• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clutch Action Getting Stiff On 91 K100

milo

1991, K100 with 25K. I feel that gradually the clutch effort has been getting stiffer. It requires more effort than other bikes I've tried including my Harley. I've not come across an early 90's K bike to directly compare though. It shifts well but pulling in the lever very slowly I can feel slight hesitations but not what I'd call gritty. The lever and the ends of the cable are lubed well but I've not lubed the cable itself. I remember being told that lubing the cables on a BMW is a bad idea as they have a Teflon type liner.
I may need to replace the cable but also I'm wondering if this is an early sign of clutch splines needing lubed? I was considering trying to tackle it myself. The "how to" articles I've seen on IBMWR Tech show the proceedure on a K75. Can anyone tell me what, if any, differences will I encounter between the monolever K75 and Paralever K100? TIA

Rick

My first thought after reading your message was just replace the clutch cable. I believe that will fix your problem.

My first thought after reading your message was just replace the clutch cable. I believe that will fix your problem

You may be correct. I'd might as well just replace it and see if that helps.
Rick

A couple possibilities:

- The cable needs to be changed. This will fix the problem 95% of the time.
- The clutch arm pivot is seizing up on the back of the trans. The pivot is a needle bearing that gets no lube and is relatively unprotected from junk off the rear wheel. Disassembly isn't difficult.
- Some '91 K100RS models had a problem with the clutch rod being slightly oversized, and they would actually seize in the throwout bearing when they got overheated (ie, poking around slowly slipping the clutch). A buddy had this problem with his bike.....he pulled the lever in, and it stayed until the bike cooled down. Wierd.

Anyway, like the others, I'm guessing the first one is the problem.

When the clutch cable on my K75 was going, it was tight and squeaky. The coating on the cable was gone.

As for the clutch splines going, mine went at 25K on my 93 K11, Those symptoms where seen when I intermittently could not down shift, the shifter would not move.

Peel back the rubber cover over the clutch lever and make sure the little drum in the lever is lubricated. While you're at it, make sure the cable is still whole and not starting to splinter.

Thanks guys for your advise and tips! My dealer is mailing me a new cable today. I hope that's it. The "barrel" on the lever end of the cable is well lubed. I'll also check the clutch arm pivot which I never thought of. I'm hoping this helps for now, then I'll do a clutch spline lube this winter.
Rick

Back