• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA messed up bad in my book

Unbelievable

Whathisface could have gone for another beautiful ride for all the time he spent crafting his "Wahhhh-gram." Oh, that's right--there wouldn't have been anyone standing in his garage applauding his return.

I rode the Peaks of America Tour because I wanted to be at the 3 rallies.... co-chairing Registration/Awards in Boise for RA Rally, attending TOR Rally without running the event, and then at MOA Rally in Vermont. Three really great rallies to attend. Would I have done all 3 without a pin? Probably, but it was an incentive.

When I was working the booth in Vermonty where the pins were being handed out, you have to know that it was a challenge for some to particpate and complete the event. One rider from KC area told me that he trained most of the year to participate, and then he had some health issues that would have precluded him from finishing. But he persevered and got the pin...it brought tears to his eyes and mine.

We ride our bikes for many reasons. Participating in a Peaks of America Tour may be one of them.

I hope we have other similar events to challenge those who want to see if they can stretch their riding skills.

Deb Lower
BMW MOA VP

My Turn

OK, so if it is time to stand up and be recognized I'll try. Even if my back does hurt some.

I had a great POA ride. Solo. I don't expect folks to cheer me because I did it. I did it for me. But, if you see me and ask, I will be able to tell you tales for hours. I managed to make the adventure 7,340 miles long.

Does anyone know the real number of folks who did the tour? I thought Greg Feeler said 200 or so at the closing ceremony, then I keep reading this 125 number. And, does anybody know who was the oldest participant? I'm thinking of laying claim to that honor at 63yr-10mo.

John

p.s. I'm also laying claim to the first mention of the idea of making all three rallys in one trip. Big thanks to Rob Nye the idea of making it an "official" tour.

p.p.s. OK, gloat is over. Now I have to go mow the grass.

I got to ride through some of the most beautiful country imaginable and not have to work for 3 weeks and all I got was this losey T-Shirt and pin...

:violin

Kevin :bolt

Ok got home today 7750 miles exactly, three weeks, and an azz that feels like a rock.
I do want to take back about the money I spent, I should of only said the part that I would of rather spent my money to hit Nova scotia and that is all I should of said about money, sorry about that.
I took the time to read all the posts and thanks for the funny posts, and thanks for the honest posts.
The reasons for the short ceremonies and the reasons for this and that, fair enough, but I want to share this, I met about a dozen or so riders on the way home, and had time to share my thoughts on the POA tour, not one of them disagreed with me that recognizing should be shared with all who played a role in all the MOA events, and keep it short and sweet, a couple more minutes here and their who cares we just spent up to three weeks to get their whats a couple more minutes to make sure everyone get noticed, with that said, we who did do the POA where not identified as a WHOLE as the same as the ones who did longest miles or oldest or youngest etc etc.

If you take the time to post a page on the web about the POA, say their is going to be more than one award for the POA, say its a once in a lifetime event, remember they said "not even the old folke can remember when their was such alignment of such a tour", you should take the time to acknowledged the ones who was able to take on such a challenge not because its was just a person challenge, but a challenge brought up by the ones involved with the POA getting it started.

Now as being new to riding tours and I read this on the MOA site, and new to rallies, I see a great way to challenge myself, and show to myself I can do it, and I did and still had a great time, but to do all three rallies their was little time to take and stop and enjoy in-between each if you wanted to hit the beginning and end of each rally, it was even more tough getting to Vermont in the heat we had.

With all that said, we all should get noticed for things others challenge us to do, or advertise on a page to want us to take advantage of such challenge based on the words spoken on the POA page, things we do on our own shouldn't but if noticed makes us feel really good.

If I could do it all over again, I would of not done the tour, not done the RA rally, and put that week into Nova scotia, I had a budget, and that budget I tried to make Nova Scotia even after Vermont, but I could not make the time to go, as I have already done three weeks.

You learn as ya go, will cancel my MOA membership??????

Well like most of you have said, long ceremonies, to many awards, do the ride for yourself, personal gain, meet people, experiences on places you went or going to go,,,,,,,,,well lets see, if its all about the ride, then why would I need to be apart of the MOA then, why do I need to attend rallies, except to stop by if in the area and check out the vendors,, then as a newbie looks like the best thing for me to do would enjoy the ride, and stay involved in my chapter in my area.

Your all right, its all about the ride, not the rally, or the membership to the MOA.

