• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Route recommendations Jax, FL to Crested Butte, CO

I will be leaving Jacksonville, Florida on September 7th headed for Crested Butte, Colorado. I'd like to avoid the slab as much as possible. I'm looking for advice on good secondary roads or must see spots along the way. Just starting to formulate a route now. I'll be camping along the way. Any advice is appreciated.

When I'm not under a time constraint, my GPS has an off road mode that draws a straight line from where I am to my destination. I meander along and have found some of the most out of the way places in the USA. The local diners around noon with the regulars can always be very interesting. Get a Parks Pass from the National Parks Service and plan your trip around a few of them.

Most of all...leave early and arrive late. SQUEEZE every minute out of the time you have! :thumb

Get to Amarillo, Texas and take I-40 west. Yes it's the big slab, but it's high speed and it's actually pretty nice for an interstate especially when you hit the border of NM. It's beautiful out there.

Go to Tucumcari on I-40 and then take Route 104 from Tucumcari to Las Vegas, NM. 104 is a great road!!! Worth the trip!! Zero traffic and spectacular in parts. I love that road. Be sure and have a full tank at Tucuncari.

From Las Vages take Route 518 to Taos. Taos has plenty of places to stay or camp. Eat breakfast at The Bean if you're there in the morning.

From Taos, take Route 84 to Pogosa Springs, CO . As Tony the Tiger used to say: Gerrrrrrate! From Pogosa Springs, take 160 north to South Fork and pick up Hwy 149 north to Hwy 50 just west of Gunnison. (You come out at this very cool lake ) From there it's a straight shot to Crested Butte.

Hint: If you turn west on Hwy 50 west of Gunnison and pick up Hwy 92 going up to Crawford it just doesn't get any better riding the Black Canyon. I've ridden all these roads and absolutely love every one of them. Hope it works out for you.

From Amarillo west, it's all great out there.

Last edited:
Alternative from Taos

If you fnd yourself in Taos, try 522 north to Questa, then 38 east through Red River to Eagle Nest. Then US64 to Angle fire. Then 38 south to Mora. Finish on 518 back to Taos. The loop is a nice days ride and Aspens are at their best Last wk of Sept and First wk of October. Another option from Taos is US 64 to Tres Piedras then US64 to Chama. NOW THE BEST PART. At Chama take 17 north to Antonito. This road takes basicly the same route as the Cumbres Toltec narrow gauge railroad and runs along the Conejos River. This is the finest fall aspen colors in the world. (my opinion). At Antonito take 285 north then 160 west to South Fork. Then 149 north to Black Canyon of the Gunnison and intersection with US 50. This is one beautiful ride and goes through Creed, Lake City over Slumgullion Pass. If you want to see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and wish to wear out the sides of your tires try 92 along the north rim of the Canyon just west of Sapinero.

Back