• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tire recomendations

thomaswoodley

Time for new shoes on the R1100 R
Mez4 or Dunlop 220 or Mich Road Pilot
All costs about the same. I ride conservative.
Any suggestions

yesiwood said:
Time for new shoes on the R1100 R
Mez4 or Dunlop 220 or Mich Road Pilot
All costs about the same. I ride conservative.
Any suggestions

I've run the Metzlers and the Dunlops and they feel the same to me. I've got Road Pilots coming for the VFR.

Take your pick. The Dunlops are certainly lasting longer than the Metzlers. I've got about 8K on the front Dunlop, which is more than I've got on the Metzlers. The rear 220 was cooked at 6K, but I crossed the country at 90+, fully loaded in 100F heat. That'll take some life off your tires, that's for sure.

tires

Last year I switched to BT020s on my 2000 R1100R. I like them so far. They are no where near as sticky as the OEM rubber but they do a lot better in wet or sandy conditions. The rear tire has a little bit of a flat spot in the center most likely from too much slab riding. Probably got 3,500 - 4,000 on these are they are wearing well. I think they cost around $135 front and $165 rear last year.

> I've got Road Pilots coming for the VFR.

You're going to love them. Just put Pilot Roads on my Sprint ST. Coming from super sticky (when HOT) D207RRs, the first few heat cycles were a bit iffy, but now that they're fully scrubbed they're excellent. I don't think I'll ever buy another tire brand besides Michelins. (Anakee's on the F, Roads on the ST, and Macadams on the K)

so far i've got 150 :brow
I think it depends on a lot of variables. I know people who regularly get 12-16K from tires, I rarely get more than 8k pm any brand on any bike.

I'm on my third set of Z4s. I've found them to be an excellent tire, good grip in dry conditions, predictable in wet conditions and they have been lasting me over 15000 Km. I can't compare them to the other tires youve selected as I have not run those. I have had a three sets of Bridgestones and a pair of Z2s on my R1100RS, and I prefer the Z4. I would like to try out a set of the new Z6s next year. According to Metzler's hype they should be an even better tire than the Z4s in all aspects.

I managed to destroy a Sportec rear in 1500 miles here in Marin.

Sticky, but man, that tire went away fast. I managed to get 3K out of the front, which was equal to a second rear.

I tried to order Pilot Roads and they were back ordered, so I've got a set of D208s coming for the VFR. Yummy.:evil

KBasa said:
I managed to destroy a Sportec rear in 1500 miles here in Marin.

Sticky, but man, that tire went away fast. I managed to get 3K out of the front, which was equal to a second rear.

I tried to order Pilot Roads and they were back ordered, so I've got a set of D208s coming for the VFR. Yummy.:evil

Question: How did you scrub in the Sprotecs? I've recently heard that newer MC tires, especially sticky ones, like a lot of heat cycles. I got my 207RRs at DRA, took 'em out for a 20 mile run, then did about 4 track sessions with them, followed by and hour of cooling down each time. I attribute that to them lasting more than 6000 miles. (I expected 3-3500 here in the Vegas heat)

The front (120/70-17) was BO'ed when I ordered, but Southwest MC Tires got em in within two weeks (just like they SAID they would. And they didn't charge my credit card until they shipped) Anymore I try to order tires when the wear bars FIRST start to get flat. Those 208's will be swell, too. I've been using the 190/50-17 rear Dunlops (Daytona size, same wheel) but it was a mistake on the Roads, I'm halfway tempted to sell the 190 on eBay and get a 180/55-17

dlearl said:
Question: How did you scrub in the Sprotecs? I've recently heard that newer MC tires, especially sticky ones, like a lot of heat cycles. I got my 207RRs at DRA, took 'em out for a 20 mile run, then did about 4 track sessions with them, followed by and hour of cooling down each time. I attribute that to them lasting more than 6000 miles. (I expected 3-3500 here in the Vegas heat)

The front (120/70-17) was BO'ed when I ordered, but Southwest MC Tires got em in within two weeks (just like they SAID they would. And they didn't charge my credit card until they shipped) Anymore I try to order tires when the wear bars FIRST start to get flat. Those 208's will be swell, too. I've been using the 190/50-17 rear Dunlops (Daytona size, same wheel) but it was a mistake on the Roads, I'm halfway tempted to sell the 190 on eBay and get a 180/55-17

Hmm.

I usually take them out and ride them alternating hard and easy over a 20 mile cycle. I do that three or four times and that usually does it.

Here's my breakin road, it starts a couple hundred feet from my door:
lucasvalley1a.jpg

Lucas Valley Road courtesy of Pashnit.com.

>Here's my breakin road, it starts a couple hundred feet from my door:

Lucky you. I've had the pleasure a few times. Several when I worked in SF. I houseboated in Sausalito and had my F. A year later I came to San Jose with my Sprint for a couple of weeks. (Was there on 9-11 as a matter of fact).

