but the old K's are tremendous as daily rides. My K75s tolerated my abuse without a whimper for many miles. The closest it came to letting me down was a dead shock and a dead battery. Both were, of course, my fault.

My complaints were short:
    1. Lack of Power
    2. front and top heavy
    3. slow steering
    4. old school suspension
    5. tight steering lock

It took more work to get it down a twisty bit of road than any of the newer bikes I've ridden (including my GS). This could make it more thrilling at times than I'd like.

But outside of the most frigid temps, it always started on the first press of the starter button.

Speaking of frigid temps that's an area where Ks, especially RTs and LTs really shine. The Brick engine makes lots of heat. With a huge fairing in front of both rider and radiator, it's a great winter bike especially if you remove the knee pads so the heat can flow out over your legs.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Rally Rat

Thumbs up PULLING TOWARD K BIKE

HELLO, on the subject of the K bike, many responses will be varied on individual rider style. I myself like to go in comfort with great performance and good upright riding position. I broke my back in an accident 4 years ago and I can't ride comfortably on some of the other bikes bmw has to offer. I have been a Harley rider for the better part of 25 years and just bought my 1st Beemer @ BIKEWEEK 2003. So far I have really enjoyed the increased power, handling, and ABS plus all the other bells and whistles on my bike which is an 03 K1200 LTC. I'm sure others may not agree but I am very pleased.

Welcome to BMW's, Cowboy. You're gonna love that thing.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

'85 Ks

Hey all,

Couldn't resist this one - I had wanted a bmw since i began riding about 5 years ago, and finally found the dream bike last summer - an '85 K100. Like most of the posts here, I bought it because I wanted a bike that was reliable and comfortable for year-round, long distance riding. Bought it with over 50K on the clock, and it runs like a top. I moved up to the K from a 600 Yamaha, so comparatively speaking, I hadn't even known what I was missing! Compared to the sport-tourers of late, it is definitely minimalist, but if you want a bike that can go the distance without letting you down, this is it. It's not the best city-bike in the world, especially in the summer, but with aftermarket heat guards it's not really a problem.

And unlike a few others who have weighed in here, I LOVE the way this bike looks. It looks no-frills sporty, with everything on the bike put there for a good reason. I've heard people complain that the K's are too much like 2-wheeled cars. It is true that the mirrors will show something besides your shoulders, and the headlight is large and square. Also, the horn can be heard from outside a 2-foot radius of the bike...If this is not a problem for you, I suggest you buy one immediately...

Mudbug

Can't decide. Advice needed.

I'm relatively new to BMW. I have a 2003 R1200CL which I love. Great handling, Great mileage. I ride it everwhere.

Lately I've been thinking about a used K bike. So far I've found some nice 90's K75S examples, K100RS, K1100RS, and a K1. As you can see, there is a wide variety that has caught my interest. All these bikes have relatively low mileage considering they are 10+ years old.

I'm looking for something that will go long distances with luggage to rallies such as Daytona, Sturgis, Myrtle Beach, Hollister, etc. Maybe do some Iron Butt rides. So it must be reliable and relatively quick.

Is there anything I should look out for regarding potential problems with any of these models? Any recommendations? Personal favorites?

Re: Can't decide. Advice needed.

Originally posted by Mudbug
    Lately I've been thinking about a used K bike. So far I've found some nice 90's K75S examples, K100RS, K1100RS, and a K1. Personal favorites?
    I've only had a oilhead and an airhead. But I've lusted for the K75S since it came out. My friend now has one. I think at my advanced age of 40 I would rather have a K75C. I can ride all day sitting up. For that same reason I've stopped lusting for the K1 - IMHO the coolest bike ever made!

MarkF

Here's a Iron Butt K75C!

Well as an owner of a 2002 r1150r and a1988 K75s I guess I can have an opinion on this. If money were not an issue and I was told one had to go today it would be the R bike. Why ? Well for all the already mentioned reasons and then some . I don't see any leaps forward in quality on the R bike , maybe some steps backward . As far as I am concerned Paralever addressed a problem that didn"t exist., or was barley perceptale to the average rider. Now on my R I have a paralever bearing that goes south at 30,000 to 40,000 mi. . My K does not surge. Amazing that 1988 technology. My K does not use oil with over 50,000 mi. on it. I add a small amount of oil to the R every 400 to 500 mi. . Works out to about a full quart about every 4000 mi.. Hell my Harley didn't use that much. And speaking of oil what is with the now you see it now you don't syndrom. With my R every little problem is addressed with "they all do that" or "it must be the way you ride it" With the K bike it is "this thing runs really good with no fuss" followed by "yeah, they all do that" Hey I still like My R bike but c,mon BMW it could be a lot better for the price you are charging us folks. Just my thoughts
    SCOTT

Re: Re: Can't decide. Advice needed.

Originally posted by MarkF

Here's a Iron Butt K75C!
    Actually, that's Phactory Phil Rose's old K75C. It never ran the IB, but it was there for the checkpoint one year.

I had a K75C as well. It was pretty comfy, but I have to confess that long highway trips really aren't its forte. The fairing doesn't really provide much in the way of protection and the extended screens I've seen all look kinda dorky.

The K75S is probably a better bike. It had some better suspension upgrades in the fork (which can be applied to the C.)

My brother has an 86 K75C and loves it after putting a ton of miles on his old R75/6.

They're neat for regional touring and stuff, but I wouldn't want to ride one from Montana to Boston again. Those headwinds on the plains were a killer.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Re: Re: Re: Can't decide. Advice needed.

Originally posted by KBasa
    I had a K75C as well. It was pretty comfy, but I have to confess that long highway trips really aren't its forte. The fairing doesn't really provide much in the way of protection.
    I guess my R1100R would be terrible for long rides, too. Well, it's all I got so it's what I ride, regardless of the distance.

MarkF

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't decide. Advice needed.

Originally posted by MarkF
    I guess my R1100R would be terrible for long rides, too. Well, it's all I got so it's what I ride, regardless of the distance.
    Depends on one's preferences and expectations, I guess. I don't like full fairings -- never have -- and my 1100R suits me for pretty much everything. It's very comfy, has ample power power for anything, and at slow speed and in twisties it handles better than would a much heavier full tourer (not to mention being easier to service and won't cost a fortune if dropped). My -R does have the factory windshield (makes a big difference over full-naked), touring cases, extra lights, etc.

I do understand that for very cold weather a fairing can certainly help keep you warm. But for all-around use and some types of touring a full fairing can also be a real drawback. If you doubt that come tour through the Arizona desert in summer and see how much fun it is to ride in the still air behind a full fairing in 110-degree heat with a jet of hot air searing your leg. For any kind of warm- to hot-weather riding or touring, naked is the only way to go (naked bike, that is, though there are times... )
    DesertRider in sunny Arizona, USA