• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Glasses / Contacts

dbrick

rabid reader
I am musing about moving from glasses to contacts. My wife has worn contacts for years, so I understand how theyÔÇÖre used and cared for. What IÔÇÖm interested in is hearing about othersÔÇÖ visual experience.

I wear progressives with a mild distance correction and a moderate (~2.25) correction for reading. For me, progressives are very satisfactory for all purposes except riding: the change in focal length as my eyes momentarily drop below the horizon (as, for example, when selecting a line around a corner) is disorienting. When I ride, I wear bifocals with a very small segment, which allows me to read the instruments and gives me the distance correction for everything beyond the bike. This works just fine.

The idea of one set of contacts that would handle both distance and close vision for both riding and non-riding is appealing. Mary wears monovision contacts, and I understand there are bifocal contacts as well. But I wonder about the focus issue mentioned above. Contact lens literature suggests that more head movement may be necessary to focus than with glasses, and, at least as importantly, that some depth perception may be lost.

These sound like they might be disqualifying for motorcycling. If youÔÇÖve made this change and liked it, or declined to make it, or returned to glasses, IÔÇÖd like to hear about your experience. Thanks!

dbrick - i moved this over to gear so hopefully more people will see it. (get it? yuk yuk yuk!)

and to answer your question: glasses were a non-starter for me. i wanted full peripheral vision on the bike so i used to wear conacts for riding. i got tired of putting them in and out, and a multi-day trip with several 16 hour riding days strung together would've stunk. so i had LASIK surgery, and the rest is history. i highly recommend it.

your eyes might be older than mine, so perhaps you wouldnt be able to read the instruments with just LASIK?

username said:
your eyes might be older than mine, so perhaps you wouldnt be able to read the instruments with just LASIK?

depending on the patient, LASIK can be done to provide an eye for close work (dominent eye) and an eye for distance vision. expect "headaches" for a week or so why your brain figures it out.

Or not.

I've used the monovision contacts for years and find them to give me better vision than glasses alone. The only getting used to time was that I needed gas permeable rather than soft contacts so that took some increasing time for my eyes to get used to contacts. The new ones I got breathe so much better than the earlier versions. I really don't notice them.

A miracle to touch my eyes in the morning and then see all day.

Voni
sMiling

I tried contacts and later RK for correction to eliminate the need for glasses. I had good results from the RK and I understand the new lasik is far better.

One of the things I did learn is that to ride I still needed glasses. The contacts dried out and caused irritation and I still needed dark glasses. Even after RK I had issues with dryness and wanted dark glasses. At night I had increased sensitivity and wanted protection for the eyeball from dust and bugs.

In short I still ended up using glasses just as much for riding and out door activities. Later when my eyes changed and I needed correction again I just stayed with the glasses. I use the ones that go dark outside instead of having 2 pair to deal with and have been happy with them.

I used to wear thick bifocal glassses prior to having lasik. I'm 50+, well closer to 60. The only time I have to use reading glasses now is to read fine print in dim light. I'd at least check into the lasik. I wish it had been around thirty years ago. I'd have saved a ton on glasses and contacts over the years.

I wear contacts when I ride, and haven't really had a problem with them. I'd totally opt for having Lasik someday though, once my eyes stop getting progressively worse.

I think it would be a good idea to keep a spare pair of glasses, a contact lens case and perhaps some saline solution in your tank bag while you're sorting out the details. That way, if they're bothering you or if you want to ease into just wearing contacts, you have the option of pulling over and taking them out.

Also, rewetting drops would be a good thing to have if your eyes get dry.

I wish you happy sMiles!
:wave

username said:
...glasses were a non-starter for me. i wanted full peripheral vision on the bike so i used to wear conacts for riding. i got tired of putting them in and out, and a multi-day trip with several 16 hour riding days strung together would've stunk. so i had LASIK surgery, and the rest is history. i highly recommend it...