I had a great time, had a great ride, but it was a push the whole way not much time to stop and enjoy for someone like me who has a family and a business, remember 7700 miles in three weeks, with rallies taking 3 days each weekend, it was a challenge mostly for the time to do it, met great people, and I will never forget it,,,,,BUT I HOLD MY GROUND FOR THE ONES WHO DID THIS, SHOULD OF BEEN NOTICED BETTER THAN THE WAY THEY DID IT IN CLOSING CERIMONIES. SORRY BUT THATS HOW I SEE IT, NOT JUST ME, BUT TO ALL WHO DID IT.

Ballen, you take this **** way too seriously. I wish you the best, but you need to learn to let go.

Emoto said:
Ballen, you take this **** way too seriously. I wish you the best, but you need to learn to let go.
To me life is more than just blow it off because one messed up or one forgot to do the right thing.

If you or anyone else sees a mistake or make a mistake we all jump in and should try and keep it from happening in the future, if we simply just blow it off, what gain is their.

I told you all I have moved on, I have said my peace, and now its for them to do with it as they see fit.

Oh trust me its not that I take the **** to seriously, I am one who just believes in doing the right thing, and seeing the right thing being done.

Little thought for ya, the one who won the long mileage on the POA, I would love to of asked him this question, would he of done the POA if their was no award for long mileage????????????????????????? :usa

Enjoy the memories....

a while back.....I rode from SoCal to the MOA rally in Charleston.....did Paonia and a few other stops on the way.....a couple of 900+ miles days in there somewhere.....somewhere around 8,000 miles, and plenty of heat too....

It was a ball.....it took 3 weeks....I made new friends and met up with old friends....

Can't wait to do it again.....

Hope to meet you on the road when you are on your next trip.....

:wave

ballen262 said:
To me life is more than just blow it off because one messed up or one forgot to do the right thing.

If you or anyone else sees a mistake or make a mistake we all jump in and should try and keep it from happening in the future, if we simply just blow it off, what gain is their.

I told you all I have moved on, I have said my peace, and now its for them to do with it as they see fit.

Oh trust me its not that I take the **** to seriously, I am one who just believes in doing the right thing, and seeing the right thing being done.

Little thought for ya, the one who won the long mileage on the POA, I would love to of asked him this question, would he of done the POA if their was no award for long mileage????????????????????????? :usa

Well, if the guy's name is available, I bet we can find him and ask him. I will bet you a couple of beers at the Wisc rally that he would have stilll done it. A lot of folks just plain like to ride. On second thought, I'll buy you a beer either way. Ask around for EMOTO to find me. :drink

Ballen,
I'm gonna have to go with Emoto on this, but at the same time you do make some points. Most of the players in this game are old hands and as such probably read the hype and the event in a different way. I signed in at Vermont, had the girls cut my armbands off, and walked away with a sense of satisfaction. I never considered the closing ceremonies and in fact was again on the road at the time. My attitude is as worthy of criticism as yours. Was I being selfish in walking away with my sense of satisfaction in completing the ride, but ignoring the accomplishments of other participants? I think that I was. Ballen, I apologize for that.
Years ago, I can remember the feeling of having my name called and walking up to be presented an Enduro trophy, and you know what, it wasn't bad. However, the gold colored plastic long ago ended up in the dumpster and today, I cannot remember one single awards ceremony. Ah, but the events, the people, now that's a different story. (58, for those already penning a punch line)
The hours in the saddle, the aches, the pains, the brutal heat; these are the things that remind us that we are are alive. This ride offered all of this, but there's always a longer road and a hotter day ahead. Stick with this game, you'll find that longer road and endure that hotter day and the Peaks Tour will pale in comparison. Good luck

Motard

Motard said:
Ballen,
I'm gonna have to go with Emoto on this, but at the same time you do make some points. Most of the players in this game are old hands and as such probably read the hype and the event in a different way. I signed in at Vermont, had the girls cut my armbands off, and walked away with a sense of satisfaction. I never considered the closing ceremonies and in fact was again on the road at the time. My attitude is as worthy of criticism as yours. Was I being selfish in walking away with my sense of satisfaction in completing the ride, but ignoring the accomplishments of other participants? I think that I was. Ballen, I apologize for that.
Years ago, I can remember the feeling of having my name called and walking up to be presented an Enduro trophy, and you know what, it wasn't bad. However, the gold colored plastic long ago ended up in the dumpster and today, I cannot remember one single awards ceremony. Ah, but the events, the people, now that's a different story. (58, for those already penning a punch line)
The hours in the saddle, the aches, the pains, the brutal heat; these are the things that remind us that we are are alive. This ride offered all of this, but there's always a longer road and a hotter day ahead. Stick with this game, you'll find that longer road and endure that hotter day and the Peaks Tour will pale in comparison. Good luck

Motard

Couldn't have said it better, Motard.

