• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oilhead vs. Airhead - what are the differences?

Because all of those new "traditional" bikes make about 65 hp or less. Right in there with the old airheads. Notice that any of the bikes from those manufacturers that make anything closer to 100hp are water cooled. In that respect, getting 95hp out of an air/oil cooled bike is pretty unusual.

Great thread for noobe

If regs required the redesign of the boxer why has H-D continue to produce a twin without these changes? Even Triumph, Kawaski and Yamaha have new traditional air-cooled twins.

MarkF

This is one of the best threads about BMW I've seen. As a recent convert from the H-D dino's, I'm looking to learn more about my new bike's heritage.

H-D, by the way, is going with Oil/water cooling similar to the new R1200RT and my 2008 Ultra Classic was oil cooled as well as air cooled.

This is one of the best threads about BMW I've seen. As a recent convert from the H-D dino's, I'm looking to learn more about my new bike's heritage.

H-D, by the way, is going with Oil/water cooling similar to the new R1200RT and my 2008 Ultra Classic was oil cooled as well as air cooled.

Not to mention that Harley has had fuel injection and electronic ignition (and retards the rear cylinder to keep it cooler) for a long time now. They are retaining the looks and the sound, but they are being dragged into the future, too. I don't know about the Yamahas, but the Triumphs are modern engines with retro looks.

.and then theres me,with my 84 R100RT.Must be a Roilhead:has an oil cooler but it is also carburetted and air cooled.Ailhead?
I had a 1971 R75/5 and with my rudimentary skills I managed to limp through most everything.My R100 died when the diode board burned,but if I had had the wit to buy and strap on an auto battery,it would not have been a tow job.Other than that,the R 100's mechanical problems have mostly been within my reach.Have done roadside tire changes on both.

you've got an Airhead. You could disconnect the oil cooler on your bike and nothing bad would happen (as long as everything was properly closed off, of course). Do that with an Oilhead, and you'll have a dead motor in no short order.

Oilheads have oil coolers. Oilheads REQUIRE oil coolers, unlike the airheads which sometimes have them for additional cooling (R100GSPD). Airheads are more reliable and user-friendly to service. Oilheads get better gas mileage when they're not surging or stalling because of improperly engineered or adjusted Botched Moronic Fool Infection. Airheads don't break transmission castings unless you kick start them just wrong. Oilheads break transmission castings because of where the pivots are. Airheads have four valves to adjust and you only have to adjust them once to get them adjusted. Oilheads have eight valves and you have to adjust each of them at least twice (maybe more) to get them right. Airheads were designed and built during a time when BMW felt that reliability and longevity were reasonable and honorable goals. Back then, BMW felt that the bikes SHOULD be owner maintained and provided both the tools and instructions in the owners manual to do so. Oilheads are from the era when marketing and accouting run the company. What few tools are provided are cheap and insufficient. But there is no information available from BMW to try to maintain it yourself anyway. The owners manual simply says, "Don't sue us" and "You are supposed to take the bike to the dealer for service." Oh, and Bring More Wallet when you do.

So Oil Head's Unite an put YouTube Videos out to make up for lack of Manufacturer support. I am a newbie and YouTube has given me the extra I needed to work on my oilhead. I can only afford the bike if I do most of the Maintenance. I have the skill sets not the experience with these machines.

Already done, and a hell of a lot better than U-Tube. Jim Bade, from Northern Virginia, has been doing high quality DVD's of oilhead, hexhead, cam head and now wethead maintenance procedures for years.

A simple google search can find him, or hang out on ADVrider in the "GSpot" series of forums. Goes by the jimvonbaden handle.

Here's his website: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/

George Mangicaro, owner of Beemers Uber Alles in Manassas Virginia has helped with some of the newer vids. George is a pro, and a damn good one. Sometimes writes a maintenance column in the Owner's News.

...When it quickly became clear that BMW's traditional customers rejected the K-bike,

This traditional customer didn't reject them, it just took him 25 years to warm up to a 1993 example of one.

...getting 95hp out of an air/oil cooled bike is pretty unusual.

My camhead laughs at 95 hp. But then, my airhead laughs at bikes with water cooling, computers, pressurized fuel-spitters, a bunch of little bitty pistons, and sufficient electricity. While my K1100 laughs at any bike that can't be run 70,000 miles while completely ignoring recommended maintenance. I guess they are just jolly motorcycles - each with different warts and charms. Kind of like the kids and grandkids.

