• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"We made the paper...we made the paper!" - barely.

TheSlashFiveTourer

Original 1973 LWB R75/5
"We made the paper. . . we made the paper!" - barely.

Not much of an article in the local newspaper today. I thought they'd be more impressed when 8,000 riders show up in their front yard looking to spend and have a good time.

("Vroom, Vroom" ???) ` ` :stick

Maybe tomorrow's edition will have better coverage . . .

"High technology: A digital motor maintenance system performs self-diagnostics as the motorcycle is running, Pelkey said. "It means it's always running at its optimum."

Hahaha. That's true, as long as I've rebooted my moronic brain today. Otherwise, not so much.

- Sam

Low key

Yep, newpaper coverage is characteristically "low key" in Vermont. Folks up this way don't get real excited about very much, unless someone wants to put up one of those giant whirley things that makes electricity. Specially if it's on top of a mountain or in their back yahd.

But we are a friendly lot, once ya get to know us.

Vermonta from S Burlington

made the paper

Did you post that from Vermont, Slash? That's a long ride from the Lower Mainland, even for a /5.

Rinty

TV coverage

However, there was great TV coverage both on the 20th in the evening and morning news on the 21st showing the economic impact of such a visit and appreciating it...

I picked up the Burlington paper this morning and expected to see something about us on the front page. They had an article and picture of a vintage BMW in the middle of the paper. The article said BMW motorcycle had high technological features such as anti-lock breaks.

Yeah, and it also says that the public is not welcome. Doesn't do too much for the 'Elitist Snob' image of the 'BMW rider'! This should be open to the public with day passes. These people will remember this attitude when they decide to buy a touring bike. I know I will!! Bye, snobs!!

Burlington Resident

You do not have to be MOA member either.
Cannot get into HOG or ABATE rally without being a member.

Unregistered said:
The paper was wrong.

Maybe technically. But the following is from THIS website:

Will there be Day Passes?
With a crowd of this size, there are NO day passes because they are too difficult for us to control. While we invite you to spend a few days at the rally you will find value in paying the admission even for one day. Even if you only stay one day you are eligible to win door prizes as you will not need to be present to win some of the grand prizes.

So I can pay $35 to see some BMW motorcycles? What a privilege!! It is exclusion by default. No one locally will pay that just to wander around and look at BMW motorcycles.....

Burlington Resident

RE: Rally welcomes

Unregistered said:

With a crowd of this size, there are NO day passes because they are too difficult for us to control. While we invite you to spend a few days at the rally you will find value in paying the admission even for one day. Even if you only stay one day you are eligible to win door prizes as you will not need to be present to win some of the grand prizes.

So I can pay $35 to see some BMW motorcycles? What a privilege!! It is exclusion by default. No one locally will pay that just to wander around and look at BMW motorcycles.....

Burlington Resident

Thin skin?

I like the idea that not every hood is permited to enter. Most BMW rallies that I've been too, there are $1,000's of dollars of farkles on the bikes. If a day tripper was shopping, it would be a great chance to pick up a few V-1's, GPS', radios etc.

Thanks but I like the current system.

As for being snobs, sorry but what other brand rally attendees would visit with you and then give you the keys to the bike for a test ride. My wife became a BMW rider because a certain RED RIDER offered her bike to test ride. :lurk

Thanks for playing.

Rob Lessen
Arma, KS

'05 R12RT
'96 R11RS
'91 R100GSPD
'73 XL250

rinty said:
Did you post that from Vermont, Slash? That's a long ride from the Lower Mainland, even for a /5.

Rinty
Allo, Rint! Naw, I'm stuck here in the wilds off the Coquihalla Highway this year. Family matters precluded heading for Vermont in '06 but Wisconsin in '07 is lookin' good 'specially after viewing Jeff Dean's pictures of the site ` ` :thumb

As for the /5, it's pretty basic, you know, and always gets me where I'm going. A motor, two sets of drum brakes, wiring of some description here and there, a LOUD horn and a gas tank - that's pretty well it. It doesn't stop very good but then, I don't travel very fast. It's getting on in years but so am I. So I just ride s-l-o-w-l-y and let the 'K's, the 'R's', the 'RT's' and the odd '1200CLC' zoom on by in pursuit of whatever it is they may be pursuing. I can never figure out why the other guys are in such a hurry. The rally's not gonna start without 'em!

See you in West Bend next July, bud! ` ` :wave

I knew I forgot osmething when I left saturday, the paper! Grah! Anyone have an extra one? (not the "cream puff" one... the full-pager that was at the main building I heard about.... cream puff my arse!) PM me if you do :) TIA.

Unregistered said:

Burlington Resident

Well, thank godness that the vast majority of Vermont residents are not so snobish as yourself. There are all manner of club events that occur in Vermont and at the fairgrounds, and I wouldn't think of "crashing" their event. If I'm interested in whatever is occuring, I'd join their club. Just because an event is occuring locally doesn't mean that all Vermonters must be included ( and besides are Burlington Residents really Vermonters? Many folks in Vermont think not!)

As a MOA member, I would prefer that only club members and their guess are allowed in to the rally. I don't believe that anyone off the street with $35 bucks should be allowed in.

Brian

Unregistered said:
Yeah, and it also says that the public is not welcome. Doesn't do too much for the 'Elitist Snob' image of the 'BMW rider'! This should be open to the public with day passes. These people will remember this attitude when they decide to buy a touring bike. I know I will!! Bye, snobs!!

Burlington Resident

Dear Sir

This was NOT a motorcycle show. This was a Club/Member event.

Chip
South Burlington, VT
K12RS

Back