• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Larger tank for an R100R?

jbcollier

I run an R100R powered sidecar rig and find the stock tank a bit limiting. Are there any larger tanks available?

The R100GSPD tank will fit. It's 9.5 gallons.
You will have to change the mounts for the turn signals because they will hit the tank when the bars are turned.

Unfortunately the R100PD tank is one ugly tank; especially on a bike with an S fairing :) The R80G/SPD tank though also fits and looks more normal if a bit bloated. Not quite as large as the R100PD tank but almost two more imperial gallons over the R100R tank. It is still available new so I have ordered it and will see how fitting it goes.

Photos:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r100gs/paris_dakar_tank/index.html

Fiche:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0475&mospid=48864&btnr=16_0288&hg=16&fg=03

The R80 G/S PD tank fits like a glove on the R100R. No mods needed; it even clears my sidecar mounts and extra lights. Mind you I do have to fab mounts for a different seat...

BMW airhead R80 R100 G/S GS Heinrich jeckel fuel tank, Item number: 130021679341

On ebay

There is a large Heirich tank on e-bay right now.

Auction is for Heinrich / Jeckel fuel tank. The tank is an early vintage Paris - Dakar replica with aprox 43 Liter capacity. The tank is in excellent condition and no rust was inspected. It will go for BMW GS 82-97 models, but will fit other 2V BMW models. It will need few fitting adjustments to the original mount. Good luck!!!

PS: I am not the seller nor do I know the seller, just an fyi

Attachments

• cd_2.jpeg
    cd_2.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 73
i'm sorry
its late, did I really read $600 for the tank plus more for gas cap etc. and it has to be modified to work
I guess Im not at that point in my life
but then again, all it would take is one empty gas tank in the middle of bumb frick noplace, and the wolves howling, deliverence good ol boys, to make me say
oh baby , bigger gas tank, cool, hit the reserve and lets get the frick out of here
then again, it would be so cool to go way out to nooooo place, just me the wifey and the rattlesnakes, way out, way out,
so a few extra gallons would be cool
but in the olden days, when we needed we would strap on the little 2 gallon "lawnmower" metal gas tanks, you know, the little cans at the discount stores, and head out on our......dare I say.......cl 350 hondas (1972) into the florida everglades
by the way, still got one of them old hondas
not one of my originals, cause now im way out here in orygun
but this old cb350,( 1973), rode the crap out of it, dont know what I will do with it, as it is real dead, worn out and dead
those old hondas were bullet proof to a young pup
and if you trashed it , or sucked water into the carbs....
cheap and throw away
what color are you riding this week

Im old now, so is my airhead
were a couple of old farts, me an my airhead
bestest scooter Ive ver had between my legs
and of all the scooters of the years since, working on it, is like, olden days
easy, no computers needed
just twist wrenches,

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can motify some of the other BMW tanks to fit your bike. You need to make sure that the center part fits your bike, as there were changes made through out the years. You may also need to make changes to the seat mount. You could also go with an auxillary fuel tank. The PD tank is different looking and a new one is about one grand.... Heinrich tanks still bring a premium also... This change is not cheap. It would be cheaper to mount an extra gas can on the side car, ala World War II looks...

My food for thought... :eat :drink

r 100 r tank

jb:

Sometime in the mid - 80's BMW reduced the size of the airhead tank by about 1 U.S. gallon to accomodate extra bits and pieces under the tank. So if you get a bigger tank designed for an earlier airhead, you may have to remove or relocate them to get it to fit.

Rinty

Good point. That is the nice thing about the R80G/S PD tank, it has the space on the right side for the later airhead's electrics.

Back