Thread: R1200GS switched power

mwsedam

Question R1200GS switched power-where's the best place?

I'm adding a relay and fuse box connected to the battery to power lights, XM, and gps. I don't want to tap into the switched power wire at the data(diagnostic) port at the rear of the bike(just not comfortable with that). I'd rather tap into switched power at the additional accessory port I'm adding or somewhere else if someone has a better location. Anyone know which one of the wires is the switched power? I want to say the striped wire was switched power on my K12LT, but I can't remember. Thanks.

Mike
    Last edited by mwsedam; 08-22-2006 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwsedam
    I'm adding a relay and fuse box connected to the battery to power lights, XM, and gps. I don't want to tap into the switched power wire at the data(diagnostic) port at the rear of the bike(just not comfortable with that). I'd rather tap into switched power at the additional accessory port I'm adding or somewhere else if someone has a better location. Anyone know which one of the wires is the switched power? I want to say the striped wire was switched power on my K12LT, but I can't remember. Thanks.

Mike

Wiring diagram is your friend:

http://www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS-WD2.pdf

Now have a ball.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

mwsedam

Thanks

I appreciate it. I told my wife not to expect to see me for a few days.

While the diagram is nice.... you really don't need it.

There are several ways to take power. The easiest place I found was using the accesory plug wire. From there you can add a small fuse box with several outs and your good to go. The moment you turn on your scoot the devices will power on and when you do the shutoff bythe ignition you get a few minutes extra time to shut down. Pretty kewl stuff...

Using the hot wire to the accessory plug has the added benefit of being the place that BMW recommends for this sort of thing.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

mjuskiw
    for twenty bucks or so BMW has a part that is used to add an accesory port. It plugs in between an existing port and the harness and leaves you with two free wires to the side. Nice thing: you can take it off and and leave no evidence you tapped in.

Im looking at the tag it has the following #'s
    K589
    KSRO
    4523246 01
    2 316 621
    E9169F
    15.03 05
    and under the bar code 02316621

I found this after I tapped the green wire.
    I basically copied from this site

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...cal/index.html

MJJ
    Akron Ohio

mjuskiw
    BTW I had the terminal blocks on the side of the bike but have since moved them into the tank bag for safe keeping. It all fits in a Radio shack project box very neatly.

MJJ