The airheads won't be coming back. That ship has sailed. Other than a Honda Goldwing, I've never had a water-cooled bike that wasn't water-heated for the rider. Even the waterboxer throws more heat at the rider than the oil, hex, and camheads did/do. The K-bike? Wear a flamesuit.

Whether you are right or wrong, it is futile to lament the march of progress. Buy new repeatedly, or keep and preserve an old one. If they don't make 'em like they used to, then get one they used to make and make it like (or better than) it used to be. You may find it rewarding and you may by chance learn something. You may find that you have developed a love for what it is, rather than an itch for what's next. Or you may even find that lost state of grace called "satisfaction". .

Being an inveterate tinkerer instead of a classic restorer, mine always end up with some modern functionality adapted to make them more livable. I currently have my "new" '93 K bike down for a resto-mod, one goal of which is heat mitigation. My airhead makes more electricity than either the camhead or the K bike. Just an old retired engineer tinkering and riding. Kids are grown; everything's paid for; and no-one in their right mind would hire me. I wasn't left with enough money to buy new repeatedly in my retirement. But, I ended up blessed with a bit of money and a bit of life left and this is how I choose to blow the both of them until one or the other runs out.

Last edited:
Airheads are the first generation BMW twins - R100, R75, R90, R60, R65, R50, etc.

Oilheads are the second generation twins - the R850, R1100 and 1150s and R1200s.

Chromeheads are the R1200C and CLC guys.

No, the first generation BMW twins were produced in 1923.

There were several generations between them and the 247 Airheads of 1969.

Oilheads

Oilheads have oil coolers. Oilheads REQUIRE oil coolers, unlike the airheads which sometimes have them for additional cooling (R100GSPD). Airheads are more reliable and user-friendly to service. Oilheads get better gas mileage when they're not surging or stalling because of improperly engineered or adjusted Botched Moronic Fool Infection. Airheads don't break transmission castings unless you kick start them just wrong. Oilheads break transmission castings because of where the pivots are. Airheads have four valves to adjust and you only have to adjust them once to get them adjusted. Oilheads have eight valves and you have to adjust each of them at least twice (maybe more) to get them right. Airheads were designed and built during a time when BMW felt that reliability and longevity were reasonable and honorable goals. Back then, BMW felt that the bikes SHOULD be owner maintained and provided both the tools and instructions in the owners manual to do so. Oilheads are from the era when marketing and accouting run the company. What few tools are provided are cheap and insufficient. But there is no information available from BMW to try to maintain it yourself anyway. The owners manual simply says, "Don't sue us" and "You are supposed to take the bike to the dealer for service." Oh, and Bring More Wallet when you do.

I'm guessing a final drive failure in your recent experience. :dance

I'm guessing a final drive failure in your recent experience. :dance

I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply. This thread started over 14 years ago and most of the comments are very ancient at this point!

I have two airheads and one oilhead. I have not gone past the oilhead era due to the fact that BMW has made them less user serviceable over time and much less in the 1200+ era. Also, the build quality is not there. Having had the opportunity to watch, help and learn from disassembling both an 1150 and a 1200 I can tell you that a LOT of things are over built on oilheads like they were on airheads. But things like the steering head bearings for just one example are way cheaper and smaller on the 1200 than the oilhead which is similar to an airhead in this regard. In other words, I don't think BMW builds bikes to last anymore. It's all about performance and meeting or beating the competitor horsepower numbers. Unless you are racing realistically, the horsepower an oilhead delivers is MORE than enough for even a demanding rider.

Just my opinions of course and most will disagree I'm sure especially if they own 1200 and up bikes. Not arguing that performance and handling keep going up however I don't think the new models will last the test of time like airheads have and continue to do so. In the fall of 2016 I rode my 1982 RS over 1500 miles and back without a single problem other than when a fellow airhead dropped his bike on mine at a rally photo op. Last fall I repainted and did maintenance on that same bike and rode it over 8000 miles to PA and back to BC for a rally. I had a leaky brake line which I fixed at the rally (my fault for not tightening it enough!) and a slight weep from the final drive drain plug area. Replaced a faulty crush washer and refilled the drive. These old airheads will go the distance and the issues you may run into are often easily repairable. When I grab a handful of throttle on that RS it never fails to put a grin on my face. Same goes for the oilhead RT. I think it is one of the best long distance touring bikes ever made. Once you get the surging under control that is... With the newer 1200+ bikes, without a GS911 and a lot of debugging skills good luck fixing it on the road!

