Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adirondack camping

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar

Adirondack camping

I've decided to go north from Harrisburg PA to Binghamton NY, then NY12 through Utica, then east through the Adirondacks and cross Lake Champlain via ferry into Burlington.

Can anyone suggest a state park campground with showers near restaurants or a town in the Adirondacks?

Thanks.

Fred

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Here is where to find several choices

Try this website. Click here.

For my money I would use the Moreau campsite. It has everything you want but is a bit further south.

Thanks Paul.

I found Moreau, but you are right that it is too far south. I am entering the Adirondacks on NY28, and passing through Saranac Lake and eventually the Port Kent ferry.

Fred

raven

Near ferries

Ausable Point State park several miles north of Port kent/Burlington crossing

Cumberland Bay State Park on the Way to the Plattsburgh/Grand Isle Crossing

Search New york State Parks for details..
    Cumberland Bay is closet to food......

lake durant

I have camped at Lake Durant State Park a bunch of times. A has a very nice camping area, not all jammed in like most camp grounds. It's just a couple miles south of Blue Mountain Lake, good dining at the lodge there as of the last time I was there. If you have some time visit the Adirondack Museum, It' a interesting stop, but could use up several hours.

USERNAME
    can i pseudo hijack this thread?

so let's say you've got ONE day to do a hike in the adirondacks, and you're staying in lake placid. youre willing to drive an hour, tops, to get to the hike. on hikes you MUST have pretty views and ideally would see a waterfall or something else interesting.

what hike do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by username

so let's say you've got ONE day to do a hike in the adirondacks, and you're staying in lake placid. youre willing to drive an hour, tops, to get to the hike. on hikes you MUST have pretty views and ideally would see a waterfall or something else interesting.

what hike do you do?
    There's a big mountain outside of Lake George that offers some spectacular views. You can drive to the top, but there's plenty of opportunity to walk if you choose to.

It's been long enough that I can't remember how far it is from Lake Placid to Lake George.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

raven

Hijacking Hiker...........

A person could combine riding, hiking, and seeing some other stuff....

If you don't know Lake Placid Ironman Race is the same weekend as the rally and some roads will be closed or one-way to accomodate the Bike and running portions of the race....search lake Placid......

A lazy way would be ..head north/east on RT 86..look for perigrine falcons along the cliffs and Ausable river (Trophy trout section) visit High Falls Gorge, continue on Rt 86 stop at Whiteface Mtn (1980 winter olympics) gondola rides to the summit of little Whiteface, explore the Ausable river at the base of the Mountain (A couple of good spots for skinny dippin' if the water is LOW) continue on Rt 86 north/east to the village of Wilmington, lat the stop sign follow signs to Whitface Memorial Highway (toll) and ride to near the summit...hike or take elevator to summit Some think Whiteface offers the best adirondack views... Montreal and St Lawrence valley to the north, Mt Mansfield and the Champlain Valley to the east, the high Peaks to the south, Lake Placid to the south west, and lower mountains and hills to the west.....any riders out there that remember Marble Mountan Ski Area?...and then you have the rest of the day to do other stuff.

Wool wearing, get close to the earth wheat eaters might prefer something more wildernessy.....those National Geographic hikes are not far at all....

About 3miles south of Lake Placid on rt73 heart lake rd takes you to Heart Lake and the Adirondak loj, it is possible to Summit Marcy or Colden in one day from here (a long hard day)

Further South on Rt 73, in Keene Valley, one might hike into John Brooks Lodge and summit, Upper Wolf Jaw, Armstrong, and Gothics ,my personal favorite loop, another long hard day......

Even further south off Rt 73 across from Chapel Pond is the trailhead for one of the routes to Giant mtn, another hard hike.

There are hundreds of nice hikes around Lake Placid and within a 45 minute ride....The Guide to Adirondack Trails, by the Adirondack Mountain Club is the bible to this areas hiking trails......the hikes I mentioned are not easy..fools have done them in shorts and sneakers, and they are still looking for a few hikers that missed the right trail.....Be Prepared and be prepared

raven

Kbasa Prospect Mtn..Lake George.......

