• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wisconsin 2007: The Bratwurst Thread

mika

Still Wondering
Open for posts:

From the Bratwurst Pages:
Brats, a Way of Life
Bratwurst is a compound German word - brat means fry, wurst means sausage. Bratwurst is pronounced with a short A (rhymes with "lot"). A Madison TV station runs a promotion called "Take your brat to work today." They're talking about bratwurst, not children.

In Wisconsin, bratwurst are served virtually everywhere during "grilling season" which generally runs from May through September. They are served at a myriad of outdoor events, as well as in nearly every Wisconsin backyard. As you drive through a Wisconsin town on a clear summer evening, you will see the haze from backyard cookouts lazily wafting up into the sky. Stop, roll down your car windows, and enjoy the heavenly aroma. If you follow the aroma to its source and introduce yourself, you may be invited to join the feast. Wisconsinites are friendly people.

Where to go for good brats? How do you cook them.

Straight Johnsonville brats. Par boiled in beer and onions. Grill is hot. Place on grill with said onions. Turn as necessary to avoid splitting. Cook til just about burnt, so the casing has a hint of crunch to it.

Serve with ketchup, mustard, onions.....and of course lots of sour kraut!!

All washed down with a good German Beer!

Repeat till your full or overcome by gluttony!

2 pounds fresh bratwurst sausages
4 onions, thinly sliced (some like white, some like yellow)
1 cup butter (you can never have too much butter)
24 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottled beer (millers)
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
10 hoagie rolls
DIRECTIONS:
drink a beer
Place in a large stock pot with the onions, butter,3 beers, and water to cover brats. Place pot over medium heat, and simmer for at least 15 to 20 minutes, but for better results and flavor try an hour minimally. drink a beer. Preheat grill for medium heat. drink a beer. Lightly oil grate.
LOW & SLOW (PATIENCE): Low and slow is the only way to grill brats. Wait until the coals are engulfed with white ash before placing the brats on the grate. drink a beer. If you are grilling with gas, start the flame at medium, then reduce to low when the brat juices start to flow.
HEAT THE MEAT: Watch the brats closely, turning them every few minutes. Drink a beer. Rotate the links from hotter to cooler portions of the grill as they cook.
DO NOT POKE THEM: To retain juices and flavor, always use tongs instead of a fork when turning brats, to avoid piercing the casing. But do drink beer.
THE LOOK YOU WANT: Consider brats done when casing is evenly browned and a bit crisp and they've been on the grill for about 25 minutes, or when the internal temperature reaches 180??F. or when you are down to 3-4 beers.
THE ROLLS: Don't screw the pooch here, you got this far, now you have to finish this the right way. DO NOT USE A HOTDOG BUN! Get a nice fresh Hoagie Roll.
THE SAUCE: THE KEY INGRIEDIENT! Lift those cooked onions out of the brat pot that you boiled them in, with a slotted spoon, and adding those ale-soaked bad boys to the sandwich for the best beer flavor! Top with ketchup, horseradish mustard, relish and saurkraut. wash down with beer.
THE FINAL TOUCH, AMBIEANCE! It is a proven fact, a key to the perfect brat experience is the ambiance. Eating a brat in the parking lot of Lambeau is optimal, but having the game on with friends & family gathered around is fine too. If you are off season of there is not a game on, turn on some polka. This seems to have a transcendental effect and places the mind in an optimal place allowing the savoring effect.

We're still upset about El Chorizo getting dropped from the Sausage Races at Miller Park during Brewers games.

Rasbutan said:
Serve with ketchup, mustard, onions.....and of course lots of sour kraut!!

All washed down with a good German Beer!

Repeat till your full or overcome by gluttony!

The sides are a major issue. This is where individual taste comes in but as Mark pointed out it is easy to screw the pooch.

I like ketchup with my burger but not my brat. Mustard was made for brats :D

What about relish?
Pickles?
Sweet or Dill?
Potato salad?

boofer said:
we always grill them first, THEN let them soak in all that nice sacrificial beer.

:eat :eat :eat
boofer,

I know you are from Wisconsin and all that, but... THAT'S JUST NOT RIGHT!!!

John

p.s. In the absence of a Packer game, a Brewer's game on the radio works nicely.

Maybe not...but iffens you boil or soak em first just to burn it all away on the grill....or let them suck up that beer while staying warm. It's how my retarded German family has always done it. Some say tomato.... :brow

M1ka said:
Sue two questions
1. Do they ride BMW's?
2. Can we get them at the Rally?

1) Probably. :D

2) Hmmmm........... probably depends on if the Brewers are in town. We'll have to work on that.
:eat

I'm experimenting with a bratwurst corndog - call it a cornbrat (trying to join the two basic foodgroups - fats and carbs). If I survive I'll post a report.

JCabranes said:
I'm experimenting with a bratwurst corndog - call it a cornbrat (trying to join the two basic foodgroups - fats and carbs). If I survive I'll post a report.

dipped in cheese sauce and you have a weiner

JCabranes said:

Serve it on a stick, and you might be on to something!
:D

JCabranes said:

also try it with a beer batter coating

Chili Cheese Cornbrat... yummmm

I'm all for the chili cheese cornbrat... too messy for a stick (though if I become a member of the Wisconsin BMW Club maybe I'll field test it at a meeting - you bring the bromo seltzer - and the beeno)... beer batter is a given.

Hmmm anyone want to participate in a pre-rally cornbrat fry??? You'll have to come to Wisconsin.

In Rogers City, Michigan, there is a meat market named Plath's. They have the best smoked bratwurst in the world. Along with the brats, Paper Maker Pilsner from the new brewery in Alpena, Michigan makes a superb combination.
These brats are of such high quality that they do not cause any heartburn.

Take Care & Ride Safe
Pat Carol

Back