Thread: BMW Sportbike???

BMW Sportbike???

I've seen a teaser on a British site, motorcyclenews.com referring to a new BMW Sportbike, anyone here seen or have any hard info? Photos? Thx.

dlearl476

The only thing that I have to say about having a new BMW sportbike is "Oh thank God, they are finally going to actually appeal to the youth market." This commet is coming from a 22 year old mind you. The F650CS as a bike to appeal to the younger market is a f@@king joke when I could go out and buy a Hayubusa or a Honda CBR RR for the same price. I just hope that this will convert some more of the young riders to becoming part of the BMW faithful

first off the K bikes are not sports bikes and no where close to it. i went from my first bike, ducati 916, to the R1100S at the ripe old age of 22. what the youth market, as a whole doesnt realize and for the most part never will, is that sports bike are not practical at all. they are loads of fun and i love every minute i get to ride my friends' bikes. but that being said, skill kicks in and they never leave me behind when i am on the S. flat out, yeah they pull ahead. but in the curves, where it matters, the bike handles, it has the grunt to go and well i just commuted in this morning in with temperatures in the high 30's for 45 minutes. would you do that on a GSXR, R6/1, etc?

that being said, i would love to see a true sport bike from bmw, even if it meant traditional front end and chain drive. but only if it was under 400lbs and put out over 130HP. if they wont do that, then they should not waste our time. aprillia can have my money.

repoe3

I know plenty of guys who still run on their sportbikes when it gets cold. Sure they may not be the most practical bikes for everything, but still they are a heck of a lot more affordable for someone who doesn't have a particularly great job or is young to be able to have a bike that is a lot of fun. Even then you can still tour on a sportbike, ask Peter Hoogeveen, and check out this link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...threadid=25712

no doubt it can be done...i know people who have done it. but with hard bags with integrated mounts, other equipment that is meant for the long haul, the S fills the bill.

back to the subject of the thread, lets consider the idea of bmw produces a sportsbike close to teh description i gave. doubt it will compete with the japanese. bmw will price accordingly with other european rides and understandably. i would rather they make a desirable bike rather than throw something out in the $8-$10k range just for the sake of it. cant really say there are too many sport bikes in the $10k that i like. either they are 4 cylinders or well they just dont do it for me. gotta be a twin for me, but i would with a smirk on my face ride an mv agusta. only thing euro near the $10-$12k mark is monsters and tounos. at least from the stand point of worth riding (opinion of course). there is only one japanese sport bike that i would consider and that is the RC51, probably to be dropped now that they will race the CBR1000R. shame. another reason bmw would be priced higher is to maintain thay higher level of quality (said with tongue firmly in cheek). the perception that one rides a bmw motorcycle does suggest that more was spent on the motorcycle. bmw likes to keep its image up there.

repoe3