Fuel injection, ABS, and robust electrics are improvements found on oilheads, but I think airheads with their conventional forks handle a bit better than the later bikes with telelever. IMHO, the telelever was/is more about marketing and product differentiation than improved suspension and better handling. The setup looks impressive in the showroom and BMW's geometry is anti-dive but I feel the assembly lacks torsional rigidity (maybe because the top and bottom clamps attach to different tubes?) and provides rather vague feedback, especially at speed.

USD forks would likely be a better choice for the newer machines but were/are not as unique.

There is good reason race bikes (where feedback is critical to the rider) don't use telelever.

Evolution does not necessarily equate with progress ...

Fuel injection, ABS, and robust electrics are improvements found on oilheads, but I think airheads with their conventional forks handle a bit better than the later bikes with telelever. IMHO, the telelever was/is more about marketing and product differentiation than improved suspension and better handling. The setup looks impressive in the showroom and BMW's geometry is anti-dive but I feel the assembly lacks torsional rigidity (maybe because the top and bottom clamps attach to different tubes?) and provides rather vague feedback, especially at speed.

USD forks would likely be a better choice for the newer machines but were/are not as unique.

There is good reason race bikes (where feedback is critical to the rider) don't use telelever.

Yes, EFI, ABS, better(?) electrics in paper look like improvements, definitely. But as a former R1100RA owner, I can tell you that none of all these come with no problems at all. Surging, rough idling, ABS faults all over the place, the stock battery not providing a nominal voltage high enough for all these to work properly. Because, voltage/current is critical when your bike is essentially built around a computer that some call Moronic. I sold my R1100RA because it became ridiculously expensive to maintain it after the 15 year mark (it was a 1997 model) it started asking, a lot, around 2012-'13. The forks were OK but the Telelever, definitely suffers in the feedback category, especially at high speeds. I am trying and will eventually go back to a good solid R100R that I can do most of the maintenance myself. Plus after ~40 years on the saddle and given my riding style, I am confident I do not need ABS nor traction control. Plus I can run my bike on standard 87 oct. gas. The big question is : Where are all these R100R that were imported in the USA between 1993 and 1995? (note: no I am not looking for a 1992 model). They almost never come up for sale and when they do they are either abused or stripped down to resemble a Cafe Racer but not very convincingly and -either way- are way overpriced.

Telelever

In all fairness, I'm sure that the Telelever was a bit more than a "marketing" ploy.

I have the luxury of taking my R1150RT and R90s to the track on occasion. The RT instills confidence with it's "on rails" handling, at every lean angle, every throttle setting. My R90s in comparison, moves around like a Labrador Retiever in heat. Its always predictable and there's never any surprises, but yeah, suspension technology between the two bikes is night and day. And my R90s is setup pretty well, suspension wise.

Day to day riding, on Michigan's embarrassing roads, I'll take the Telelever system over my old bike any day. It's more comfortable to ride, and the bike is less "busy", etc.

I'm sure modern forks are quite good but in my test comparison, there really isn't any. :)

In all fairness, I'm sure that the Telelever was a bit more than a "marketing" ploy.

I have the luxury of taking my R1150RT and R90s to the track on occasion. The RT instills confidence with it's "on rails" handling, at every lean angle, every throttle setting. My R90s in comparison, moves around like a Labrador Retiever in heat. Its always predictable and there's never any surprises, but yeah, suspension technology between the two bikes is night and day. And my R90s is setup pretty well, suspension wise.

Day to day riding, on Michigan's embarrassing roads, I'll take the Telelever system over my old bike any day. It's more comfortable to ride, and the bike is less "busy", etc.

I'm sure modern forks are quite good but in my test comparison, there really isn't any. :)

I have to agree. I have two airheads and one oilhead. The telelever suspension on the Oilheads is superb and handles the road so much better than my airheads. There is really no comparison. Rubber Cow syndrome? GONE. Tail popping up on acceleration (quite inconvenient in corners!). GONE. Consistent handling in almost any conditions is what you get with a telelever. So that along with improved braking, more HP and an extraordinary reliability makes the Telelever Oilhead a great improvement over the Airheads.

I have to agree. I have two airheads and one oilhead. The telelever suspension on the Oilheads is superb and handles the road so much better than my airheads. There is really no comparison. Rubber Cow syndrome? GONE. Tail popping up on acceleration (quite inconvenient in corners!). GONE. Consistent handling in almost any conditions is what you get with a telelever. So that along with improved braking, more HP and an extraordinary reliability makes the Telelever Oilhead a great improvement over the Airheads.

