• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Volunteers for 2007 Rally

Koenemans are in

I think Sue must be nuts doing another rally so soon, so the least we can do is offer to help the handicapped :) . Justt kidding of course. Between the three of us, we have volunteered at registration, tallies, beer tent, 50/50, and maybe something else.

Anyway, the Koenemans are willing to help.

I haven't decided whether or not I can make next year. But if I do....it will be by way of Thunder Bay and I will be more than happy to volunteer again. Did registration from 8 to noon on Thursday in VT. Busy as hell. Man. Again...didn't get any grief from rally goers. Most said thanks for what we were doing. They were also quite glad to make it into the tent.

Brian

In for '07

I'll be glad to work the beer tent again, I had a blast! Also happy to work some other department as well.

ERC coordinator resigns.

Rick Ahlstrom, who arranged for and coordinated the MSF Exerienced Rider Courses this year and last at the BMW MOA international rallies has resigned his volunteer position.

Any MSF-certified instructors with ERC teaching experienced who might be interested in taking over this important volunteer responsibility could contact BMW MOA Executive Director Ray Zimmerman (rayz@bmwmoa.org) regarding how to proceed.

Here are the tasks as I wrote them up two years ago:

BMW MOA Foundation ERC CoordinatorÔÇÖs Tasks
(In 35 ÔÇ£easyÔÇØ steps!)

1. Call and talk to the state motorcycle program administrator for the state in which the ERC courses are to be held. Reactions will vary. Some will not care what you do and wish you well. Some will want to count your ERC students in their end-of-year data. Some will even offer to help you out. Some will want to be directly involved in some capacity. Some may even want their stateÔÇÖs instructors to teach the courses. Find out what that administrator wants and try to work with him/her.

2 Determine ERC schedule for the rally (in recent years, 6 or 8 courses).

3. Determine course fee.

4. Secure assistance to register students, or be prepared to register them. Turn all registration fees over the the BMW MOA Foundation treasurer.

5. Prepare article and registration form for the May issue of BMW Owners News and submit to the editor no later than March 15th.

6. In coordination with the BMW MOA rally chair, assure that a suitable location for a range is available. This may include a rental fee.

7. Secure MSF approval of the range. If it is an existing range, there is no problem. If it is to be a range used only for these courses, this will require a range diagram and special submission to MSF. In any case, MSF must be advised and approval secured.

8. The coordinator is a 100% volunteer and receives no pay for his/her work and instruction.

9. Identify instructors to teach all the ERC courses.

10. Schedule instructors for each ERC course and distribute teaching schedule. Determine how to contact them at the rally site.

11. Arrange for liability insurance and for payment therefor by the BMW MOA Foundation treasurer. Obtain and submit insurance certificates for all affected entities.

12. Obtain sufficient cones for the ERCs (a supply is available).

13. Obtain sufficient spray chalk to chalk the range, if needed (some remains).

14. Obtain range layout measuring tapes and tools (e.g., 300ÔÇÖ tape, 100ÔÇÖ tape, chalk, string, nails, etc.).

15. Obtain first aid kit (one is available).

16. Obtain fire extinguisher (one is available).

17. Arrange for iced drinking water and cups to be available at all ERC courses.

18. Arrange for toilet facilities at the range, if necessary (could be a porta-potty).

19. Obtain ERC completion cards from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

20. Obtain 12 pens for students to use filling out forms. In an ideal world, provide 12 clipboards.

21. Obtain liability waiver forms for all students to sign.

22. Prepare or obtain student rosters and wait lists for each ERC course.

23. Provide an extra set of ERC range cards (in case an instructor forgets to bring his/.hers).

24. Obtain 12 ERC classroom card sets (they are available). Make certain that none of these are lost or taken during the courses.

25. At the site, prepare and mount directional signs to the range.

26. Chalk the range, unless it is an existing ERC-prepared range

27. Bring or send all necessary teaching materials (e.g., cones, chalk, layout tools, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, rosters and wait lists, completion cards, waivers forms, student evaluation forms, your own range cards, etc.) to the range.

28. Prepare the range for instruction.

29. Be present at the beginning of each ERC course to explain procedures to instructors and make sure everything is in readiness.

30. In case of an instructor no-show (has not happened to date) be prepared to teach.

31. Assure there is a procedure for transferring cones, etc., from an afternoon ERC to the next morningÔÇÖs ERC.

32. Appear at the end of each ERC course to collect roster, evaluations, and other materials.

33. Ship or take all materials back home.

34. Prepare summary article for October issue of BMW Owners News; submit by August 15th. Be sure to give credit to all instructors who taught ERCs and to anyone else who was particularly helpful.

35. Start over for the next year.

bmwdean said:
Rick Ahlstrom, who arranged for and coordinated the MSF Exerienced Rider Courses this year and last at the BMW MOA international rallies has resigned his volunteer position.

Any MSF-certified instructors with ERC teaching experienced who might be interested in taking over this important volunteer responsibility could contact BMW MOA Executive Director Ray Zimmerman (rayz@bmwmoa.org) regarding how to proceed.
7. Secure MSF approval of the range. If it is an existing range, there is no problem. If it is to be a range used only for these courses, this will require a range diagram and special submission to MSF. In any case, MSF must be advised and approval secured. [/i]

We have already reserved a location at a Wisconsin certified MSF / ERC course in Mequon.

Sue sez, We have already reserved a location at a Wisconsin certified MSF / ERC course in Mequon.

So now it is only 34 "easy" steps :)

jdiaz said:
How are the plans for the Road America track day working out? :laugh

Jon - YOU de DEVIL!
:wave

Actually, I asked Rick Hemenway to look into it. Wouldn't that be a HOOT if we can make that magic happen?

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
Actually, I asked Rick Hemenway to look into it. Wouldn't that be a HOOT if we can make that magic happen?
If Rick's taking care of it, it'll happen. And there will be a nine-course breakfast beforehand too. :eat

Count me in

I am willing to lend my expertise, or the absense thereof, to any task.

Brad and Mark discuss the upcoming Wisconsin MOA Rally

Attachments

• brad and mark talk.GIF
    brad and mark talk.GIF
    29.7 KB · Views: 245
BradfordBenn said:
We were thinking of putting you at the WI/IL border to keep the FIB's out :stick

Keep the FIBS out?!....BRILLIANT! I have a plan.

I'd like to alternate a volunteer shift outside (security or beer tent) with an indoor one (sewing or cybercafe) for a change of pace!

when is the beer choosing smapling to be held

I got some ideas on what we need

I don't want to give away your other secret identity. I will leave it up to others to guess is it the one with the pointie ears up on top, or the one with the bigish ears high on the side of his head.

You tell me. :brow

Back