• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bill Mayer or Sargent saddles?

S

SpeedMK

To those of you who own them or have compared them, which one is better for comfort and durability?

I'm not looking for a heated saddle.

Thank you for your opinions.

I have had both seats on different bikes. For me the Mayer is better. Sargent is one size fits all . Bill Mayer is custom made for you and he will make adjustments to it after, to make it right if nesscary. I currently have a Bill Mayer leather on my R12RT and love it .

New convert to BMW / 1100rt. Bike came with a Sargent seat. Recently completed a one day ride (mini iron-butt) 750+ miles, and felt pretty good. Unfortunately can't offer any help on the Mayer seat. Ride safe.

We did our homework on Corbin, Bill Mayer, Rick Mayer, Russell, and Sargent. After making a final comparison at the rally, we decided on Rick Mayer. He seemed to do the most when it comes to custom fitting. My husband and I both gave measurements and placed an order. Another thing we liked is that Rick will build the saddle using his pans, then once you've received it you send yours back to him. There is a deposit involved but no loss of riding time.
He also asked questions about what we like or don't like about our current saddles. (sliding forward, posture, etc.)

Of course we haven't received them yet so I can't tell you much more than that. Anything will be an improvement over the stock saddle tho.

You might consider Rich's custom seats

I considered the various mail order custom seat, but preferred the on-site option. I chose Rich's Custom in Seatle and am very pleased. I was probably one of his more difficult customers since I had a couple of blisters from my ride from PA. They cleared up on the way back, even as I was averaging over 100 more miles per day on the way home.

rt-saddle.jpg

I have Rick Mayer's leather saddles on my R1200RT (above) and my R1150RT.

I am very pleased with both. They have made my riding much more comfortable compared to the stock saddles.

I've got two bikes with Sargents and two bikes with Rocky Mayer (Bill Mayer) saddles.

If you're looking for a straight replacement seat that's going to work great, not chafe your bodywork and have great quality, Sargent is hard to beat.

If you're looking for a nicely built, custom fit seat, I can vouch for the Bill Mayer seats I've got. They both fit great, fit my butt great and fit the bike great. Your stock pan will get remanufactured with the new seat.

I will say that having the seat actually fit to you, in person, makes a big difference. It takes a couple of test rides and an hour or two for Rocky to be confident your seat fits you like it should.

If you can ride in to Ojai and get it done, go with Rocky. If you can only order it through the mail, try the Sargent.

Oh - fill out your profile so folks know where you live, OK? :D :buds

bmwdean said:
rt-saddle.jpg

I have Rick Mayer's leather saddles on my R1200RT (above) and my R1150RT.

I am very pleased with both. They have made my riding much more comfortable compared to the stock saddles.

I'll second that.....love mine.

KBasa said:
I will say that having the seat actually fit to you, in person, makes a big difference. It takes a couple of test rides and an hour or two for Rocky to be confident your seat fits you like it should.

If you can ride in to Ojai and get it done, go with Rocky. If you can only order it through the mail, try the Sargent.

I'll second KBasa. I'm lucky enough to live within a couple hours' ride from Ojai, so I rode up to Bill Mayer's shop and had my seat made. If I couldn't be there in person, I'm not sure I would order a "custom" seat sight unseen.

bms1.jpg

bms2.jpg

I have a Sargent on my RT and am about to get on on my VFR. However just like each seat is different, so is each butt. So if you can try them both out.

It's sure confusing to have two Mayer brothers competing in the motorcycle custom saddle business. Lessee if I got this straight...

Bill Mayer Saddles (BMS) is run by "Rocky", eldest son of the late Bill Meyer. Rocky uses his own dense foam cores (three differend densities available)applied to your saddle pan, then shaped to fit your butt, and covered with the material of your choice, including leather. Note that the history is slightly clouded since dad Bill sold the rights to his first Bill Mayer seat design (using added springs) to Russell seats. Bill then came up with the idea of a complete replaceable foam core, and that's the idea the Rocky continues.

Bill Mayer Saddles is located at 350 Verano Drive, Ojai, CA tel 800 242-7625, or www.BillMayerSaddles.com

Rick Mayer Cycle, run by Rocky's brother Rick (second son of the late Bill), glues up pieces of various density foam to build up the stock foam core to the appropriate shape, and covers it with material of your choice. Rick Mayer is at 5778 Heavenly Valley Lane, Anderson CA 1-866-357-2888 or www.RickMayerCycle.com Rick says "If I can't make you comfortable, I'll buy it back."

Both Rocky and Rick are often found at the same rallies--in different locations. Both offer to have you visit the shop and get a fitting. Both do good work. Both claim to make "Mayer" saddles. Rocky is bigger and bolder, Rick is smaller and quieter.

How am I doing?

pmdave

pmdave said:
It's sure confusing to have two Mayer brothers competing in the motorcycle custom saddle business. Lessee if I got this straight...

Bill Mayer Saddles (BMS) is run by "Rocky", eldest son of the late Bill Meyer. Rocky uses his own dense foam cores (three differend densities available)applied to your saddle pan, then shaped to fit your butt, and covered with the material of your choice, including leather. Note that the history is slightly clouded since dad Bill sold the rights to his first Bill Mayer seat design (using added springs) to Russell seats. Bill then came up with the idea of a complete replaceable foam core, and that's the idea the Rocky continues.

