• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

About to buy r1100s.........

fultwst

O.K. I think I am ready to become a bmw rider. After playing around with the aprilias and Ducatis I think the big german twin might be my next ride. The r1100s seems to be what would suit me best. I want a two up bike that still feels sporty. I found a couple 2001 bikes in my price range of $8500. Any feed back for this would be first time buyer is apprecieted........... Paul

Gofer the Beemer

I never thought I would be a beemer owner, then I bought a 2001 R1100RL (a roadster - or naked bike). Very, very happy with it, then I traded it for a 2004 Rockster when I saw one in the showroom and road it, er I mean rode it. They burn a little oil while they get broken in, but the quality of the bike has me smiling every day. If you are buying an experienced bike then you won't burn the oil.
I believe there are quite a few s-bikers on here that you will hear from. Good luck and happy motoring.

Plus, owning a beemer helped me lose weight - improved my concentration - lowered my cholesterol - and enabled me to leap tall buildings with a single bound!

I also have a 2000 R1100R and love it. The R1100S is a very nice sporty bike but for two-up riding I would consider the R1150RS. It's a little more passenger friendly and has a bigger fuel tank.

MarkF

That is interesting about your passenger seat Mark. My 1996 R850R has the largest pillion seat I have seen on a BMW. My girlfriend loves it, and can move all over the place for comfort. Now that I have solved the surging problem, I love my BMW. The handling is great, the ride is plush, and I look forward to riding it every day.

Surging???

Thanks for the feed back guys. This oil surging thing has me a little curious. Anything I should be warned of? Is it similar to the Zx-11 oil pan problem were the oil pan lacks an adequet baffle to controll movement upon excelleration? Also are there lemon years for the r1100s? I know that the model has been around for some time. I wonder about any mile stone evolutions......... Thanks......... ~Paul

Last edited:
It's really not "oil surging", it's a rideability issue. Some bikes do it and some don't. I have a 99S that doesn't.

I've got 35K on mine and aside from an issue with a failed seal at 5K miles, it's been bulletproof.

There have been a few different iterations of it, including a "Sport" model that sported taller suspension and a wider rear wheel. I have one of those. The wide rear wheel measures 5.5" across and accepts a 180 section tire as opposed to the standard 5" rim with a 170 section tire.

They're available with and without ABS. Look for the ABS sensors on the wheels.

There are a couple different bar setups available; comfort bars mount on top of the triple clamp, while the standard ones mount below. There were different shields available too. A short one and a "touring shield" that's a little taller.

There really aren't any "milestone" bikes, except for the "dual spark" motors introduced in the 2004 model year. They offer better emissions and from what I've heard, never, ever surge.

And remember, the Mandarin ones are the fastest. :D

Do a google search for Pelican Parts R1100S forum and check that site out. Those guys know all about S bikes.

fultwst said:
After playing around with the aprilias and Ducatis...

Hello Paul.
So your contemplating on buying an R1100S model, that is a fun bike! I do not own one (have ridden them of course) so I can't be of too much help to you but, maybe my two friends in Connecticut will chime in on this thread and add some enlightenment to the comforts, durability, etc. of the R1100S.

Paul, as you have played around with Aprilias and Ducatis, may I ask what models of Aprilias and Ducatis you played around with? I am currently looking at the Aprilia Tuono or the Falco, and the Ducati ST4s ABS.

Did you have any reliability problems with the Aprilias or the Ducs?
How about the comfort of the bikes and the maintenance costs? I know the Ducatis are very expensive to maintain but, the people who own them claim it is worth the price.

Although this is a BMW format, any information that you have concerning these two Italian manufactureres bikes would be much appreciated as I have often found that many of the various brand marcs format sights can be biased on opinions. It would be interesting to know your feelings about these brands as you are contemplating becoming a BMW owner.

Good luck with your possible purchase, I am sure that you would be happy with the R1100s or the R1100RS.

Thanks and ride safe.

Last edited:
I boaught One!!!!!!!!

Thats right, I am now the prowd owner of a beautiful 2001 r1100s with full carbon bits and only 5900 miles on her! I need to buy a stock clear wind screen as I am into video and my screen is solid black. It looks great but will not serve my needs. Anybody want to trade? I also need a seat cowl. Black or Carbon.
DDHR1150 , I must tell you that the Italian bikes are a blast to ride. The two brand mentioned are very different from each other IMHO. I feel that the aprilias are damn near bullet proof when compared to the Ducatis. The rotax motor is amazing for its ability to consistantly deliver gobbs of power all through the power band. aprilia does a fine job of coupleing a great motor to a wonderfull chassis. Ducati knows what they are doing of course but you have to put up with thier less than reliable electronics. My aprilia is the Mille-R. And my Ducati is the simple air cooled monster. I think that the "less is more philosiphy" is why I love my monster so much.
As for the tuono vs. Falco thing, I think it boils down to how aggresive do you like to be on a bike. The Tuono is a bike that brings out the hooligan in you and if you don't have a hooligan in you, then get the Falco. They are very light and flickable and in that reguard, very different from BMW. But I am very happy with my new ride. I wanted reliability in a two up bike that I don't think the Ducati STS can deliver.......... ~Paul

Last edited:
lorazepam said:
That is interesting about your passenger seat Mark. My 1996 R850R has the largest pillion seat I have seen on a BMW.

I was talking about the R1100S he was looking at. The R1150RS is more passenger friendly than a R1100S. My Roadster's passenger seat is great - it's big enough to strap a tent AND a sleeping bag to it.

MarkF

just bought my 2004 r1100s and really enjoying it .previous bike azx1100 kaw blew over backwards at a high rate of sppeed and cought fire.thought i would try a more"mature"ride. the bike has good linear power and alot of tourqe.very comfortable at 80mph.the seat however nearly castrated me on my first 500 mile ride.i ended up at walmart after th first 250 miles and bought a roll of string and a contour foam pillow for my candy ass. it is starting to break in though.there are some after market seats available.i have ordered some after market goodies higher bars lower pegs seat bag black screen 1.12ct diamond ring.oh yea my wife keeps using my new purchase against me so i figure ill show her.well good luck with your purchase and if you are lucky enough to be married just tell your wife the ring comes with it!!!!!!!!!good luck wayne

airbiz'nuts are in danger...pillow and string help.

[i.the seat however nearly castrated me on my first 500 mile ride.i ended up at walmart after th first 250 miles and bought a roll of string and a contour foam pillow for my candy ass. it is starting to break in though.

I am very afraid to ask what you did with the string???:dunno :eek :idea

string

the string could have been used to pull my right testicle out of my abdomen.however gentle pressure on my right side while standing up at 80mph allowed me to return it to its proper place.

so many threads on seats...

over on the pelican parts board. i happen to be one of the few content with the stock seat. the wunderlich looks good though.

repoe3

jgr

jgr it was the candy that got broken in .just gettin back in the saddle again!!!!!!!!!however couldnt have done it without the foam pillow.p.s. the contour pillow has given me some good night sleep so it didnt go to waist! candy A.

pics of the bike.......

KBasa, It took a while but her she is.........

Attachments

• img_0207small.jpg
    img_0207small.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 159
Angeles Crest

I took that picture this morning up in Angeles Crest (One of the few places not on fire in California at the moment). We have a local hangout called Newcomb's Ranch that beats the Rock Store for killer roads. The Crest is about 35 miles north of Downtown L.A. and averages 5000 feet in elevation. Lots of fast sweepers and blue sky keeps me sane while living here!

Back