• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trip Report Out: NY - UT - Glacier - Banff - Jasper - Thunder Bay - NY

Chrisrides

I wanted to open this thread as a place to start downloading pictures and info from a trip I just returned from with my dad. As the header of this entry states, we rode from NY to southern Utah (via Denver), then up North to Boise, Glacier, Banff, and jasper before turning easterward again. Total trip mileage was 7500 and spent about 20 riding days.

The machines used: an '04 R1150RT and an '05 R1200ST. Equipment on both bikes were standard hardbags, my dad had a FAMSA tankbag, mine was a wolfman explorer tankbag, and we both had kaoko throttle locks. I also had the BMW nav II GPS deal on my bike.

We planned on going the hotel route, so no major camping gear to speak of.

I'll start adding notes and trip thoughts over the next few days and pix as well (I have over 500 of them, so need to be a little chosey)

Dealer Experiences

What I am about to write here is my own personal opinion on the dealerships we came across during this trip. Other folks may have had different expereinces, but I wanted to pass along how we were treated:

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

The Good - Max BMW. Ok - i'm not cheesing because they are my homebase dealership and I'm hoping they'll give me a free GS fro writing this, but I feel spoiled by the good service and support I get from this shop. They took both our bikes in on short notice and serviced 'em up before the trip and are taking them right in to get some repair work done post trip.

Big Twin in Boise - we scheduled oil changes and ended up needing tires and a 12K service on one of the bikes - they hooked us up

The bad and the ugly!! In Alberta we noticed what looked like an oil leak on my dad's left cylinder head. We were not sure exactly what the situation was, but thought we should check it out. We braved Calgary's traffic (got separated in the process), and finally made it to the BMW shop listed in the BMW book - Blackfoot Motor Sports. The BMW tech looked at my dad's bike and said it was a 5 minute job - and then went to lunch. The service manager then came out and said there was nothing they could do for days, and could they schedule us to come back later in the week. We explained we were on the road and needed to get rolling, and what the mechanic told us ... no dice. The person told us the service mgr HAD SPOKEN. Dang, I wish i hadn't bought a quart of oil from that shop!! I was really disappointed they would leave us hanging like that - but they did and went off back to selling the hondas, triumphs, KTMs and other numerous bikes in there shop.

If you think this is a whine - sorry, but I think it's good to pass along the shop names that really support us out there on the road when we're in need.

Very cool places/rides on trip

There were so many places to see it's hard to pick 1 favorite ride on this trip ... so here are a few that stand out:

- Mt. Evans near Denver - 14 miles of switchbacks going up to 12,000 ft - put on your electric vest down by echo lake when you start up the hill

- Blanding, UT to Cedar City, UT - if I remember correctly, take route 95 and 12 through an awsome series of canyons, mountains, and near the colorado river ... just awsome!!

- Glacier to Banff to Jasper: too cool to describe ... Pix to follow

Chrisrides said:
The bad and the ugly!! In Alberta we noticed what looked like an oil leak on my dad's left cylinder head. We were not sure exactly what the situation was, but thought we should check it out. We braved Calgary's traffic (got separated in the process), and finally made it to the BMW shop listed in the BMW book - Blackfoot Motor Sports. The BMW tech looked at my dad's bike and said it was a 5 minute job - and then went to lunch. The service manager then came out and said there was nothing they could do for days, and could they schedule us to come back later in the week. We explained we were on the road and needed to get rolling, and what the mechanic told us ... no dice. The person told us the service mgr HAD SPOKEN. Dang, I wish i hadn't bought a quart of oil from that shop!! I was really disappointed they would leave us hanging like that - but they did and went off back to selling the hondas, triumphs, KTMs and other numerous bikes in there shop.

Yep, that sounds pretty much like their typical level of service. I hardly ever go there for anything other than tires (they have the best prices in town due to the volume they move). I just take in the wheels though, not the bike. That way they'll do them usually same day without booking ahead. Next time you (or anyone else) need service or repairs or parts in Calgary, visit Anderwerks. Its a private BMW shop with a much better attitude. They are advertised in the Anonymous book too.

