• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering a K

Speaking of frigid temps that's an area where Ks, especially RTs and LTs really shine. The Brick engine makes lots of heat. With a huge fairing in front of both rider and radiator, it's a great winter bike especially if you remove the knee pads so the heat can flow out over your legs.

PULLING TOWARD K BIKE

HELLO, on the subject of the K bike, many responses will be varied on individual rider style. I myself like to go in comfort with great performance and good upright riding position. I broke my back in an accident 4 years ago and I can't ride comfortably on some of the other bikes bmw has to offer. I have been a Harley rider for the better part of 25 years and just bought my 1st Beemer @ BIKEWEEK 2003. So far I have really enjoyed the increased power, handling, and ABS plus all the other bells and whistles on my bike which is an 03 K1200 LTC. I'm sure others may not agree but I am very pleased.

'85 Ks

Hey all,

Couldn't resist this one - I had wanted a bmw since i began riding about 5 years ago, and finally found the dream bike last summer - an '85 K100. Like most of the posts here, I bought it because I wanted a bike that was reliable and comfortable for year-round, long distance riding. Bought it with over 50K on the clock, and it runs like a top. I moved up to the K from a 600 Yamaha, so comparatively speaking, I hadn't even known what I was missing! Compared to the sport-tourers of late, it is definitely minimalist, but if you want a bike that can go the distance without letting you down, this is it. It's not the best city-bike in the world, especially in the summer, but with aftermarket heat guards it's not really a problem.

And unlike a few others who have weighed in here, I LOVE the way this bike looks. It looks no-frills sporty, with everything on the bike put there for a good reason. I've heard people complain that the K's are too much like 2-wheeled cars. It is true that the mirrors will show something besides your shoulders, and the headlight is large and square. Also, the horn can be heard from outside a 2-foot radius of the bike...If this is not a problem for you, I suggest you buy one immediately...:)

Can't decide. Advice needed.

I'm relatively new to BMW. I have a 2003 R1200CL which I love. Great handling, Great mileage. I ride it everwhere.

Lately I've been thinking about a used K bike. So far I've found some nice 90's K75S examples, K100RS, K1100RS, and a K1. As you can see, there is a wide variety that has caught my interest. All these bikes have relatively low mileage considering they are 10+ years old.

I'm looking for something that will go long distances with luggage to rallies such as Daytona, Sturgis, Myrtle Beach, Hollister, etc. Maybe do some Iron Butt rides. So it must be reliable and relatively quick.

Is there anything I should look out for regarding potential problems with any of these models? Any recommendations? Personal favorites?

Re: Can't decide. Advice needed.

Mudbug said:
Lately I've been thinking about a used K bike. So far I've found some nice 90's K75S examples, K100RS, K1100RS, and a K1. Personal favorites?

I've only had a oilhead and an airhead. But I've lusted for the K75S since it came out. My friend now has one. I think at my advanced age of 40 I would rather have a K75C. I can ride all day sitting up. For that same reason I've stopped lusting for the K1 - IMHO the coolest bike ever made!

MarkF

k75c.jpg

Here's a Iron Butt K75C!

Well as an owner of a 2002 r1150r and a1988 K75s I guess I can have an opinion on this. If money were not an issue and I was told one had to go today it would be the R bike. Why ? Well for all the already mentioned reasons and then some . I don't see any leaps forward in quality on the R bike , maybe some steps backward . As far as I am concerned Paralever addressed a problem that didn"t exist., or was barley perceptale to the average rider. Now on my R I have a paralever bearing that goes south at 30,000 to 40,000 mi. . My K does not surge. Amazing that 1988 technology. My K does not use oil with over 50,000 mi. on it. I add a small amount of oil to the R every 400 to 500 mi. . Works out to about a full quart about every 4000 mi.. Hell my Harley didn't use that much. And speaking of oil what is with the now you see it now you don't syndrom. With my R every little problem is addressed with "they all do that" or "it must be the way you ride it" With the K bike it is "this thing runs really good with no fuss" followed by "yeah, they all do that" Hey I still like My R bike but c,mon BMW it could be a lot better for the price you are charging us folks. Just my thoughts
SCOTT

Re: Re: Can't decide. Advice needed.

MarkF said:
k75c.jpg

Here's a Iron Butt K75C!

Actually, that's Phactory Phil Rose's old K75C. It never ran the IB, but it was there for the checkpoint one year.

I had a K75C as well. It was pretty comfy, but I have to confess that long highway trips really aren't its forte. The fairing doesn't really provide much in the way of protection and the extended screens I've seen all look kinda dorky.

The K75S is probably a better bike. It had some better suspension upgrades in the fork (which can be applied to the C.)

My brother has an 86 K75C and loves it after putting a ton of miles on his old R75/6.

They're neat for regional touring and stuff, but I wouldn't want to ride one from Montana to Boston again. Those headwinds on the plains were a killer.

Re: Re: Re: Can't decide. Advice needed.

