Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bill Mayer or Sargent saddles?

SpeedMK

Bill Mayer or Sargent saddles?

To those of you who own them or have compared them, which one is better for comfort and durability?

I'm not looking for a heated saddle.

Thank you for your opinions.

I have had both seats on different bikes. For me the Mayer is better. Sargent is one size fits all . Bill Mayer is custom made for you and he will make adjustments to it after, to make it right if nesscary. I currently have a Bill Mayer leather on my R12RT and love it .

New convert to BMW / 1100rt. Bike came with a Sargent seat. Recently completed a one day ride (mini iron-butt) 750+ miles, and felt pretty good. Unfortunately can't offer any help on the Mayer seat. Ride safe.

Intermediate Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    We did our homework on Corbin, Bill Mayer, Rick Mayer, Russell, and Sargent. After making a final comparison at the rally, we decided on Rick Mayer. He seemed to do the most when it comes to custom fitting. My husband and I both gave measurements and placed an order. Another thing we liked is that Rick will build the saddle using his pans, then once you've received it you send yours back to him. There is a deposit involved but no loss of riding time.
    He also asked questions about what we like or don't like about our current saddles. (sliding forward, posture, etc.)

Of course we haven't received them yet so I can't tell you much more than that. Anything will be an improvement over the stock saddle tho.

You might consider Rich's custom seats

I considered the various mail order custom seat, but preferred the on-site option. I chose Rich's Custom in Seatle and am very pleased. I was probably one of his more difficult customers since I had a couple of blisters from my ride from PA. They cleared up on the way back, even as I was averaging over 100 more miles per day on the way home.

I have Rick Mayer's leather saddles on my R1200RT (above) and my R1150RT.

I am very pleased with both. They have made my riding much more comfortable compared to the stock saddles.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

I've got two bikes with Sargents and two bikes with Rocky Mayer (Bill Mayer) saddles.

If you're looking for a straight replacement seat that's going to work great, not chafe your bodywork and have great quality, Sargent is hard to beat.

If you're looking for a nicely built, custom fit seat, I can vouch for the Bill Mayer seats I've got. They both fit great, fit my butt great and fit the bike great. Your stock pan will get remanufactured with the new seat.

I will say that having the seat actually fit to you, in person, makes a big difference. It takes a couple of test rides and an hour or two for Rocky to be confident your seat fits you like it should.

If you can ride in to Ojai and get it done, go with Rocky. If you can only order it through the mail, try the Sargent.

Oh - fill out your profile so folks know where you live, OK?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean

I have Rick Mayer's leather saddles on my R1200RT (above) and my R1150RT.

I am very pleased with both. They have made my riding much more comfortable compared to the stock saddles.

I'll second that.....love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    I will say that having the seat actually fit to you, in person, makes a big difference. It takes a couple of test rides and an hour or two for Rocky to be confident your seat fits you like it should.

If you can ride in to Ojai and get it done, go with Rocky. If you can only order it through the mail, try the Sargent.
    I'll second KBasa. I'm lucky enough to live within a couple hours' ride from Ojai, so I rode up to Bill Mayer's shop and had my seat made. If I couldn't be there in person, I'm not sure I would order a "custom" seat sight unseen.

Paul Beck (#122799)
    Long Beach, CA

2006 R 1200 GS
    2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910S

Visit My Web Site or My Roaadtrip Web Log

Another second on Rick Mayer saddles. I really like mine. No experience with Sargent.

Quote Originally Posted by hlothery
    I'll second that.....love mine.
    08 R1200GS aka Stormy.
    1989 Honda GB500 aka Ton Up.

I hate deer and love venison

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I have a Sargent on my RT and am about to get on on my VFR. However just like each seat is different, so is each butt. So if you can try them both out.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

It's sure confusing to have two Mayer brothers competing in the motorcycle custom saddle business. Lessee if I got this straight...

Bill Mayer Saddles (BMS) is run by "Rocky", eldest son of the late Bill Meyer. Rocky uses his own dense foam cores (three differend densities available)applied to your saddle pan, then shaped to fit your butt, and covered with the material of your choice, including leather. Note that the history is slightly clouded since dad Bill sold the rights to his first Bill Mayer seat design (using added springs) to Russell seats. Bill then came up with the idea of a complete replaceable foam core, and that's the idea the Rocky continues.

Bill Mayer Saddles is located at 350 Verano Drive, Ojai, CA tel 800 242-7625, or www.BillMayerSaddles.com

Rick Mayer Cycle, run by Rocky's brother Rick (second son of the late Bill), glues up pieces of various density foam to build up the stock foam core to the appropriate shape, and covers it with material of your choice. Rick Mayer is at 5778 Heavenly Valley Lane, Anderson CA 1-866-357-2888 or www.RickMayerCycle.com Rick says "If I can't make you comfortable, I'll buy it back."

Both Rocky and Rick are often found at the same rallies--in different locations. Both offer to have you visit the shop and get a fitting. Both do good work. Both claim to make "Mayer" saddles. Rocky is bigger and bolder, Rick is smaller and quieter.

How am I doing?

pmdave

SpeedMK
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdave
    It's sure confusing to have two Mayer brothers competing in the motorcycle custom saddle business. Lessee if I got this straight...

Bill Mayer Saddles (BMS) is run by "Rocky", eldest son of the late Bill Meyer. Rocky uses his own dense foam cores (three differend densities available)applied to your saddle pan, then shaped to fit your butt, and covered with the material of your choice, including leather. Note that the history is slightly clouded since dad Bill sold the rights to his first Bill Mayer seat design (using added springs) to Russell seats. Bill then came up with the idea of a complete replaceable foam core, and that's the idea the Rocky continues.

Bill Mayer Saddles is located at 350 Verano Drive, Ojai, CA tel 800 242-7625, or www.BillMayerSaddles.com

Rick Mayer Cycle, run by Rocky's brother Rick (second son of the late Bill), glues up pieces of various density foam to build up the stock foam core to the appropriate shape, and covers it with material of your choice. Rick Mayer is at 5778 Heavenly Valley Lane, Anderson CA 1-866-357-2888 or www.RickMayerCycle.com Rick says "If I can't make you comfortable, I'll buy it back."

Both Rocky and Rick are often found at the same rallies--in different locations. Both offer to have you visit the shop and get a fitting. Both do good work. Both claim to make "Mayer" saddles. Rocky is bigger and bolder, Rick is smaller and quieter.

How am I doing?

pmdave

Is it possible to have either one of the Mayer sons make you a saddle without visiting their shop?

Which one is better/easier to deal with?

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedMK
    Is it possible to have either one of the Mayer sons make you a saddle without visiting their shop?

Which one is better/easier to deal with?

I've only dealth with Rick. We followed his detailed instructions from Texas, sent our height and weight, and the required photos of me and my wife on the bike. He built our saddles on factory seat pans, and they were perfect from the beginning. We just finished a 2900 mile, 2 up ride, and had nothing but appreciation for the job Rick did. I do not believe it is necessary to go to California to get a quality custom seat made. Rick was very nice, answered all questions by telephone or e-mail. He does tend to run a little late on delivery, got my saddle about one month after the promised date, but it was worth the wait. Highly recommend Rick Mayer.

No longer a member here
    I am sold on Sargent. Mainly because of the excellent service they are providing. Have a Sargent repro of the original seat on my K1 and love the quality of the seat.
    Have a basket-weave surface Sargent on my RT and rode this to the rally in Vermont two-up 630 miles in one day out there and 630 miles in one day home. neitehr my wife nor I had sore butts. Just aching legs and shoulders.