• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EAA (Oshkosh)

nhlkats

Hey i thought you ladies and gents might appreciate some of these shots i took yesterday.

IMG_2364.jpg

WWII harley

IMG_2361.jpg

nazi bmw 1943 r75

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

F-22 raptor starting an incredible verticle ascent

IMG_2683.jpg

C-17. 2nd or 3rd largest cargo plane in the world to Russia.

IMG_2316.jpg

our f-16 boys from truax here in madison a few blocks from mi casa.

EAA = Experimental Aircraft Association

Each year they throw one of the largest airshow events in the US. It lasts a week and absolutely PACKS the countryside with aircraft, campers tents vehicles and so on. It's almost like a trip to mecca for a plane buff.

Lots of aircraft flights, demos, vendors, you name it, if it's related to airplanes, it's there.

I've heard of this event

been to it 20 some times...

btw
don't get me started on the re-enactors at it, farb city
majors dion't ride motorcycles, and don't jump
modern sun glasses, afrika corp my ass

I'm VERY offended

hey!.... Bradfordben.....

Next year the EAA convention is about 10 days after the BMW MOA Rally.
If your schedule allows it, try to see the EAA event in Oshkosh, WI , a very short ride from the West Bend Fair grounds.. It will knock your socks off.

On the other hand, and if you have time during the BMW Rally, go to the EAA museum in Oshkosh, if you cannot do the EAA Convention.

I have spent many hours there, and it is really interesting. My father is a former museum doscent (and ex WWII flight test engineer), and one always meets a pilot from the "old" days. "old" days means you had 4 instruments in the cockpit and perhaps 3 of them worked at any given moment.

Across the airfield from the museum is a recreation of a 1935 airport, offices. The 30's were the golden years of American aviation. Ever walk into a time warp? It is accurate down to the maps, signage, furniture, clocks, really awesome.

Great images. Geez, that F-22 going into vertical ascent is really quite an impressive shot artistically, particularly with the silhouette of the pilot through the cockpit canopy and the smoke trailing over the leading edge of the wing.

Next years MOA rally should be the same week...

then we could have some real fun....chasing those planes across Wisconson...

oshkosh

nhl:

You lucky dog: get to race Subaru's and live close to Wittman Field.

Stupendous shot of the F-22 with the vapour break. What did you use to get that?

Rinty

Critical

marK11LT said:
I've heard of this event

been to it 20 some times...

btw
don't get me started on the re-enactors at it, farb city
majors dion't ride motorcycles, and don't jump
modern sun glasses, afrika corp my ass

I'm VERY offended

I Have heard of it??? been there 20 some times????

Stop being so critical and appricate the fact the member shared this with us and consider it is an air show and the photography is great.

:dance

GeneT said:
I Have heard of it??? been there 20 some times????

Stop being so critical and appricate the fact the member shared this with us and consider it is an air show and the photography is great.

:dance

I grew up next to an eaa member, we went every year growing up, that was back in the day to get on the flightline you had to be a memeber. I live 30 minutes from there now. Yes I would say 20 times.

I'm sorry but as my other is WWII re-enacting and it upsets me when I see individual doing it wrong. The EAA guys bill themselves as a super authentic event (meaning no modern daystuff) others see it differently. Seeing the first two pictures, one of a major in jump clothes about to ride a harley and the other of an africa korp impression with so many mistakes (modern sunglasses, socks, shoes, wristwatch, rubber bracelet, moustache, insignia in the wrong place...) I was critical of it, yes.

similiar to posting a photo of an all matching 1967 /2 with a modern ural sidecar and called it all matching factory assembled 0 miles NOS.

Motorman said:
At least he had the correct oil spot on the pavement under the harley. :stick
lol!

rinty --> thank you for the compliment. thats a canon 20D with the 300 telephoto lense on it. and you are right, i am very lucky, my sister gave me that camera on my birthday! :heart

Gene --> its alright... I think we can all understand where Mark is coming from on this one. dare i compare it to a Persig 'Quality' judgement? Why would a cruise ship have smoke stacks if its not a steamboat? Anybody? am I riding in the dark with my lights off here?

no i am not. i get equally upset as Mark has here when I see so-called "subaru enthusiasts" rice out their car with cosmetic lights and wings or whats worse, just engine mods with no suspension or brake upgrades. this is not quality, this is just misguided youth. argg....maybe i am too critical? maybe i expect no less from my self? maybe its time for me to go to bed...

a friend in the industry just informed about this:

OSHKOSH, Wisconsin -- The propeller of a navy warbird sliced into a homebuilt airplane on the taxiway at Wittman Regional Airport during the final day of the Experimental Aircraft Association's AirVenture convention yesterday, killing a passenger in the Canadian-registered craft, officials said.

A Green Bay TV station, WBAY, reported both aboard the plane were Canadians.

The victim in the homebuilt Van's RV was pronounced dead at the scene, but the pilot walked away without injuries, EAA president Tom Poberezny said. Neither of the two people in the Second World War-era Grumman TBM Avenger were injured.

"The planes were getting ready for departure when the Avenger struck the back of the RV," added EAA spokesman Dick Knapinski.

sad way to go.

You are far far better off getting there early, a couple days before the show starts and leaving a day or so after it ends. There is just way too much traffic to deal with otherwise. All kinds of mixing of performance and aircraft and there is only one field and one sky.

Back