This exactly sums up my history, thoughts and situation. My gas-permeable hard contacts allowed me crisp peripheral vision, but I am 54 and after 38 years of contacts, I grew weary of the maintenance. Getting a foreign object and especially dust in my eyes became a major PITA. So, after years of reading about surgery and the advance of the safety and equipment, I had it done in May.

My opinion? It is absolutely amazing. 20/200 to 20/15. One eye was left slightly less corrected to reduce the need for reading glasses, but I need reading glasses just as I did with contacts.

One thing that I was not told clearly in advance: the surgery cuts through a nerve in the cornea that sends signals to the tear duct to produce tears, and I have to use drops a few times a day for months to compensate, until the nerve reconnects.

I don't understand why anyone would want to wear glasses in a helmet. They fog up, peripheral vison sucks, and I sure wouldn't want them inside my helmet in an accident.

I am experimenting with a small sliver of an Optx lens stuck on the bottom left-of-center of my faceshield for glancing at maps and GPS.

Fred

vision correction: very interesting thread

I wear tri-focals. The top bar is for distance (movies, riding, etc)
The mid bar has a focal length of 20 to 36 inches (computer work, shooting, hands on stuff).
The lower bar is good for 12-15 (reading and close work).

I went to tri focals because I needed that mid-range capability.

I have had in the past, the top of the midrange set at 4mm above pupil center, and that has worked out well. CAUTION: Be careful when start tinkering with that stuff, because it may interfere with your distance site line.

I am not a candidate for lasik. I had to stop wearing contacts many years ago because my eyes would no longer tolerate them --started with hard, then soft, then gas perms, then that was it.

my 0.02

I have contacts and glasses and prefer riding with contacts over glasses. Better peripheral vision. However I do travel with a spare set of contacts and keep lubricating drops in the tank bag.

I am too chicken to do Lasik... so contacts do real well for me. Also in case of a get off I figure that there is one less thing floating around inside the helmet causing injury.

I wear tri-focals. Top for distance, middle for ranges 24 to 48 inches or so, bottom 12 - 15 inches for reading. Mine are the kind with the lines. The lines enable me to set my head to keep the right segment in position for the task at hand.

I find no loss of peripheral vision with glasses. I haven't had a problem with fogging of the lenses the way the face shield fogs. I also have astigmatism, which complicates the rest.

I have been down before and my glasses stayed in place, but the helmet did not survive. I have been clobbered in soccer and not had my glasses come off.

Lasik surgery seems quite appealing, though, for those of us who tire of glasses after 40 or more years.

So far as the contacts are concerned, why not take them on a test drive? I tried them for 10 days many years ago to see if I liked them. I did not, but there was no cost.

chfite said:
I find no loss of peripheral vision with glasses.
I don't understand. How do your lenses wrap around the periphery of your vison? I've never seen such a thing with glasses.

Fred

No glasses

I started wearing glasses in the 7th grade (many years ago) and hated them. When soft contacts came out, I asked the eye doctor if I could try them. I was so impressed that I took an extra job after school to pay for them. After high school, college, and a few years of marriage, my eyes weren't able to tolerate the lenses all day. Back to glasses.

Three years ago, my doctor started a new program called Cornial Refractive Therapy, or CRT for short. When I go to bed at night, I put a gas permial lense in each eye and go to sleep. While asleep, the lense reshapes my eye and when I wake up, out it comes. I have close to 20/20 all day with no correction. It has even corrected the astigmatism in my right eye.

I really like it, and it's far cheaper than Lasik and a lot less risky.

EastTNBeemer said:
I started wearing glasses in the 7th grade (many years ago) and hated them. When soft contacts came out, I asked the eye doctor if I could try them. I was so impressed that I took an extra job after school to pay for them. After high school, college, and a few years of marriage, my eyes weren't able to tolerate the lenses all day. Back to glasses.

Three years ago, my doctor started a new program called Cornial Refractive Therapy, or CRT for short. When I go to bed at night, I put a gas permial lense in each eye and go to sleep. While asleep, the lense reshapes my eye and when I wake up, out it comes. I have close to 20/20 all day with no correction. It has even corrected the astigmatism in my right eye.

I really like it, and it's far cheaper than Lasik and a lot less risky.

pretty interesting. are you near or far sighted? what was your original vision 20/?

About 6 years ago, I started wearing bi-focals because my arms were not getting any longer and reading the newspaper and such was getting to be a pain. Recently, at the recommendation of my optician and optometrist, I moved to progressive lenses. The problem I have with the progressives is the angle they sit at under my helmet does not allow me to see distances properly. So, I have a pair of single vision glasses that I wear when riding. Thankfully, the dials and such on my bike are large enough to see without causing any problems. When I get off the bike, I take my single vision glasses off and put on my progressives. For sun protection I have a $20.00 pair of polarized clip-ons. This way, I have one pair of glasses that I can use on the bike regardless of the time of day.

I also have single vision contacts that I occasionally wear. I got the initially for walking the dog on the -25C days (nothing worse than not seeing where the dog wants to drag you). I wear them on the bike sometimes. I like the fact that I can have cheap, wrap around style sunglasses under my helmet. No problems when the visor is open because the wrap keeps the wind away from my eyes.

I have chosen to not consider Lasik surgery due to the issues surrounding the loss of night vision that have been documented. I am currently the only driver in the house and I don't want to end up stranded some place because I cannot safely see where I am going. And come winter, we will only have 8-9 hours of daylight up here.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.

bubbagazoo - look into waveguide lasik. that's what i had done. my #1 concern was spherical abberrations causing night vision issues. i learned something VERY interesting, and that was that i had artifacts in my night vision with contacts and with glasses! imagine my surprise! i had both starbursts and halos PRIOR to the surgery.

i had the surgery, and the artifacts have lessened considerably. my night vision rocks now, and it's one of the things that makes me happy that i had it done. it's a little different for everyone, but the waveguide has such a small ablation area that they can really clean up a lot of the defects you might currently have.

wuli959 said:
pretty interesting. are you near or far sighted? what was your original vision 20/?

I am nearsighted. My right eye was terrible- somewhere around 20/150. The left was better, but not by much. I'm very happy with the results.

Glasses work well

I am not a candidate for corrective surgery. Disposable contacts with different prescriptions for each eye worked well for me. However, since I'd usually only wear a pair once or twice (didn't feel the need for them unless I had a photo shoot), I bought the non-throwable ones this time around. They work well in the daytime but once the light gets dim, my vision is equivalent to being impaired. Consequently with the current set of contacts, I do not wear them while riding. Riding with glasses is no problem, especially since I have added an eye glass holder to the handle of the left case to facilitate a place to set the glasses when putting on or removing the FFH. A bungee net while touring is even an easier location to snag the glasses onto while changing the helmet. I envy those with the corrective surgery or those who successfully wear contacts.

FredRydr said:
I don't understand. How do your lenses wrap around the periphery of your vison? I've never seen such a thing with glasses.

Fred

I've worn glasses for almost thirty years, and I've just figured this one out. Are you familiar with the "wrap-around" style of sunglasses? Well, some of them can take a prescription lens, as long as the prescription isn't too severe. I need two diopters of correction for nearsightedness; I had tried contacts, but my eyes always felt tired, hot, and dusty when I used them to ride. Then I got the wrap "sunglasses" -- one pair with clear lenses, and one pair to really be sunglasses. Now I've got correction in my peripheral vision! It's a wonderful thing. :dance

I don't understand the comment about limited peripheral vision. I see the same peripherally with or without glasses. Our eyes can focus only in the center of the visual field. This is why we look where we want to see clearly, and why the center of focus of corrective lenses is in the center of the visual field. We can see clearly only to about thirty degrees either side of center without turning our heads.

It is the sides of my helmet that block some of the visual field, limiting my peripheral vision. To compensate for this, I turn my head.

Back