Thread: top case for r1150rs?

2003r1150rs

top case for r1150rs?

I'm looking for a top case for my 03 r1150rs, but was hoping to avoid the expense of the bmw version. I've looked at givi cases, but they don't make a mount specific to my bike model. Anyone out there have any experience/advice? I saw a givi case on a bike like mine where the mount had been 'tweaked', but didn't get a look at how. Also, the RT mount appears very similiar (the givi system removes most of the luggage rack that originally came on the bike and the starting point looks almost identical).

mayojuaf

Top case for R1150RS 2002/2003

Had same problem today. Mine is a 2002 R1150RS
    I looked at the GIVI E450N . the universal adapter was close to the bike rack but not enough. The top 2 screws were 2 cm apart from a perfect match same with the bottom ones. Man, it was close yet so far away....
    Tried using the E183 adapter but will not work with the top case

I was tempted of going for the standard BMW but I am not even sure if I would also have to get the special rack and that takes the total cost close to $500. Too much for me

tudo beleza
    Get the RT luggage rack (black plastic) with the kickup at the back, it fits in place of the RS grid on the same bracket you already have. Once you have that in place you can put whatever fits the RT on your RS, either aftermarket or the bmw top case.

2003r1150rs

Smile top case

Thanks for the response guys. I'll hunt down that RT rack.

Joe

mayojuaf

top case

You mean get the GIVI rack for the R1150RT (02-04) which is the Givi E191? or get the BMW original R1150RT Rack and replace it with what I have today?[

If it is the BMW rack just get it from the dealer right?

Givi Mount for RS

I just traded my 02 RS for a 06 RT.
    The Givi mount will not work with BMW boxes.
    I had the Givi mount and Give Top Box.
    Mount is #183 which requires just two support tubes to cut shorter.
    I have sold the box but still have mounting plate.If interested drop me a line.
    John

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003r1150rs
    I'm looking for a top case for my 03 r1150rs, but was hoping to avoid the expense of the bmw version. I've looked at givi cases, but they don't make a mount specific to my bike model. Anyone out there have any experience/advice? I saw a givi case on a bike like mine where the mount had been 'tweaked', but didn't get a look at how. Also, the RT mount appears very similiar (the givi system removes most of the luggage rack that originally came on the bike and the starting point looks almost identical).
    I'll get a picture of my RS with the E52 top case on it..

The R1150RS takes the same mount as the RT.

I called GIVI about a month ago, and they said "Nope, can't do it, don't make a mount."

Went and saw them at the Rally, and had a case on my bike within an hour, color matched even.

mayojuaf

top case RS

Bob:
    A photo will be great. May be I can copy de solution
    Well, may be two pictures and instructions? I am mechanically handicaped.
    Here is a picture of my luggage rack
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by mayojuaf
    Bob:
    A photo will be great. May be I can copy de solution
    Well, may be two pictures and instructions? I am mechanically handicaped.
    Here is a picture of my luggage rack
    Yep, that's PERFECT.. the same one with the right tubes on the back. GIVI had a top case on my bike in less then a 1/2 hour. And their silver topcase is abouta perfect match as you can get to the Silver RS..

The plate on the luggage rack comes off, two 2 in (app) extension tubes go on top of the back elbows, then the GIVI Rack bolts right on. I'll get the pictures tonight after I get home and post them for you.

If you chose not to go with the case, I have a Back-up backrest that would be a perfect fit too, and would be willing to sell fairly cheap.

Rally Rat
    I lied, I went home for lunch..

To show the color match.. and this is a BIG 52L case.

The mount from the side.
    AND is shows the big reflector looking thing isn't a reflector at all!!

Up close and personal look at the mount.. Givi told me it is the RT mount, and it's a perfect fit.

The top of the Givi rack, showing how it mounts to the BMW luggage rack.

tudo beleza
    Sorry for the misinfo, I thought the GIVI rack was and intermediate piece fitted on top of the RT plastic rack, not a complete replacement for the plastic grid.

Anyway, to fit the BMW top box you only need to change the RS grid to the RT one, the base bracket is the same

mayojuaf

Top case and back rest

Bob: (was lunch good?)
    I would be interested in the back rest, can you post picture and let me know how much? may be I should just go with back rest and a soft bag

mayojuaf

Top case

I was today at the dealer and got the part number for the conversion of the RS rack to the one with the kick up back
    It is called a "Luggage carrier". Part # 46 54 2 313 951 and is part of the 46_0730 Retrofit Kit, top case braket.

(I have a copy of the picture that confirms is the kick up gizmo) it costs $77 .

I was looking for it under the RT model but on every catalog I looked for I got the same part number with picture similar to the one I have in my RS (no kick up portion)

tudo beleza
    For the 1100 that didn't have a rack as standard BMW sells the whole kit, including the bracket and the kickup style rack for $135.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1688