I totally agree with your assessment. A couple years ago I parted with my '81 R100RT and I miss it but when I think about the brakes, smoothness, power output, and telelever suspension I feel much better and wouldn't trade my remaining oilhead for the airhead. In today's world of faster agressive drivers no way would I prefer the airhead to an oilhead. In fact I'll even take my FJR to an airhead but can't really say that with the same enthusiasm when compared to an oilhead. Glad I have both.:)

I totally agree with your assessment. A couple years ago I parted with my '81 R100RT and I miss it but when I think about the brakes, smoothness, power output, and telelever suspension I feel much better and wouldn't trade my remaining oilhead for the airhead. In today's world of faster agressive drivers no way would I prefer the airhead to an oilhead. In fact I'll even take my FJR to an airhead but can't really say that with the same enthusiasm when compared to an oilhead. Glad I have both.:)

Oh yeah but don't get me wrong. I will never give my my R80G/S which is really a Swiss Army Bike to me. That motor is just wonderful and also it will make a good old man bike I reckon.

I have had a long love affair with my Red Smoke (fastest colour!) R100RS and continue to do so however if I have to give one up and someone has enough cash that is the one that eventually I will probably part with simply because at 63 now the forward riding position even with K bike bars on it now is getting more difficult to sustain on long trips. I was reminded of that on my 8,465 mile trek to PA and back last September. I even re-foamed the seat for that trip but it did not help. That said though, that RS eats up highway all day long without complaint and handles very well for a 1982 motorcycle. 80 MPH in a strong crosswind and it just stays put. Just amazing. It was ahead of it's time and the fairing design is the best I have ever had. But neither compare with the oilhead's comfort, brakes and suspension. It's just a different animal altogether. Long days are not a problem and the coverage is great in the rain and cold.

But still... when I grab a hold of my RS throttle, fire her up and take off boy oh boy I KNOW I've got a handful of motorcycle there and it's a feeling I never get tired of.

Yeah, none of my old airheads handled all that well, either. The rubber cow moniker was given for a reason.
But ... I'd still MUCH rather have conventional forks on my R1200 GS, if given the choice.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe there's something else wrong with my low-mileage GS that I haven't discovered yet.
To me, the telelever just seems vague, especially in low-speed turns on lumpy surfaces (like a campground), or at speed down the highway.

I've had lots of other bikes. Some handled better than others. My 1200GS is not one of the better ones. YMMV.

It's enough that I have been looking for something loose on the front since the bike was new, but have never found anything.
Engine mounts? Fork clamps? Spokes? Tire pressure? Nope, nope, nope. The only thing I have determined is there is more torsional flex in the telelever setup than a normal front suspension.

Again, I believe there is good reason why the telelever is not used on more bikes. It just doesn't provide good feedback.

Last edited:
But still... when I grab a hold of my RS throttle, fire her up and take off boy oh boy I KNOW I've got a handful of motorcycle there and it's a feeling I never get tired of.

If you like your wallet to be fat... DO NOT take a wethead for a test ride. If you want an improved version of your RS however.....

Trying to compare the advantages of an Airhead to an Oilhead (or Hexhead, Camhead, or Wethead) is similar to comparing the virtues of a Volkswagen Beetle and a late model Corvette. They each have a certain appeal, but actual comparisons of features is a fools errand.

If you like simple go for the VW. If you want modern go with the Vette.

If you like things like good fuel mileage, ABS, fuel injection, etc choose the OilCamHexWetHead bike. If you like flexi-frames, carb diaphragms, wheel splines, and points ignitions choose the Airhead bike. These are personal choices akin to whether you like bananas or kumquats (apples or oranges for the traditionalist). I once owned a 1960 Simca. I don't ever want to go back there.

Trying to compare the advantages of an Airhead to an Oilhead (or Hexhead, Camhead, or Wethead) is similar to comparing the virtues of a Volkswagen Beetle and a late model Corvette. They each have a certain appeal, but actual comparisons of features is a fools errand.

If you like simple go for the VW. If you want modern go with the Vette.

If you like things like good fuel mileage, ABS, fuel injection, etc choose the OilCamHexWetHead bike. If you like flexi-frames, carb diaphragms, wheel splines, and points ignitions choose the Airhead bike. These are personal choices akin to whether you like bananas or kumquats (apples or oranges for the traditionalist). I once owned a 1960 Simca. I don't ever want to go back there.

:thumb

Back