• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMWs in the Movies!

for you all that like old 60's ski moives... there is a movie call "Scrapple" that has the main character riding a R35 with side car in the whole movie.. it is based in Ophir and Telluride back when it was a small town..

So one of the guys on Fox's Prison Break series is riding some sort of old-style airhead. All black, no markings. Can't tell if it's a restored R75 or a Ural without a sidecar or what.

Crow, have I got news for you. I can say with certainty that the bike in question is a Ural- I saw the bike used in the show up-close and personal yesterday, even got to hear it run and had a nice chat with one of the transpo-guys about it. Prison Break is produced here in Dallas and I spent yesterday doing some side-work at the show's production office. The guy I spoke with said that they do have a sidecar for it too stashed away somewhere. The bike has an Earles-type fork with a rather meaty-looking front disc with an equally meaty-looking Brembo caliper. I seriously doubt that that is the stock brake setup. Speaking of brakes, the guy I spoke with later complained about getting WAY too dirty trying to rig up brake systems on a pair of Ramblers to be used in a chse-scene that will be shot this week. My big questions was, "where on Earth do you find a PAIR of Ramblers???"

And while I'm ressurecting this thread, who remembers the R65LS from The Day After?

You may laugh.

The Other Sister with Giovanni Ribisi and Juliette Lewis has a Ivory R1200C in it. Towards the end of the movie, Ribisi gets picked up while hitchhiking in the rain by the bike.

Hooper?

Just saw Hooper this weekend, again. Did the motorcycle cop that gets yanked off his ride have a bmw? I'm not too good on the models, but the tank looked familiar. Funny thing was, in the scene when BR goes by on the highway in reverse, the rear of the bike looks like a HD. You don't suppose they switched to wreck a bmw instead of a harley?

The cop-bike in Hooper was a Moto Guzzi. I think CHP used them in the early '70s, but Hooper was made in 1978 and at that time Ponch & Jon were on Kawasakis (I have no idea what the real CHiPs were riding in '78). Not sure if the guy in Hooper was supposed to be a local or a CHiP.

BTW the part in Hooper where all the red brick buildings get blown up was filmed across the street from my elementary school when I was in fourth grade. Pretty exciting times in Tuscaloosa.

Thanks on the Hooper info. I guess i could have replayed the scene until I saw it.
Fast times at Tuscaloosa Elem- that was one of the good parts of the movie.

Dave

Actually, the CHP never used Guzzis. But the LA Police rode them in the 70s, had a whole fleet of them. El Dorados, I think, were the model they used, a 750.

Cheech and Chong

Tommy Chong gets a ride on the back of an airhead in Cheech and Chong's Next Movie - not sure what model- - /5 maybe? or an R50

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction Darryl- I've never lived in CA so I was going on what I'd heard from others which was not correct. Somebody smack me...!

The_Veg said:
Thanks for the correction Darryl- I've never lived in CA so I was going on what I'd heard from others which was not correct. Somebody smack me...!
The LAPD also had a bunch of AMC Matadors for cruisers, when I started driving. You might (probably not) recall the AMC commercials -- they were sinking and trying to get people to recognize their cars -- with the tag line "so that's a Matador!"

Well, I had just gotten my license and I was driving my mom's Olds Delta 88 land barge down Van Nuys Blvd. with a couple friends. We pulled up to a light, right next to an LAPD unit, and my friend leans out the window and yells at the cop "So that's a Matador!" I nearly died, but the cop just laughed.

I found the website that lists all the bikes in movies...
http://www.motorbiker.org/motorbiker.nsf/Movies_Bikes!OpenView&Start=1&Count=50&Expand=7#7
Pierce Brosnan on a K75C!
lm4.jpg

I caught "Danny Deckchair" on DVD just yesterday, and an old airhead
is featured prominently in the latter half of the movie.
It is a sweet little movie!

And it is featured for the right reasons- the heroine has the old thing in her
barn and recalls wistfully that her parents toured on it. It is then made to
run and put to good use.

iRene said:
I caught "Danny Deckchair" on DVD just yesterday, and an old airhead
is featured prominently in the latter half of the movie.
It is a sweet little movie!

And it is featured for the right reasons- the heroine has the old thing in her
barn and recalls wistfully that her parents toured on it. It is then made to
run and put to good use.

I forgot about that one, it's a slash5, right?

BeemoKat said:
I forgot about that one, it's a slash5, right?

Actually, I could use some help on this- I don't know. The handlebars and mirrors didn't look BMW to me, and only after a full shot of the bike was I even sure it was a Beemer-

ANYONE?????

Back