Chrisrides said:
. . . what looked like an oil leak on my dad's left cylinder head. We were not sure exactly what the situation was, but thought we should check it out. We braved Calgary's traffic (got separated in the process), and finally made it to the BMW shop listed in the BMW book - Blackfoot Motor Sports. The BMW tech looked at my dad's bike and said it was a 5 minute job - and then went to lunch. The service manager then came out and said there was nothing they could do for days, and could they schedule us to come back later in the week. We explained we were on the road and needed to get rolling, and what the mechanic told us ... no dice. The person told us the service mgr HAD SPOKEN. Dang, I wish i hadn't bought a quart of oil from that shop!! I was really disappointed they would leave us hanging like that - but they did and went off back to selling the hondas, triumphs, KTMs and other numerous bikes in there shop.

If you think this is a whine - sorry, but I think it's good to pass along the shop names that really support us out there on the road when we're in need.

Nothing like good customer advertising! I had the same situation with an arrogant service manager, but it was at the dealership where I bought my K12LT! Needless to say, neither I nor my LT have been back there since. As a matter of fact, luckily that situation brought me to Max BMW, where like the writer says, they bend over backwards for the riders. My hat's off to Max and his staff. They're the best!

The Locksa ... what a ride!!

Just was thinking of this part of the ride and had to write about it for anyone unfamiliar with this path ... start near Boise and head up north towards Eagle, McCall ... a gorgeous ride in of itself ... then ride for approx 100 miles along the Locksa river ... you'll see signs such as "Windy Roads Next 77 Miles" and there are a few (but not too many) places to hop off the bike and get a great Huckleberry Shake ...

For that matter, anyone in Southern Utah going from Rt. 95 to Rt. 12 and passing Through hanksville has to stop off for a shake there ... I think there is pretty much 1 combined gas station/restaurant there ... banana creme!! I think they may have won best shake of the trip!!

How my R1200ST did on trip :)

Thought it would be some good info for folks out here to say how my bike performed on this trip ... the '+'s and '-'s:

Started trip at 7700 miles on the bike and finished in the 15K range. Used 1 quart of oil over this distance (I did have an oil change mid way though). Handling and comfort - bike does really well on a long day's ride, but seat does leave something to be desired. Getting pretty soft up front and results in 'crushing' sesnation in the you know where area. Wearing leather pants with right cut actually minimizes this a lot though. Fuel wise - ran close to 50 mpg.

Used my kaoko throttle lock a lot. Still see some decent vibration in throttle and pegs. Think this is decreasing as bike continues to break in.

Bike did a very good job on thgis trip. On the way back I was 2 up. Starting off going slow I had to be very careful in terms of handling 2 up, but at a little speed, but had tons of power and control. Spacewise though, if we were camping - no way we could have done it with 1 bike, would have needed 2 to carry all our junk.

Nothing like good customer advertising! I had the same situation with an arrogant service manager, but it was at the dealership where I bought my K12LT! Needless to say, neither I nor my LT have been back there since. As a matter of fact, luckily that situation brought me to Max BMW, where like the writer says, they bend over backwards for the riders. My hat's off to Max and his staff. They're the best!

I bought my 1600GT from Max. They are absolutely top notch!

Icefield Parkway, Banff to Jasper is awe-worthy.

You would have blown right by me onto T-Bay. I would have loved the chance to see you.

Next time.

but seat does leave something to be desired. Getting pretty soft up front and results in 'crushing' sesnation in the you know where area. Wearing leather pants with right cut actually minimizes this a lot though.

Time waits for no man or upholstery foam.......

I know this was a old thread to begin with but my experience with Blackfoot last year was quite different. Last year I was on my way home to Michigan from my trip to Alaska, my front tire was starting to look like it wouldn’t make home so I decided to replace it. This was on a Sunday and I was going to be near Calgery on Tuesday so I decided to call Blackfoot on Monday to see if they could get me in but the problem was I didn’t know that Monday was a Canadian holiday so I could only leave a message. I showed up Tuesday shortly after they opened and talked to the service manager, he said yes he got my message and pointed to the service door and said pull it in there and we’ll get you taken care of. I was in and out in less than an hour even though I counted 23 bikes lined up waiting for service. The other amazing thing to me was that the total price for the PR 5 Michelin installed was what I paid for the tire before I left home. Jerry

A lot has changed with Blackfoot in the past several years in how they serve their customers; glad you had a good experience. I am quite happy with the treatment I got earlier this year buying my F850GSA from them.

Back