Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Volunteers for 2007 Rally

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    We volunteered at registration on Weds & Thursday morning. What a great time! It was one of the high oints of our rally experience. But man, did we ever work our tails off Thursday morning. We worked from 8 to 12:30 and the line just never got shorter, but we never received a any grief from the rally goers. What a great time,

Brian

IN for the Beer Tent for '07!

Same times as this year (and the last 3+years): Wed. and Sat.

Hope to see the same faces on my shift. BobSmith7,Ossifer Bob,OneSolarGuy,and a host of others
    Onward, through the fog!

I'm In!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Willie
    IN for the Beer Tent for '07!

Same times as this year (and the last 3+years): Wed. and Sat.

Hope to see the same faces on my shift. BobSmith7,Ossifer Bob,OneSolarGuy,and a host of others
    Looking forward to it!!

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Do you really need to ask? OK, Sue, now what was it you and Brian want me to do? See y'all at the beer tent again! Hey Rev, same schedule as this time?
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic
    Hey Rev, same schedule as this time?
    Yep, that works for me!
    Onward, through the fog!

Koenemans are in

I think Sue must be nuts doing another rally so soon, so the least we can do is offer to help the handicapped . Justt kidding of course. Between the three of us, we have volunteered at registration, tallies, beer tent, 50/50, and maybe something else.

Anyway, the Koenemans are willing to help.

belquar
    I haven't decided whether or not I can make next year. But if I do....it will be by way of Thunder Bay and I will be more than happy to volunteer again. Did registration from 8 to noon on Thursday in VT. Busy as hell. Man. Again...didn't get any grief from rally goers. Most said thanks for what we were doing. They were also quite glad to make it into the tent.

Brian

volunteer

I would help with the registration area.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

In for '07

I'll be glad to work the beer tent again, I had a blast! Also happy to work some other department as well.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

ERC coordinator resigns.

Rick Ahlstrom, who arranged for and coordinated the MSF Exerienced Rider Courses this year and last at the BMW MOA international rallies has resigned his volunteer position.

Any MSF-certified instructors with ERC teaching experienced who might be interested in taking over this important volunteer responsibility could contact BMW MOA Executive Director Ray Zimmerman (rayz@bmwmoa.org) regarding how to proceed.

Here are the tasks as I wrote them up two years ago:

BMW MOA Foundation ERC Coordinator‘«÷s Tasks
    (In 35 ‘«£easy‘«ō steps!)

1. Call and talk to the state motorcycle program administrator for the state in which the ERC courses are to be held. Reactions will vary. Some will not care what you do and wish you well. Some will want to count your ERC students in their end-of-year data. Some will even offer to help you out. Some will want to be directly involved in some capacity. Some may even want their state‘«÷s instructors to teach the courses. Find out what that administrator wants and try to work with him/her.

2 Determine ERC schedule for the rally (in recent years, 6 or 8 courses).

3. Determine course fee.

4. Secure assistance to register students, or be prepared to register them. Turn all registration fees over the the BMW MOA Foundation treasurer.

5. Prepare article and registration form for the May issue of BMW Owners News and submit to the editor no later than March 15th.

6. In coordination with the BMW MOA rally chair, assure that a suitable location for a range is available. This may include a rental fee.

7. Secure MSF approval of the range. If it is an existing range, there is no problem. If it is to be a range used only for these courses, this will require a range diagram and special submission to MSF. In any case, MSF must be advised and approval secured.

8. The coordinator is a 100% volunteer and receives no pay for his/her work and instruction.

9. Identify instructors to teach all the ERC courses.

10. Schedule instructors for each ERC course and distribute teaching schedule. Determine how to contact them at the rally site.

11. Arrange for liability insurance and for payment therefor by the BMW MOA Foundation treasurer. Obtain and submit insurance certificates for all affected entities.

12. Obtain sufficient cones for the ERCs (a supply is available).

13. Obtain sufficient spray chalk to chalk the range, if needed (some remains).

14. Obtain range layout measuring tapes and tools (e.g., 300‘«÷ tape, 100‘«÷ tape, chalk, string, nails, etc.).

15. Obtain first aid kit (one is available).

16. Obtain fire extinguisher (one is available).

17. Arrange for iced drinking water and cups to be available at all ERC courses.

18. Arrange for toilet facilities at the range, if necessary (could be a porta-potty).

19. Obtain ERC completion cards from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

20. Obtain 12 pens for students to use filling out forms. In an ideal world, provide 12 clipboards.

21. Obtain liability waiver forms for all students to sign.

22. Prepare or obtain student rosters and wait lists for each ERC course.

23. Provide an extra set of ERC range cards (in case an instructor forgets to bring his/.hers).

24. Obtain 12 ERC classroom card sets (they are available). Make certain that none of these are lost or taken during the courses.

25. At the site, prepare and mount directional signs to the range.

26. Chalk the range, unless it is an existing ERC-prepared range

27. Bring or send all necessary teaching materials (e.g., cones, chalk, layout tools, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, rosters and wait lists, completion cards, waivers forms, student evaluation forms, your own range cards, etc.) to the range.

28. Prepare the range for instruction.

29. Be present at the beginning of each ERC course to explain procedures to instructors and make sure everything is in readiness.

30. In case of an instructor no-show (has not happened to date) be prepared to teach.

31. Assure there is a procedure for transferring cones, etc., from an afternoon ERC to the next morning‘«÷s ERC.

32. Appear at the end of each ERC course to collect roster, evaluations, and other materials.

33. Ship or take all materials back home.

34. Prepare summary article for October issue of BMW Owners News; submit by August 15th. Be sure to give credit to all instructors who taught ERCs and to anyone else who was particularly helpful.

35. Start over for the next year.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean
    Rick Ahlstrom, who arranged for and coordinated the MSF Exerienced Rider Courses this year and last at the BMW MOA international rallies has resigned his volunteer position.

Any MSF-certified instructors with ERC teaching experienced who might be interested in taking over this important volunteer responsibility could contact BMW MOA Executive Director Ray Zimmerman (rayz@bmwmoa.org) regarding how to proceed.
    7. Secure MSF approval of the range. If it is an existing range, there is no problem. If it is to be a range used only for these courses, this will require a range diagram and special submission to MSF. In any case, MSF must be advised and approval secured. [/i]
    We have already reserved a location at a Wisconsin certified MSF / ERC course in Mequon.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador; MOA Director
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Blocking the slow lane
    How are the plans for the Road America track day working out?
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Sue sez, We have already reserved a location at a Wisconsin certified MSF / ERC course in Mequon.

So now it is only 34 "easy" steps
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz
    How are the plans for the Road America track day working out?
    Jon - YOU de DEVIL!

Actually, I asked Rick Hemenway to look into it. Wouldn't that be a HOOT if we can make that magic happen?
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador; MOA Director
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Blocking the slow lane
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke
    Actually, I asked Rick Hemenway to look into it. Wouldn't that be a HOOT if we can make that magic happen?
    If Rick's taking care of it, it'll happen. And there will be a nine-course breakfast beforehand too.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador