• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Scooters?

P

pcsof8

Does anybody out there know of any plans of BMW producing a scooter, ie. "Honda Reflex" type scooter, in the near future? With fuel so expensive the scooter craze is on and I think BMW could produce a wonderful metro type scooter. Just wondering?

Here is a link to a brief album of BMW scooters that I shot in Seoul in 2003. They offered the C-1, the Dink (400cc) and the Grand Dink.

Here's a picture of one I found in Taipei last year.

36630645-M.jpg

BMW really needs to think about importing some of those scooters to the USA. They would sell like hot cakes!

pcsof8 said:
BMW really needs to think about importing some of those scooters to the USA. They would sell like hot cakes!

Actually, BMW doesn't make them anymore because they didn't sell like hotcakes. They didn't even sell like coldcakes, anywhere.

That was then, this is now. I have a feeling if they made a scooter without all that canopy "stuff" it would do good here. Have you noticed all the scooters on the roads here now?

Motorman said:
Why should they? Who would want to spend $10k for a German made Vespa?

LOL, now you hit pay dirt with that one! Ya got a point there.

pcsof8 said:
Does anybody out there know of any plans of BMW producing a scooter. . . I think BMW could produce a wonderful metro type scooter.
PAULBACH said:
Such a ride was available in Europe for awhile but is no longer produced.
flash412 said:
They offered the C-1, the Dink (400cc) and the Grand Dink.
pcsof8 said:
I have a feeling if they made a scooter without all that canopy "stuff" it would do good here.
`
Local yokel, former Hawg pilot who never letÔÇÖs us forget it, was in Europe a while back and took photos of the BMW scooters in Rome one night. Said they were neat machines and heÔÇÖd sure like to try one. Told us he was wearing an old Harley jacket that night. The Italian scooter drivers took a look and gave him a pass. ` ` ` ` ` ` ` He. .was. .steamed!

Day later, buddy came across a couple of Italian police bikes sitting in a square in Naples with not a cop in sight. Said he was tempted to sit on one until he realized someone might see him actually sitting on a BMW - even over in Europe. Something about his ÔÇÿlong-standing reputationÔÇÖ as a HD driver. (Geez!!) ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` Neat little machine for running down to the mall, though.~

Attachments

• ITscooter.jpg
    ITscooter.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 120
dlearl476 said:
Actually, BMW doesn't make them anymore because they didn't sell like hotcakes. They didn't even sell like coldcakes, anywhere.
BMW even tried with the 200cc C-2, but that failed, too.

Like an Edsel, it'd be cool to have one. Last year, I found one in Florida on eBay, and there is one in the museum at Bob's BMW, so there are at least two that made it into North America.

Fred

Possibly three- I saw one at Lima last year, but I have no idea if it was one of the ones Fred mantioned.

My wife has a Honda Reflex 200cc, and really loves the thing. The Reflex gets 70 mpg and she rides it to work daily 22 miles one way. She keeps looking for BMW to make a really good scooter.

scooters

Ok, I am jumping in...
what determines a really good scooter? Why do you think Americans will buy a "really good German scooter" at a price we know will be higher than the Japanese scooters?

btw, my wife wants the 49cc Honda scooter. Why? Because it is cheap and perfect for her daily migrations to the book stores, knitting shops, and eateries to meet her friends. Her current ride is a fuel efficient MINI (not the s), that uses premium fuel at about $3.45/gal in the Milwaukee area.

She doesn't plan on riding that thing in traffic does she????? If she does, do you care about her riding it?

I second that Motorman, did you say 49cc? Dear God man.
My wife would buy a BMW over a Honda because of brand loyalty.

brand loyalty

I was not commenting on brand loyalty, nor quality of scooters.
My point was that the average American looking for alternative transportation is price point driven.

The Japanese have established cheap, reliable, quality, transportation with their cars. Their scooters have followed suit.

Yes, the BMW cars and motorcycles are a cut above the rest. We pay for that, too.

Btw, I thank that Diamo is a clever idea, and I have a feeling that we will be seeing many variations of that theme in the next couple of years.

Back