Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I won't buy another modern BMW...

On the Road

Thumbs up Great bike!!!!

Sorry you feel that way. I have a 05, R 1200 RT and have 7200 miles on it. The more I ride it the more I love it. The bike is very impressive to ride. I have a good dealer in Chicago who takes care of me and the bike. The cycles gets better every year. You may want to look at a new one.
    CW, Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr
    Choke! Gasp! Bottom feeder?!

Fred
    '02 R1150R
    Relax, a comment on this GREAT bikes position in the pricing structure of BMW models and DEFINATELY NOT a comment on our great ride

steviewonder
    Harley Davidson has proved that you can sell a lot of relatively expensive bikes that are underperformers vis-a-vis the competition. But Harley has a reputation that appeals to wanna-be "bad" boys (and girls) and their mid-life crises.

We'll see who the marketing geniuses are, but IMHO a $20K bike that doesn't include a proper tool kit is going to be a tough sell in the long run. Right now it's a hot item because it's new but the styling is looking more and more like a Japanese bike and the once renowned durability/reliability is becoming more and more run-of-the-mill durability/reliability. I'm not sure BMW has a definable market niche other than guys with money and the lingering status of the Roundel.

Will they sell bikes? Sure ... if FIAT can sell cars, BMW can sell bikes. Will they maximize profits and grow their market share? Questionable; time will tell.

I recently bought a very low mileage (not any longer ... I doubled the miles on the bike in 3 weeks!) 2004 K1200GT. The price was nearly $10K less and while the new GT has superior performance, it's kind of like comparing a Porsche GT to a McLaren ... better peformance numbers for the McLaren, but is it worth the huge difference in price? I didn't think so ... and I think it's going to be harder for BMW to sell bikes that look a helluva lot like the competition, perform no better than the competition, are no more reliable than the competition and cost a LOT more than the competition with a dramatically thinner dealer network.

BMW seems to have developed an attitude of "build it and they will buy" that is also reflected in their automobiles while Lexus, Infiniti, Audi and even Cadillac have stunted their growth. Take out the MINI and the SUV's (excuuuuuse me ... SAV's) and BMW's sales figures in the USA are flat to down.
    Last edited by StevieWonder; 07-27-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka
    Relax, a comment on this GREAT bikes position in the pricing structure of BMW models and DEFINATELY NOT a comment on our great ride
    Yeah, I knew that, but if I hear one K1200R rider (and I ride with one) call me that, I'll know who started it!

Fred
    '02 R1150feedeR

The real person that coined the phrase will live in anonymity, were I so luck in relationship to the turn of phrase.

Retired and proud of it MOTORMAN's Avatar
    M1ka,

I tend to agree with you in the corporate mentality. I just see that particular mind set as traveling down a road with diminishing radius curves and not being able to slow ofr lean more. Eventually you drive off the road.

I have an example to counter yours. I went into a brand K shop about 3 weeks ago and saw a nice but scratched 01 K1200LT (or was it K1100LT I R cofoosed at times.) It has less than 20k miles and was on sale for 9k. I couldn't look too closely as it's a heavier bike than my back wants to deal with at least for now. I went bacdk to the shop the other day and the BMW was gone. In it's place on the floor was a new 06 Concourse (sp??) for under $8k. Since I am not really into bells and whistles I looked at it since no stereo is not a deal breaker for me by any means. The only problem with it was that it has a bent forward driving position wosre than my current K or I would have started talking deal right then and there.

The cost differential simply does not, to me seem justified, when I could buy 2 of brand k for less than one BMW of equivalent size. They really really need to look at this IMO. That niche, may shrink tremendously in the future. Keep in mind that although I drove a brand K for work for over a decade I've had a beemer for just over 3 decades. It might be high time to jump ship and look at equivalent bikes for grossly unequivalent dollars.

And while we're talking about price, how long can BMW continue to eat the exchange rate?
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Veg
    And while we're talking about price, how long can BMW continue to eat the exchange rate?
    Quite a while I would think. What they lose in exchange rate between the Euro and the US dollar, they make up for in the price they charge Canadian customers. After taking into account the US$-CDN$ exchange rate, on the 2006 K1200LT, our list price is $4,000.00 higher than the American price.