Bill Mayer Saddles is located at 350 Verano Drive, Ojai, CA tel 800 242-7625, or www.BillMayerSaddles.com

Rick Mayer Cycle, run by Rocky's brother Rick (second son of the late Bill), glues up pieces of various density foam to build up the stock foam core to the appropriate shape, and covers it with material of your choice. Rick Mayer is at 5778 Heavenly Valley Lane, Anderson CA 1-866-357-2888 or www.RickMayerCycle.com Rick says "If I can't make you comfortable, I'll buy it back."

Both Rocky and Rick are often found at the same rallies--in different locations. Both offer to have you visit the shop and get a fitting. Both do good work. Both claim to make "Mayer" saddles. Rocky is bigger and bolder, Rick is smaller and quieter.

How am I doing?

pmdave

Is it possible to have either one of the Mayer sons make you a saddle without visiting their shop?

Which one is better/easier to deal with?

SpeedMK said:
Is it possible to have either one of the Mayer sons make you a saddle without visiting their shop?

Which one is better/easier to deal with?

I've only dealth with Rick. We followed his detailed instructions from Texas, sent our height and weight, and the required photos of me and my wife on the bike. He built our saddles on factory seat pans, and they were perfect from the beginning. We just finished a 2900 mile, 2 up ride, and had nothing but appreciation for the job Rick did. I do not believe it is necessary to go to California to get a quality custom seat made. Rick was very nice, answered all questions by telephone or e-mail. He does tend to run a little late on delivery, got my saddle about one month after the promised date, but it was worth the wait. Highly recommend Rick Mayer.

I am sold on Sargent. Mainly because of the excellent service they are providing. Have a Sargent repro of the original seat on my K1 and love the quality of the seat.
Have a basket-weave surface Sargent on my RT and rode this to the rally in Vermont two-up 630 miles in one day out there and 630 miles in one day home. neitehr my wife nor I had sore butts. Just aching legs and shoulders.

Sure, you can get a saddle from either Mayer mail order, but isn't the point of a custom saddle to get it fitted to your personal shape?

If you do order a saddle "mail order", take several photos of you (and passenger) sitting on the bike in the normal riding position, to provide some idea of butt shape, leg angle, etc. The whole idea is to provide a shape that supports your weight with minimum "hot spots" (pressure points). High pressure points squeeze the blood out of the flesh, causing the flesh to die. That's where the pain comes from.

I have a Bill Mayer (Rocky) leather saddle on my 1150GS. It was fitted by Rocky at a rally in CA, and then his guys applied the cover. It's comfortable for me, although the leather cover tends to form a ripple just ahead of the seating area--since leather doesn't stretch like vinyl. When you sit on it, the ripple flattens out, but when you're not on the bike it looks like something's wrong.

Rocky used a medium density core for my saddle. It's relatively stiff, but it's the shape that counts, not the softness of the foam. Much better than the stock 2003 1150GS saddle. BTW, I'm in the 200+ range wearing my gear.

The saddle on my R100 sidecar rig is an aftermarket foam core and vinyl cover installed by Mr. Ed's Upholstery in Oregon, over an epoxy/glass cloth base layed up by myself. The shape fits me fine, and allows lots of butt-shifting in corners.

I had a Russell saddle on an R100--the old Bill Mayer design with the leaf springs cantelivering out under the "cheek" sides. I didn't care for the shape, which provided good support but didn't allow any moving around or hanging off. Good for Kansas or Nebraska; not very good for West Virginia or Colorado.

pmdave

I agree that it probably would be best to be fitted in person for a custom saddle. But for those of us in the east who are only allowed xxx number of vacation days, that's kind of hard to do. I'm glad both Rick and Rocky were at the rally so we could make a more educated decision.

We are anxiously awaiting delivery of our new saddles from Rick and I'm sure they will be everything he has promised.

Another Mayer

pmdave said:

How am I doing?

pmdave

You're doing great, pmdave! What you left out is that these guys HATE each other. When I e-mailed Rick for some info., he replied, "I'll assume that you are not my evil brother." Apparently there was a struggle for control of dad's business after he died...
Rocky successfully sued to keep Rick from using the words "Bill Mayer" or "saddle". Thus, "Rick Mayer CYCLE". Personally, I have found Rick much easier to deal with, just on the level of cordial interaction. Apparently, they both make superior saddles, though.

Last edited:
My wife and I got back home yesterday from our trip to get a new seat on my 1200RT at Rick Mayers. We had a great trip down the Oregon coast through the Redwoods and spent some time having fun around Redding and Lake Shasta.
I forgot my paperwork at home and got my dates confused on when my appointment was. I called Courtney at Rick Mayers while we were going up the Gondola in the Redwoods to find out my appointment was for 12:00 the same day. About 30 minutes later after coming down we were on our way non-stop for about 220 miles to get there ASAP. The ride over from the Redwoods without a break was painful on my aged butt and my wife did not even want to look at that old seat again. After arriving an hour and 45 minutes late Rick and his crew took great care of us and about 2 hours later we were on our way with a comfortable, sharp looking seat.
I would not hesitate to mailorder a seat from Rick or ride in to see him if you can. Redding, CA is a beautiful place to visit with many scenic curvy roads to have fun riding on. Heck, make a vacation out of the trip and ride back home with a new comfortable seat. I will do my future business with Rick without hesitation.

Lownslo
Olalla, WA

Last edited:
Back