• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW Book: The Evolution of Excellence

mika

Still Wondering
The Evolution of Excellence

From the English - World of BMW - site
English-born Kevin Ash has written a new book that covers the history of BMW Motorrad from its inception in 1917 to the present. BMW Motorcycles: The Evolution of Excellence has 178 pages dedicated to the fascinating story of one of the world's most admired and enduring motorcycle companies.

Follow the link for their complete blurr on about the book.

That is to say it was complete blur, hence a blurr, when I read the blurb and posted before my second cup of coffee. :wave

flash412 said:
They misspelt The Devolution of Excellence.
If things evolve to meet the increasing demands of the environment they live in, what does DEVOLUTION, as you put it, say about the riding demands of the environment BMW perceives itself to be in?

Well since you put it like that.....
Perception is reality to the one making the perception. It may also be the case that the perception of BMW is to reject reality and substitute their own with the claim "technology uber alles".

:stick :nyah

Motorman,
Still wondering what their perception of us is. I know what our perception of "Technology Uber Alles" tends to be.

BMWDean,
Do you think the 37% discount is marketing or and editorial comment?

Thanks for the amazon link. I don't post links like that so that I don't fall in the advertising ban. I like it when people post these as part of a response.

M1ka said:
what does DEVOLUTION, as you put it, say about the riding demands of the environment BMW perceives itself to be in?
BMW perceives themselves to be in the Hardly Davidson "riding demand" environment, where people buy motorcycles to OWN, not to actually ride. Unfortunately for BMW riders, many (most?) BMW riders tend to RIDE, not just own, their motorcycles. Hence, the LOSS that comes with more recent changes to BMW's products.

Get it?

That's my perception anyway.

And anyone who has had their super-uber-hyper-technical BMW ultra-advanced-computer-controlled braking system not do ANYTHING for the first half second after they squeezed the lever will probably agree.

Technology for its own sake, paid for with the loss of owner (or even trained, third-party mechanic) maintainability is a LOSS for those who actually ride and need service. Closing dealerships leads to month-long delays for access to roundel-wearing, factory-trained, dealer mechanics during the riding season. Is this considered a PLUS if you happen to be on tour and need service & maintenance?

Sure, nobody who owns a "garage queen" cares. They can truck the bike to the dealer in January for it's annual $400 oil change and bi-annual Botched Moronic computer-controlled brake fluid change. And then truck it home until next year.

The BMW riders who put more miles on their bike in a weekend than most Harley riders do in a whole riding season may have a different opinion. Then again, maybe not. I know I am not a "conventional thinker." (I never did understand pet rocks or happy face t-shirts either.)

Well put, but the question I am asking is not about how BMW perceives itself. The question is how they perceive us?
Get it?
By extention and implication I don't think they uderstand me.
The fixer in me wants to bring a better resolution of the two.
As my granddaughter often says, Silly Mika

flash412 said:
They misspelt The Devolution of Excellence.

I just think he should have done two volumes: VOL I "The Evolution of Excellence: BMW 1917-1995 and VOL II "The Illusion of Excellence:BMW 1995-2006, the final drive era" :german :bikes

M1ka said:
Well put, but the question I am asking is not about how BMW perceives itself. The question is how they perceive us?
Clearly BMW perceives us as Harley owners. After all, the whining eagle is THE biggest seller in the USA and the USA is THE biggest market in the world (for now, but not for long). BMW wants a hunk of that pie.

Remember Oldsmobile? Remember how they sold the same cars to the same old guys? Then they had an ad campaign, "It's not your father's Oldsmobile." This campaign alienated their existing customer base yet did not attract new customers. They are now defunct.

BMW is devolving their way down the Oldsmobile path in pursuit of Harley Davidson's market.

Last edited:
Back