• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Peter Nettesheim & Vintage Machines

Chasin' the Wind
I want to personally thank Peter Nettesheim for bringing thirty of his vintage BMW motorcycles to our rally. His presentation and engaging demonstration of these machines allows all of us to clearly view the history of what we ride today.

My personal thanks to Peter for keeping alive the history of BMW motorcycles and sharing it with us.

Dave

I second that. His collection was MY highpoint of the rally.
I love those old BMW's.

His love of the old machines really shows through. I spent some time as an official hanger-arounder in the exhibit, and it seemed like every 10 or 20 minutes there would be a small crowd around one of the bikes. Peter would be in the middle, explaining this and that about the bike, its history or its application or some interesting aspects of its construction. Then he'd fire it up -- nearly always the bikes started on the first or second kick -- he'd get it to settle down to an idle, and then rev it up a bit. Everyone seemed to love the sound! You could really tell he knew all about the bikes and is a real enthusiast for them.

Here's a picture of Peter from the Vermont Rally. His informal gatherings are always interesting and informative. Thanks Peter!

Michael Cohen

Attachments

• peter_nettesheim.jpg
    peter_nettesheim.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 180
I will third that! His collection is utterly breathtaking and it was incredibly generous to show those wonderful old BMWs. Here he is firing up his R32(!) for an appreciative audience:

Attachments

• r32-&-peter-n.jpg
    r32-&-peter-n.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 178
And I will fourth that! Peter is also the president of my local club, the LIBMWRC.
(click the link, above, to read a very humorous road report about taking his 1925 BMW R32 for a daring trip...)
83882300-S.jpg

Last edited:
Let me sixth.

My first National, and I wanted a place to volunteer Tuesday and Wednesday before the rally while my son was in Camp Gears. I was lucky enough to be assigned to help set up Peter's exhibit. Those two days were the high point of my rally experience. We worked pretty hard sometimes, but Peter was constantly telling us stories, firing up one bike after another (hearing the sounds of the engines is AMAZING, especially when Peter rode outdoors buzzing by the building), quizzing us with questions like "Can anyone tell me where the air intake is hidden on this machine?" Then telling us the five or so reasons the air intake is hidden in that particular position. And on and on and on . . . . There seems no end to the knowledge, stories and enthusiasm.

I can tell you one reason Peter's machines are so beautiful -- the guy is picky! Or maybe meticulous would be a better word. He went to great lengths to make things as perfect as they could be, right down to sending out for mulch to spread around the entrance sign outside the building! At his own expense I feel sure.

Later, I asked my son about Camp Gears and he told me about the "BMW Museum Guy" that came and talked to the camp class about the history and traditions of the marque! I hadn't even missed him, but that was the ever-present Peter giving an impromptu lecture to the students.

Thanks a lot, Peter. I'll never forget my first National learning about the Mastery of Speed.

--P.S. Anybody got more pics of this? Please post them. Joe Bowen

Last edited:
jmbtaz01 said:
Later, I asked my son about Camp Gears and he told me about the "BMW Museum Guy" that came and talked to the camp class about the history and traditions of the marque! I hadn't even missed him, but that was the ever-present Peter giving an impromptu lecture to the students.

Thanks a lot, Peter. I'll never forget my first National learning about the Mastery of Speed.

--P.S. Anybody got more pics of this? Please post them.

What a wonderful unexpected treat that was - to hear Peter talking to the young riders at Camp Gears.

Huge thanks, Peter

Priceless!

Voni, training wheel at Camp GEARS
sMiling

Thanks also to Peter's assistant, Jimmy, and to Jimmy's wife.

Peter had an assistant with him at the rally. Whenever Peter needed something he would yell "JIMMY" and whatever he needed would be provided. It may be true that behind every great museum exhibit there is a guiding force and a great assistant. Jimmy and his wife worked throughout the set-up and also helped watch the bikes during the rally - very dedicated and valuable. Thanks to both of them too.

jmbtaz01 said:
Peter had an assistant with him at the rally. Whenever Peter needed something he would yell "JIMMY" and whatever he needed would be provided. It may be true that behind every great museum exhibit there is a guiding force and a great assistant. Jimmy and his wife worked throughout the set-up and also helped watch the bikes during the rally - very dedicated and valuable. Thanks to both of them too.

yep, jimmy was there the whole way through :thumb

i spent all day tuesday from 8am on and most of the day wednesday helping Peter and Jim set up all the displays along with a small group of volunteers. the walls, the carpet, the tables the bikes. all of it had to be lifted out of semi turcks, un-crated, assembled, laid out and re-adjusted countless times to make everything perfect. it was a very rewarding experience as i also got to learn a ton about the vintage and espicially pre-war bikes (there was a HUGE hole in my BMW knowledge from 1923-1969, haha). In the end i just took a bunch of pictures before the crowds arrived thursday, we'd managed to create a museum inside a livestock exhibition hall in under 48 hours.

tessler said:
And I will fourth that! Peter is also the president of my local club, the LIBMWRA.
(click the link, above, to read a very humorous road report about taking his 1925 BMW R32 for a daring trip...)
83882300-S.jpg
I'd love to read the article, but I think you have to be a member of the Long Isl. Club to access it. Any free sources of his trip report? Thanks-
Bill

Bill Burke said:
I'd love to read the article, but I think you have to be a member of the Long Isl. Club to access it. Any free sources of his trip report? Thanks-Bill
Oops, my bad. I will inquire and find out if it's ok to re-publish here. Sorry about that.

Coming Soon

jmbtaz01 said:
--P.S. Anybody got more pics of this? Please post them. Joe Bowen

Amazing display and demos by Peter, the highlight of the rally for me! The history and heritage of BMW cycles has a true hero and ambassador in Peter Nettesheim. It was an honor and privelege to have met and talked to him. I am so glad that I went in on Saturday morning for a quick look before viviting a friend in the area. Ended up staying for over two hours and at least six different bikes, a real history lesson and technical seminar rolled together. I could have stayed all day, or at least until Peter got tired and left.

As soon as I can get pics transferred off the new digi cam, I will get them up.

Back