KBasa said:
I had a K75C as well. It was pretty comfy, but I have to confess that long highway trips really aren't its forte. The fairing doesn't really provide much in the way of protection.

I guess my R1100R would be terrible for long rides, too. Well, it's all I got so it's what I ride, regardless of the distance.

MarkF

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't decide. Advice needed.

MarkF said:
I guess my R1100R would be terrible for long rides, too. Well, it's all I got so it's what I ride, regardless of the distance.

Depends on one's preferences and expectations, I guess. I don't like full fairings -- never have -- and my 1100R suits me for pretty much everything. It's very comfy, has ample power power for anything, and at slow speed and in twisties it handles better than would a much heavier full tourer (not to mention being easier to service and won't cost a fortune if dropped). My -R does have the factory windshield (makes a big difference over full-naked), touring cases, extra lights, etc.

I do understand that for very cold weather a fairing can certainly help keep you warm. But for all-around use and some types of touring a full fairing can also be a real drawback. If you doubt that come tour through the Arizona desert in summer and see how much fun it is to ride in the still air behind a full fairing in 110-degree heat with a jet of hot air searing your leg. For any kind of warm- to hot-weather riding or touring, naked is the only way to go (naked bike, that is, though there are times... :eek)

Hey all you R1100R / R1150R guys and gals there is a pretty good web site for us naked types. But you probably already know that. But just in case here it is . SCOTT
www.r1150r.net

K Bikes

Been touring with an 81 R100RT this season in the rocky mountain west. It's a wonderful old bike and has taken me and the wife all over. Riding 2 up on that machine does have some power drawbacks in this environment. So the time has come, and I couldnt wait. Getting a late model K1200LTC, but keeping the R100 for solo riding. I think its the best of both worlds, especially after riding some Harleys and Wingers. OK, so I'm not mechanical enough to do my own maintenance. I dont mind supporting my local BMW dealer as I dont donate to any other charities.

Zach

GT is AWESOME!!!

I was in the market for an R1150RT about a month ago. I test rode it and the GT... I wish I never did, because now I own the GT!!! It's the most AWESOME BIKE I EVER RODE!!!

Happy New Year! :bliss

k-bikes

In 37 years of motorcycle riding i've owned a few bmw's.to recollect some: R60/2,R90s,R100rs,R1100RT/P,K100rs,K1200rs.
My 85 k100rs has it's place next to my 2001 k1200rs and will always have that spot in my garage.(not for sale)
I enjoy the ride and the power of that 1200 no question about it but if I ever had to choose the 1200 would go.Ask your dealer ones if they ever had to go inside a crankcase on a k100.I've seen close to 300 000 miles on them without any major work done other then normal wear,clutch etc.It's to be seen over the years if the sporty k1200 can earn that reputation.

2001 k1200rs
1998 r1100rt/p
1985 k100rs:clap

Have to weigh in on this one. I have a'91K100RS which I bought at the end of the '00 season. My R80 has sat pretty much ever since. I enjoy the flexibility of the power which this bike has, no matter what gear its in. True, it feels top heavy at times, but you adjust to it after a while. The only issues I have with the bike are ABS (first generation) failures, they're touchy. Next would be wind on a long trip. Am going to try the Laminar Lip for that. My step-dad had a '91 LT which I rode, better wind protection but a lot warmer in hot weather. Only mod I've done so far is install bar backs, a little more upright. To me the styling looks great. And as stated maint. isn't a big issue. I think if the abs gets sorted out it'll stay with me a long time. IF I were to sell it, I know I'd get what I paid. Only 21,000 on the clock so it will last a LONG TIME.

BMWs

:idea The great thing about Beemers is that there is so many different kinds. I have seen some great deals in the flea market on K100s, K1100s and most any other model BMW that would make someone a great ride. Have fun!:bliss :clap :bliss :brow

K100

I got my K 100 RS (1987) model last year, with 28K miles on it. I've put 7K on it already. I really like it,and it has all the power you'd want. I often cruise at 100 or better,and it seems to want to go faster. I've added a Rick Mayer seat which I suggest doing to these bikes. Rugged,easy to work on,reliable,fun. I saw one of these K 100's at the Rocket rally last year,it had been riden over 300,000 miles! Go for a K bike friend,you'll love it!

K is cool

The mechanical part of these old bikes are great. I just sold my K100LT. I really wished that I had not.

I think that one needs to remember that when getting an older bike. You need to think about thinks like. Can I get the tires that I want. Are the Shocks any good. Do the front forks leak. Cables seals, shocks and seats do age. I can't think of a better buy for the money than an older K bike. Buy one and you will enjoy it.

Favorite Ks

I have a K1100RS SE, 1996, black and silver. It is as close to perfect as I have gotten. I had an 86 K75s that was equally impressive, but didn't have the nuts of the K11. All I had to do was throw some K100 bars on it so my hands wouldn't go numb. BTW...bought the K75 for $3k, sold it for $3200...nothing but wax put into it.

Enjoy your K.

Back