Here's mine:Red Rock NCA
Couldn't find a good pic showing the road, but it's a beautiful 13 mile one way loop that most drivers actually pull to the right and let you pass with no problems on.

Unfortunately, the wild burros that live there don't quite get the "rules of the road" But then when you can do a 90-10 e-stop to avoid one, you know your tires are good to go!:eek

ME880s

I see from the date you first posted this question that I am probably way to late to be of any help on this set of tires for you, but may help in future decisions or for someone else right now. My personal experience with both my RT and my cruiser are that for conservative riders (as you indicated) the Metzler ME880s are about as good a tire as you are gonna get. They are a great blend of stickiness and durability. There has been a great deal of discussion about tires on the BMWSporttouring web site and also over at chromeheads.org. I provided a pretty complete history of my tire wear on both bikes at this link on chromeheads a while back. I have the same user name over there (cruisin) as I do here. :burnout

How do the Road pilots do in heavy wet conditions?
I have been running Avon AV45/AV46's on the VFR800 ard the SV650. I like them alot in the dry and in fact even did a track day with them. I have found them to break away a bit on twisties in the wet.

Michelin Pilot Roads!!

On my '97 RT, I started with MEZ-4 GREAT~ Stick like glue!!! Lasted about 6500+ with 70% two up riding.

Went to Dunlop 220...flat spotted at 4500... gone at 5500. & I mean GONE!. W/O warning the steel showed through. When the center is gone, replace. Didn't like as well as MEZ4.

Now have Pilot Roads with 6000+ and still look good. Front is Great! Does not track rain grooves. They aren't as stickey as MEZ4, but fine for me and wife. No slipping. This will be my next set also.!! Run 40 front/42 rear.

drmajor said:
Went to Dunlop 220...flat spotted at 4500... gone at 5500. & I mean GONE!. W/O warning the steel showed through. When the center is gone, replace. Didn't like as well as MEZ4.

Wow. I got 6K hard miles out of my rear 220 and now have almost 10K on the front.

This was on an RS. I only get about 5K or so out of MeZ4s on my S.

The bike came with Mich' Macadamia nuts..... front tire displayed real bad cupping. Echo'ed by many a Mac'Nut owner. Rear tire was anti-climatic.

Metzler Mz4's felt like they were made with the Roadster in mind! They did everything quite well; but I thought I read somewhere that the Europeans say they slip a little when keeled waaaay over. I was recently informed that the new '6' will be a replacement for the '4', claiming better road-holding characteristics in wet conditions.

Metzler Marathon 880's: They seemed to work on the Harley Sportster, but I didn't like them on the Roadster. They were slippery in the rain, and I got no more mileage out of them..... It 'feels' like a hard compound.

Avon Azaro's: Straight line stability, confidence inspiring while leaning over at 110 mph, tracks well over rain grooves/bridges/irregularities. I got 2,000 miles more outa these tires than all the others I've tried!

Battalax 020's: The single most neutral tire I've ever ridden on! There is NO DRAMA between a lean to the left from a lean to the right.... smooooooth! But I don't like 'em. I felt.... or I didn't 'FEEL' any feedback from my tires. NONE! I remember a ride from Licks Observatory to Livermore that had me all shaken up.... actually 'SCARED'. It actually felt like my tires were slipping beneath me ON BRAND NEW CLEAN FRESHLY PAVED/TARRED ROAD SURFACE! I can't 'splain it.... but I backed off and rode with my tail between my legs outa there. Yet when on familar roads, bumpy and old, I showed that kid on his Suzuiki GS750 what an old fart on a beemer w/bags could do. I got used to 'em later, I just rode 'em to Alice's with 8,000 miles and balding (sTU-PiD!)

I just ordered some more Avon Az45 & 46 Sport Touring's. Though the Mich' Road Pilots have my interest, I can't afford frequent tire changes...... my Visa card debt is made up of the last three sets of tires and a major service.... I'm in trouble financially........

Anyway, that's my feedback. OH! I forgot to mention that I get 7,000 miles outa my tires. The exceptions are the Mz4 which got me 1,000 miles less, and the Avons which got me 2,000 miles more.

YO "Blue Knight" MIKE!

I knowingly ran very high air pressure in my 880's on a 600 pound Roadster with bags AND my fat ass......

I wrote that I got no better than my customary 7,000 miles out of them.

I'm curious what kind of air pressure and loads you carried on those Marathon 880's? Your muffler looks like that from an RS, so I presume you had the 1/2 or 3/4 fairing.... any bags?

By the way, with my ABS I no longer run high air pressures in my tires. I get fewer hops out of the tires as I brake across irregularities in the road..... my ABS is less likely to kick in unneccassarily.

(Anybody: Where can I find our spell check?)

Back