Yeah, I know there are other factors involved but it is still annoying to know that if I want that new bike, I have to pay almost 20% more because I live north of an arbitrary line on a map.
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ǣIf you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular! http://www.yearroundriders.com

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbagazoo
    Quite a while I would think. What they lose in exchange rate between the Euro and the US dollar, they make up for in the price they charge Canadian customers. After taking into account the US$-CDN$ exchange rate, on the 2006 K1200LT, our list price is $4,000.00 higher than the American price.

Yeah, I know there are other factors involved but it is still annoying to know that if I want that new bike, I have to pay almost 20% more because I live north of an arbitrary line on a map.
    hey man,
    it wasn't arbitrary.

in fact, if we'd gotten up to the 54th parallel, and hadnt been distracted by other things, you might be getting your bikes cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by username
    hey man,
    it wasn't arbitrary.

in fact, if we'd gotten up to the 54th parallel, and hadnt been distracted by other things, you might be getting your bikes cheaper!
    He lives in Rupert's Land. He's not getting his bikes cheaper..
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by username
    hey man,
    it wasn't arbitrary.

Thank goodness we didn't. Americans would have ruined BC.

Quote Originally Posted by CTHalk
    With just 43,000 miles on the clock, and 'dealer maintained', my 2000 R1100RT-P had shifting problems. So I prepared myself to do a spline lube. Took the tranny out. Egads, I don't need a spline lube. I need an output shaft! There are hardly any splines left! Other than that, it's a nice bike, lots of power, great brakes, good looks. But I don't want it any more. I'd trade it for a decent running R60/2. I'm going back to the dinosaur era where I belong......where I know what I have, and what it will give me. Hal in CT
    I think your recalling the old bikes with rose colored glasses. I recently had this conversation with Norman Jones of Engle Motors. Norman has owned this BMW shop since the 60s and is still very active in the business. Norman told me that the new BMWs are much more reliable than the older bikes.

We didn't have internet forums or large gatherings at rallys to hear others complain about problems with their bikes years ago. This forum is a great way to discuss and learn. However, any problem with a bike becomes magnified through the internet and we eventually start to question our own bikes or listen for problems that don't exist. Problems that are rare become common in the mind of owners.

Sometimes it's best of turn off the internet and just ride.
    Last edited by kenk; 07-28-2006 at 03:15 AM.

Hey, M1Ka if you are a bottom feeder on an R1150R what does that make me on a 99 R1100R, non abs? I guess I'm a sucker fish attached to the bottom feeder, or maybe an amoeba? I guess the next time I ride into a rally I should wear a paperbag over my head. I rode an R90/6 for many years and always enjoyed it. No spline failures, final drive failures etc. I thought it was a very reliable motorcycle. I found the current ride last april in the paper for 5K with about 16K on the clock, it was in pristine condition and that was about the limit on what I wanted to spend. So far so good but if I started having a lot of expensive problems I would dump the bike in a heartbeat, BMW or no. I like them a lot and have a bit of brand loyalty but there are some very nice alternatives out there. I know one thing, I never want to own a chain drive bike again for the kind of riding I like to do. I'm planning Pittsburgh to Albuquerque to Portland, Ore. then up into Canada and accross east back home next summer and I'll do it on the R1100R. no 20K R1200GT for me. Yup, I'm a bottom feeder

We are going to have to start a chartered club for the bottom feeders like us. When I bought my current Roadster new in '02 they had an abs model on the show room floor. I had them get me a non abs model. I have not been able to rack the mileage that I would like but do have 27K as of the last gas fill and have been coast to coast on it over that time. I'm a self employed working stiff at this time and would rather spend the difference between a basic Roadster and a K1200GT on purposefully wondering around.

With that said - for all riding new BMW hardware out there, take care, you may be ridding my next used bike

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla
    He lives in Rupert's Land. He's not getting his bikes cheaper..
    are you *sure?* i think he lives in edmonton.

Edmonton' latitude = 53?? 34' N

we'd have gotten him if we'd taken everything up to 54?? 40' N.

plus we'd be getting all that oil they've got up there. dang!