• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wisconsin Tofu and bean sprouts......

marK11LT said:
If you need them, bring your own, I don't think its legal here, and be careful with dem sprouts a cop may think its dope

Oh, C'mon we have tofu and sprouts here... we've just cleverly disguised them as cheese and sausage.

JCabranes said:
Oh, C'mon we have tofu and sprouts here... we've just cleverly disguised them as cheese and sausage.
Mmmm..... tofu sausage....... {insert gurgly noise in the back of throat ala Homer Simpson *here*}

boxergrrlie said:
Mmmm..... tofu sausage....... {insert gurgly noise in the back of throat ala Homer Simpson *here*}

Let's get Beans & Barley to truck in some vegetarian biscuits & gravy. Them carnivorous types will never eat the real thing again. :bottle

I can *SO* imagine you doing that too! :laugh :laugh :laugh

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JCabranes said:

I really like the tofu that is browned in a wok like the local carry out does it when I order the veggie dish. The tofu is in chunks like chicken and seems quite similar in texture, etc. Kind of weird, never had it like that anywhere but here.

FYI, as a general rule I find that trying to pass off tofu as meat (tofu burgers, tofu sausage, tofu chicken) is disgusting :sick . However, take some well seasoned tofu and fry it up (preferably in some type of animal fat) so that abit of a crust forms on the tofu and you have something that can be quite tasty. There is a chinese restaurant in town that does a passable job with tofu.

JCabranes said:
FYI, as a general rule I find that trying to pass off tofu as meat (tofu burgers, tofu sausage, tofu chicken) is disgusting :sick . However, take some well seasoned tofu and fry it up (preferably in some type of animal fat) so that abit of a crust forms on the tofu and you have something that can be quite tasty. There is a chinese restaurant in town that does a passable job with tofu.
If you like that kind of Chinese tofu, JC, I'd like to recommend Szechuan-style Mapo Tofu (sometimes spelled "dofu"). Based on red chili bean sauce and szchechuan peppercorns, it can be done with meat (usually minced pork) or without, and uses the real soft tofu. The stuff with the pork is out of this world...I consider it one of my all-time favorites (if we're with vegetarian friends, we'll share some of the meatless variety; and it's just as tasty).

If you're ever in a Chinese place (especially one that features real authentic Szechuan cooking) that has that on the menu, I highly recommend it.

I agree- my brother used to saute bits of tofu to use in Chili and you'd really be surprised how well that works, especially the next day and beyond. Those tofu bits really absorb the flavours in the chili while still retaining that good browned flavour.

The_Veg said:
Those tofu bits really absorb the flavours in the chili while still retaining that good browned flavour.

Exactly! Tofu picks up the flavor of whatever it's cooked with. Hence, crappy cooks make crappy tofu dishes. Stir-frying tofu in hot oil (ancient Malaysian/Chinese hot oil recipe: Pour cooking oil into bottom of wok or skillet. Heat. Toss in one or two red chili's and saute the chili till it turns black. Toss the chili, keep the oil.) with other fresh items and the stuff is great.

And tofu isn't a meat substitute -- it's actually (I know this is heresy in Wisconsin) a CHEESE substitute! It's totally lactose free. I also use it instead of yogurt to make tandoori chicken. (Another tough one -- take one packet of tandoori chicken spice mix, add to appropriate quantity of yogurt or soft tofu, mix, marinate chicken parts for an hour or more, then toss it on the barbeque.)

OK, today's ride WILL include a stop at the international food market!

drharveys said:
And tofu isn't a meat substitute -- it's actually (I know this is heresy in Wisconsin) a CHEESE substitute!

BLASPHEMY!!!! HERETIC, YOUR WORDS FILL ME WITH A DESIRE TO BURN SOMETHING!!!! I think perhaps I'll grill a nice fat beef steak, with onions and mushrooms... and maybe some grilled corn on the cob or potato (loaded with sour cream, bacon and CHEESE!!!). :eat

2beers said:
Enough with the food discussion, lets ride!!! :blah

I will just point out that almost every rider that I've met lives by some version of the credo "Eat, Ride, Sleep." We are just discussing the eat portion... ride portion = different thread. :eat

Big Dog

Wasn't the world's largest brat cooked somewhere in Wisconsin today?

breeze

Back