True reward comes from within.

Emoto said:
Well, if the guy's name is available, I bet we can find him and ask him. I will bet you a couple of beers at the Wisc rally that he would have stilll done it. A lot of folks just plain like to ride. On second thought, I'll buy you a beer either way. Ask around for EMOTO to find me. :drink

Actually the guy was Rex Hosea and being that he has been living on his bike for the past couple of years, I think he did it for the ride. I had the chance to talk with Rex for a little bit and he is a neat guy.

Rex is the man....

BradfordBenn said:
Actually the guy was Rex Hosea and being that he has been living on his bike for the past couple of years, I think he did it for the ride. I had the chance to talk with Rex for a little bit and he is a neat guy.

In June....on the 23rd of this year....Rex had riden 125,000 miles on his bike in the last 3 years....

He probably appreciated the prize....and most certainly deserved it....but he rides 'cause he like to ride...

He is a very nice guy....

Go Rex..... :wave

Uhm, Mr. Kbasa sir, Mr. Pooh-bah, next year could you recognize me for not being at this year's rally? I don't need a plaque, but something bigger than a pin please. Maybe a nice medallion....or a really big belt buckle?
Thanks.

Cliffy777 said:
Uhm, Mr. Kbasa sir, Mr. Pooh-bah, next year could you recognize me for not being at this year's rally? I don't need a plaque, but something bigger than a pin please. Maybe a nice medallion....or a really big belt buckle?
Thanks.

Right on, Cliffy. I'll see what we can do for you.

BradfordBenn said:

I do know for a fact he is a great guy, so is everyone their at the rally, I do konw for a fact he did the POA knowing he was going to have a very good chance of walking away with the long milage award.

After I found out their was only going to be about 125 individuals who did the POA I felt I was up their on the high milage, but felt an older person retired would get it, and I was right.

If I was apart of the MOA upper team to promote it, I would find ways to bring in the younger generation, I would love to see how many members of the MOA are of the younger generation.

I just feel that it got dropped mostly because they only saw about 125 people do the POA, instead of seeing that it was such a hard challange to do it that only 125 was able to make it, that right their is a story in itself, and should be noticed dont ya all think.

So tell me, what was the main reason for doing the POA, just dont get it.
If you do all this for the ride and the experiance, why waste money doing pins and t-shirts for a POA ride that only 125 or so did.
So far I have read tons who wish they could of done it, but couldnt based on life challanges to get the time to do it. :banghead

I wasn't there but I guess I don't get the injured feelings. I thought the purpose of the ride was to have FUN and not for glory or, at least, recognition. :brow

So, my question would be ... did you have FUN doing the POA run? If the answer is yes, then there's your payback. If it wasn't fun, then don't do it again. Pretty simple choice. If you did the POA because you thought you'd get your 15 seconds of fame, then I'd simply question your motivation for participating.

Cliffy777 said:
Thanks.

This is a great new idea. Can you chair the un-awards committee? There could be all kinds of categories: Club with least amount of members present (well, it's zero). Longest distance not traveled to the rally. Most consecutive years skipping the rally. So many places to go with this idea....

StevieWonder said:
I wasn't there but I guess I don't get the injured feelings. I thought the purpose of the ride was to have FUN and not for glory or, at least, recognition. :brow

So, my question would be ... did you have FUN doing the POA run? If the answer is yes, then there's your payback. If it wasn't fun, then don't do it again. Pretty simple choice. If you did the POA because you thought you'd get your 15 seconds of fame, then I'd simply question your motivation for participating.

My motivation was to see a once in a lifetime challange promoted by the MOA on a full web page to be noticed not dropped because only 125 did it.

I have many reasons why I did the POA, was if fun, yes, will I do it diffrent next time, yes.

To everyone, go read every word on the POA tour web page, then ask yourself was it reconized like it was promoted.

Their is a big story to be told about the ONLY 125 people who was able to make it, isent that why it was promoted.

I am still waiting to hear a good reason why they even did a POA, WHY?

Was it to see a great person who lives on a bike get long milage, who had a very big chance to win it.

Back