• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best Tires for R1100RT

R

rbeddy

I am in need of new tires for my 1997 R1100RT. In the past I have alway put Dunlops on. You guys are the experts... you ride so many more miles than I do. I don't do any sport riding - cornering - Mainly touring... I have just started to ride more often to work to save gas. In your opinion, what is the best "high mileage" tire for my bike??

I have Michelins on my bike. Started out with Michelin Macadam 100X front and rear. The front wore out quite a bit before the rear. I now have a Pilot Road front tire and a Macadam rear. No safety issues because the Macadam rear has an almost identical tread pattern to the Pilot Road rear tire.

So far, I like what I have got. Good control and a very nice ride.

2000 R1100RT (113000 KM)
Michelin Pilot Roads are my choice! Great grip dry or wet! I've just reached 18000 KM on this set right now although they are down to the wear bars! Two up for the last 11000 KM! No cupping on front! 38 lbs front, 42 lbs rear.

I've had Avons (Av45/46) but they do not grip near as well, especially when wet, although I can get similar distance.

I have not tried Metzler.

Fred

rbeddy said:
I am in need of new tires for my 1997 R1100RT. In the past I have alway put Dunlops on. You guys are the experts... you ride so many more miles than I do. I don't do any sport riding - cornering - Mainly touring... I have just started to ride more often to work to save gas. In your opinion, what is the best "high mileage" tire for my bike??

Metzeler ME-880's

rbeddy said:
I don't do any ... cornering. In your opinion, what is the best "high mileage" tire for my bike??

Well dang, how do you get back home again if you never corner? :lol

Seriously, after 40K mile on Bridgestone BT020s I installed a set of Metzler Marathon 880s on my 1100RT. I researched several boards - everyone seems to routinely get excellent mileage out of them, >10-12K miles. Some people reported 18K on the front.

That was back in July prior to the National in Vermont. I put on 3K miles 2-up & fully loaded on hot roads with minimal wear. Amazing!

The real suprise is how they handle. I was concerned that I might be sacrificing performance for longevity. No way! They honestly turn in nicer than the 'Stones and seem to be just as sticky.

Heel toe wear

Have had a problem with uneven wear with the tires on my 1150RT. Its not cupping but similar. I questioned the MIchilin man at the rally and he identified the wear as a common problem. When the tread patten is simetrical and even ,the lugs in the pattern wear more on the back than the front, sort of the same as on the heel of a shoe. He told me that michilen identified this problem when they made the Pilot with a staggered pattern to lessen this type of wear. Hope this helps. :)

Done Lopped!

aaaaaa said:
Dunlop D220's. 13K and going strong.
robert
I have ridden Dunlops for 20 years, K491 Elites for last ten years. I went to their website and requested their opinion and they recommended the D220's so bought a pair. Never thought I'd be able to tell the difference in tires but do feel they are a better ride.

Tires....

I recently put ME880's on my RT, so far 1500 miles later they are still, round still black, I like the handling of them, and maybe more mileage than the Metezler 4's I had on there before..

Where do you source the German air? Are ordinary stick on weights OK or is a better balance acheved with German weights?
robert

Back