• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

phase change cooling vests or water evap cooling vests?

D

DG123

i just read about bmw's phase change cooling vest and wondered what people thought about how it compared to ones that simply used water. any thoughts?
thanks.

I've not seen the vest, but do have a set of the BMW phase change underwear. It works well in cool or cold weather, but only so-so in slightly warm weather.

On the other hand I have an ORI evaporative vest that works very well in hot weather.

Unless they have had a breakthrough in the material, the phase change item might work for a short comute but would run out of phases to change during a 10 hour ride across Kansas in August.

I bought my wife a phase change vest from Glacier Tek because she overheats on hot days. It works very well for her. On long trips we put the cooling packs in a large baggie, add some ice, and in twenty minutes the packs are charged. Slide the packs in the vest and my wife is set for at least three hours. So far she doesn't need the vest on untill after noon, then add three hours of cooling, about that time the sun is going down and cooling off. If we need to recharge the packs during the day we put them back in the baggie, get a couple cups of ice from a C-store and have a twenty min break. (my favorite is DQ) The packs are recharged and we are on our way. She has had her vest only about three months but she is very happy with and I think I may get one for myself. The vest does perform just the way it was described on the web site. A friend of mine bought one from cool ride because it was cheaper. I have not had the chance to compare the two vest to see why the Glacier Tek is higher priced. I hope to compare them this week. The cooling packs look to be the same so the difference maybe in the vest itself. Will post a comparison note when I can.
Dave

I bought one from "Chilloutdesignes" this past summer. I think it saved my life going through Kansas (112 degrees all day) and I enjoyed using it for the whole month of July on my trip. (See post at bottom of sig line)

It works well, but I cannot compare to any other. You drench it, wring it and wear it. If you want something a little dryer next to your body and you have time, you drench it (or place in bag filled with water), wring it out and let it dry in the sun. The internal fibers still hold the water but the liner is dry.

I found it works very well with newer technologies "Microfiber" underclothes that wick moisture away from the body.

That's my $0.02

Plus it works well for a warm insulation layer when dry. Extra $0.05 :D

Doc

cooling vests

I have had moderate success in very hot humid weather with the evaporative cooling vest and wicking underwear. However, it is still better than just a T shirt under the Aerostich. Where they really are great is in dry hot climate conditions, but you need both the wicking underwear and the vest. It seems like the laws of physics control the effectiveness.

The Phase Change vest that I have does not use evaporation for cooling, in my opinon, this makes it a better choice in hot humid conditions. My wife tried the evaporation method in Florida this summer and it didn't work, that is why we changed to the Phase Change vest.
Dave

Dreamrider said:
The Phase Change vest that I have does not use evaporation for cooling, in my opinon, this makes it a better choice in hot humid conditions. My wife tried the evaporation method in Florida this summer and it didn't work, that is why we changed to the Phase Change vest.
Dave

I think the relative humidity would come into play here. Florida is so humid there is little evaporation. Other states are less humid, offering more benefit from the cooling effects of evaporation.

SFDOC said:
I bought one from "Chilloutdesignes" this past summer. I think it saved my life going through Kansas (112 degrees all day) and I enjoyed using it for the whole month of July on my trip.

It works well, but I cannot compare to any other. You drench it, wring it and wear it. If you want something a little dryer next to your body and you have time, you drench it (or place in bag filled with water), wring it out and let it dry in the sun. The internal fibers still hold the water but the liner is dry.

I found it works very well with newer technologies "Microfiber" underclothes that wick moisture away from the body.

Plus it works well for a warm insulation layer when dry. Extra $0.05 :D
Doc

+1
I bought mine in Spokane in 2004 after having one that had the crystals. It was heavy & didn't dry out when you wanted it to. The Chill-Out kept me almost sane coming thru Kansas in July also. Great product & it does work very well as a layer in the cool mornings. :wave

cooling vests, cont....

thanks all for your $.02. i love this forum. smart experienced people willing to share. how good is that!
david

Back