Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NGK Plug Caps

NGK Plug Caps

Has been so long since I installed plug wires and caps on my /6 have forgotten; is it necessary or recommended to remove some of the outer black rubber before installing the spark plug wires into the NGK caps? Or can the entire wire be pushed onto the contact spike without ang cutting/mods. Thanks
    sport tourer

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar
    thanks for bringing up the subject
    just today I noticed that the right side plug cap slides on and off real easy, so is the NGK cap the way to go, is that the normal replacement or should I look at all new wires,

Cut about 3/8" off the end of the plug wire. Then screw on the new cap.
    Click here for Tales of Motorcycles and Life
    - BMW MOA Lifetime Member #18854

NGK plug caps

I am more than a little dense: 3/8 inch cut off the entire end of the ignition wire or just the black rubber sheath.
    sport tourer

Bill Burke
    Those that haven't done new plug wires and/or new caps before may not be aware of this: the plug caps just screw on and off the wires. The caps have a pasta-like squiggly brass screw in them that makes contact with the wire inside the insulated "plug wire" when you screw the plug cap onto the new wire. I would have to assume that the prior poster meant to suggest you cut a little off the end (insulation and all) just to "freshen up" and make a clean break prior to screwing on the new plug cap. With regard to wire length, longer is better: You can always cut more off, but you can't add more later. This is important if you use the shorting method and forgot that you need a little more length in the wire to fit it over the end of the spoke...

Tip: If you're installing new ngk wires, make sure you get 'em plugged ALL THE WAY into the coils. Press harder than you think. When they really seat, you'll know.

Take your wire cutting pliars and snip off the entire end of the flexible wire thingy, especially including the center wire. That exposes cleaner wire to the screw on the NGK cap.

Be sure the NGK caps are 500 ohm resistor type, right angle shape, short.

Before screwing the caps onto the wires, remove the rubber boot thingy, lubricate with WD-40, and slide onto the flexible wire thingy. Then, after the cap is screwed on, slide the rubber boot thingy back down to cover the end of the NGK cap--hopefully to keep out water, dirt, and spooge*.

*right coast translation of left coast "gorp", or "crud".

pmdave

Quote Originally Posted by pmdave
    Take your wire cutting pliars and snip off the entire end of the flexible wire thingy, especially including the center wire. That exposes cleaner wire to the screw on the NGK cap.
    That part is right.

> Be sure the NGK caps are 500 ohm resistor type, right angle shape, short.

5000 ohms (5K), not 500. Airheads are better off with 1k if you can find them. But 5k NGK is MUCH better than stock. Dunno about the later model bikes. But I would assume that 5k NGK will work just fine.

The Boyer Digital Ignition requires a 5,000 ohm spark plug cap, lower resistance plug caps can result in ignition damage.

When you fit the spark plug cap to the wire, and the cap to the sparkplug, place a light smear of silicon dielectric grease just inside the plug cap cavities to keep water out, and to prevent the cap from seizing onto the sparkplug.

On an annual basis, measure the cap resistance to be sure it's aproximately 5,000 ohms, I've had a couple that went to a high resistance state ( over 20,000 ohms).

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by RODSHERIDAN
    On an annual basis, measure the cap resistance to be sure it's aproximately 5,000 ohms, I've had a couple that went to a high resistance state ( over 20,000 ohms).
    The crap metal ones that BMW OEM'd from Beru have been measured at over a mega-ohm in a bike that was still running. A WIDE range of symptoms can be caused by crap plug caps. That is why anybody with trouble starting, bad mileage, bad plug readings, surging, stalling or anything else that has the remotest possibility of being spark related should junk the "BMW" caps and install NGKs. NGKs are pretty much permanent, unlike the crap stock ones.

Tip: Dielectric grease is sold in condom-like packets at cheapo cage bits stores as "Bulb Grease."

JohnP

Is this discussion also for /7 models?

I still have the OEM plug wires/caps on my '84 R100. Are there NGK replacements for them as well?

Since all Airheads are at least 10 years old I'd recommend new wires & the NGK caps. If you are running a Boyer MicroDigital or the factory electronic ignition you need the 5000 ohm caps. The 1000 ohm caps are fine for points & most bike shops sell the NGKs or buy them with new wires from Rocky Point Cycles website.
    John Borella
    MOA Ambassador
    Danielson, Ct.

JohnP
    Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr
    Since all Airheads are at least 10 years old I'd recommend new wires & the NGK caps. If you are running a Boyer MicroDigital or the factory electronic ignition you need the 5000 ohm caps. The 1000 ohm caps are fine for points & most bike shops sell the NGKs or buy them with new wires from Rocky Point Cycles website.
    Great, thx.

Plug caps.

Japanese NGK caps are not allowed on BMW's.

So what wires and caps did we decide on here? Cause I need to buy some for my 92GSPD.

Quote Originally Posted by 25094
    Japanese NGK caps are not allowed on BMW's.
    From your owners manual: "Aftermarket komponentz are VERBOTTEN becauz zey cost zignifigantly less und zey depriff der Korporation from ze rightful profitz! Zey vill also depriff ze dealerz from zerviz revenuz!"