Thread: Clutch Action Getting Stiff On 91 K100

Clutch Action Getting Stiff On 91 K100

1991, K100 with 25K. I feel that gradually the clutch effort has been getting stiffer. It requires more effort than other bikes I've tried including my Harley. I've not come across an early 90's K bike to directly compare though. It shifts well but pulling in the lever very slowly I can feel slight hesitations but not what I'd call gritty. The lever and the ends of the cable are lubed well but I've not lubed the cable itself. I remember being told that lubing the cables on a BMW is a bad idea as they have a Teflon type liner.
    I may need to replace the cable but also I'm wondering if this is an early sign of clutch splines needing lubed? I was considering trying to tackle it myself. The "how to" articles I've seen on IBMWR Tech show the proceedure on a K75. Can anyone tell me what, if any, differences will I encounter between the monolever K75 and Paralever K100? TIA

Rick

My first thought after reading your message was just replace the clutch cable. I believe that will fix your problem.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

My first thought after reading your message was just replace the clutch cable. I believe that will fix your problem
    You may be correct. I'd might as well just replace it and see if that helps.
    Rick

Blocking the slow lane
    A couple possibilities:

- The cable needs to be changed. This will fix the problem 95% of the time.
    - The clutch arm pivot is seizing up on the back of the trans. The pivot is a needle bearing that gets no lube and is relatively unprotected from junk off the rear wheel. Disassembly isn't difficult.
    - Some '91 K100RS models had a problem with the clutch rod being slightly oversized, and they would actually seize in the throwout bearing when they got overheated (ie, poking around slowly slipping the clutch). A buddy had this problem with his bike.....he pulled the lever in, and it stayed until the bike cooled down. Wierd.

Anyway, like the others, I'm guessing the first one is the problem.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    When the clutch cable on my K75 was going, it was tight and squeaky. The coating on the cable was gone.

As for the clutch splines going, mine went at 25K on my 93 K11, Those symptoms where seen when I intermittently could not down shift, the shifter would not move.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Peel back the rubber cover over the clutch lever and make sure the little drum in the lever is lubricated. While you're at it, make sure the cable is still whole and not starting to splinter.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Thanks guys for your advise and tips! My dealer is mailing me a new cable today. I hope that's it. The "barrel" on the lever end of the cable is well lubed. I'll also check the clutch arm pivot which I never thought of. I'm hoping this helps for now, then I'll do a clutch spline lube this winter.
    Rick