Prospect Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway is west of Lake George Village

Quote Originally Posted by username

what hike do you do?
    Not many ADK hikes have waterfall views. There are about 46 different hikes of big mountains you could do within an hour of Placid. It depends on if you want something right off the road or not. If you want something right off the road I woudl recommend Whiteface Mountain. It has great views of Lake Placid and Lake Clear from the top. You can also drive to the top. There is also Cascade Mountiain which starts right off Rt 73. You get awesome views of the Cascade Lakes, there are many views on the way up. Its not super difficult for a 4000+ ft high mountian and has amazing views from the top. Either mountain is within 30 minutes of Placid. You could also stop by the EMS right on the main drag in Placid, tell them what you are looking for and your hiking experiance. I am sure they can recommend something good.
    Good luck. I've hiked in the Adirondacks many a time as I am fairly local. ITs a great place to go.

Call it blasphemy, but it's entirely possible for me to like the Adirondacks enough to blow off Burlington altogether.

Or, does the rally have a day pass? I'll get a day return ticket on the ferry.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr
    Call it blasphemy, but it's entirely possible for me to like the Adirondacks enough to blow off Burlington altogether.

Or, does the rally have a day pass? I'll get a day return ticket on the ferry.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Fred

I don't know if I'd blow the whole rally off just to do hiking and sightseeing in the Adirondacks...
    I live near Lake George, Proposed to my wife in Lake Placid, have great friends in Saranac Lake. Absoultly love the area. But, I've never been to the MOA rally before. And with it so close this year I don't want to miss it entirely.

Someone correct me here. There is only one price for admission, if you stay a day or all four it does not matter...Right?

-Kutch

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutcher
    I don't know if I'd blow the whole rally off just to do hiking and sightseeing in the Adirondacks...
    I live near Lake George, Proposed to my wife in Lake Placid, have great friends in Saranac Lake. Absoultly love the area. But, I've never been to the MOA rally before. And with it so close this year I don't want to miss it entirely.

Someone correct me here. There is only one price for admission, if you stay a day or all four it does not matter...Right?

-Kutch
    Yup, just one price, no matter how long you stay. The Adk are beautiful, but within a short/great ride of the Rally, we have some great hikes right here in Vt. Ride up thru Smuggglers Notch, stop at the top of the notch, park, and hike either south to the top of Mt Mansfield, or north to the top of Madonna Peak and the Smugglers Notch ski area. Return and ride down thru the notch to Stowe for some great pizzia from the wood fire oven at Pie-in-the Sky.

Brian

TopGun

Binghamton to Adirondacks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr
    I've decided to go north from Harrisburg PA to Binghamton NY, then NY12 through Utica, then east through the Adirondacks and cross Lake Champlain via ferry into Burlington.

Can anyone suggest a state park campground with showers near restaurants or a town in the Adirondacks?

Thanks.

Fred
    Fred,
    Be sure to check for road closures due to recent flooding in the southern tier. I came through Walton on 206 the other day and it's been devastated. I'm not sure which roads are closed at points. I heard that roads through Franklin were still closed with detours through Delhi.
    Bill Hanna
    Syracuse, NY
    '05 K1200LT Graphite
    www.gunsnhoses.org

Rally Rat
    The Adirondack Mountain Club offers complete camping/leanto/B&B-type facilities at its Heart Lake property just east of Lake Placid off Route 73. Not only is this on the way to the ferries, it takes you across the most spectacular scenery in the state (mountain scenery, anyway). You can camp right at the base of Mount Marcy (Camping at Heart Lake) and have breakfast in the Loj.

I'm president of ADK, so I'm biased, but I'm sure anyone else who's been there will agree that this is probably THE top overnight spot (given your criteria) on your way to Burlington. Tell 'em I sent you.

See you at the rally.

Curt Miller
    BMWMOA #125912
    '06 1150GSA - "Orion"