Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I won't buy another modern BMW...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    People can say what they want about Harley Davidson but I firmly believe that right now they are building bikes that are all as reliable as BMW. And they have a belt drive that I am told will last 100,000 miles. No lube required. Perhaps BMW needs to make all their bikes either chain or belt driven if they keep having spline issues. Or are they too proud to learn something from us Americans?

With that said, I haven't had any issues with failures of any sort on my 04 RT. 18000 miles of fun and it's never let me down. I hope that continues. I need that to continue, I keep telling my wife how reliable these BMW's are.

and she believes you?

I cut my losses TODAY.
    The RT is history and I'm an owner of a new Suzuki C90T.

I've dropped membership in BMWMOA and hope to, one day, get over the nightmares about spline replacement, dealers closing, expensive ABS maintenance, etc.

So, Bye. See ya' all. Enjoy your BMWs. For me, it was the worst, most expensive bike I ever dealt with and a continuing, expensive bad dream. I won't miss the POS for a minute.

Man, after reading all these post I'm afraid to leave for Vermont on my POS BMW. 72k in four years on two P'sOS and two headlight bulbs blown.I'd say my luck has run out.I think I should stay home and trade for a harley.I can change plans and go to Sturgis.
    Last edited by EDDIE; 07-12-2006 at 10:55 PM.

Hardly a Davidson

I've had three Hardly Davidsons and after my experiences, it would have been a pleasure to have a spline problem. Don't believe all the rhetoric Hardly Davidson tells you about their belt. That belt will split like a banana when a small rock is thrown between the belt and sprocket. I've seen it many times. Hardlys are probably the most mass produced bike on the planet and as a result poor in the area of reliability. Ask yourself why they give you a two year warranty and not three. They only recently went to a two year warranty. For years it was a one year warranty. They don't even offer ABS unless you get a police bike. I wish Hardly all the luck in the world, but their bikes are a casualty waiting to happen. Go ahead sell the BMWs and quit BMWMOA. You'll be back in a few years.

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Easy
    I wish Hardly all the luck in the world, but their bikes are a casualty waiting to happen.
    I beg to differ, maybe the same can be said of BMW. Reliability issues and dealer closures, they have their problems too.

Somehow I can picture carrying a spare belt if that is a concern. Much like some BMW riders carry a spare alternator belt. How many guys carry spare driveshafts and splines for their BMW's?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going anywhere. I love BMW and I am here to stay, unless I lose my local dealer. By local, I mean 235 miles away.

Let's quit slamming the other brands and just get along.

And RT Guy, sorry to hear you are leaving. Best of luck to ya.

Talking

67,000 miles and going strong. Of course, I could point out that my brother has 186,000 on his wing and going strong. The real thing for me is that my R1100 RT fits the type of riding I like to do. Good on the commute in tight traffic, nimble and fund on the twisties, and not too much vibration for a twin on long trips. The seat sucks, but really like the rest of the machine. Of course when I get too old to reliably put my feet down when I stop, I will probably by a Wing with those landing gear dealies that go down as you slow down to stop and keep the bike upright. Still better than having to move to a trike. That one is for when I need to carry lots of extra depends.

"Legendary" Reliability

'05 1200GS catches fire post dealer-service...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151276

Any bets on warranty rejection?
    Click here for Tales of Motorcycles and Life
    - BMW MOA Lifetime Member #18854

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by RT_guy
    I cut my losses TODAY.
    The RT is history and I'm an owner of a new Suzuki C90T.

I've dropped membership in BMWMOA and hope to, one day, get over the nightmares about spline replacement, dealers closing, expensive ABS maintenance, etc.

So, Bye. See ya' all. Enjoy your BMWs. For me, it was the worst, most expensive bike I ever dealt with and a continuing, expensive bad dream. I won't miss the POS for a minute.
    have fun with the new bike, and you know where to find us if you come back.

Sorry to see you go, RT_guy.

The people here are the same, so feel free to stick around, even if you don't have a BMW.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I'll be around awhile...

I think I'll be a BMW owner for awhile. It's nice having 2 motorcycles, completely paid for, that are serving my needs. But I also believe that modern day Harleys are very good motorcycles. Fit, finish, paint, and yes, reliability. Plus, the big twins are capable of 50+ MPG on the road. Valve adjustments? What valve adjustments?

I've got a Harley dealer within 2 miles of my house. I've also got a second Harley customization place that customizes as well as sells all manner of parts for Harleys within 2 miles of my house. If you're talking about old iron, it's much easier to find a mechanic that will work on old Harleys than one who will work on old BMW's. But, then again, that's why so many learn to work on BMW's themselves. Sometimes, that's the only choice. The good news is that information and parts are plentiful.

I've been saying for the past 3 years that I would really like a "modern" motorcycle. "Modern" meaning one that was built in the 21st centurty. I read these (and other) boards with great interest. I want to make a well-informed decision when I do pull the trigger on my next motorcycle. This is, after all, a BMW board. Perhaps the "ultimate" BMW board, because it's part of the BMWMOA. Therefore, you would come here to talk about your BMW motorcycle. You'll hear the good and the bad. About BMW motorcycles. You'll have to go elsewhere to hear the good and bad about Honda, Kawasaki, etc.

Despite what some would have you believe, we live in a marvelous time. There are so many great motorcycles out there, and BMW makes some of them. So does Honda. So does Harley-Davidson.

Good Luck to the gentleman who picked up the Suzi C90T. That's a nice cruiser set up with bags and shield ready for the road.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

'What if?'

I think an appropriate question for this thread would be, "if your new-ish BMW sh*t its splines at less than 30k, would you fix it and move on, or fix it, sell it, and buy Brand X?"

Just a thought.
    Jack Pate | '09G650GS | '95 R100RT | Previously: '00R1100R, '87K75T
    NW Arkansawyer |
    BMWMOA #125430 | Fraternal Order of the Mudshark (FOM #0001)

Quote Originally Posted by Troutluck
    I think an appropriate question for this thread would be, "if your new-ish BMW sh*t its splines at less than 30k, would you fix it and move on, or fix it, sell it, and buy Brand X?"

Just a thought.

Fix it and move on .. mind you I had a 2003 K1200GT and it was a bad bike I got a new 2004 from BMW as a gift or swap ??? it was starting to give the same troubles so I traded it and now have R1200GSA 2006 and I like it mind you I have only got 4,000 kilometers on it .. yes I am in Canada but. I also have a 93 R100GS bumble bee that has over 110,000 KMS and is going strong no troubles other than standard stuff like flat tyres and dead batteries etc.

A friend has a 90 something R100 GS PD with over 160,000 KMS and no trouble either and no real major work done.

I believe all bikes no matter what have their problems .. I like the ride and the stability of the modern BMW.

I did ride a Kawa ZZr1200 or what ever and after 60 miles in Oregon from Baker City to the turn off up to Joseph on HWay 86 I was extreemly happy to get off that bag of bolts.

Yes i rode a Harly once as well round the block and yes i own 8 other bikes as well
    Geoff May
    Cloverdale BC Canada

2006 R1200GS Adv
    1996 Triumph Sprint
    1993 R100GS
    1975 850 Norton Interstate
    1971 750 Norton Roadster
    1965 Honda 65
    1961 Ariel Golden Arrow
    1949 Ariel 350 Red Hunter

steviewonder
    Sure, I had to plan my stops ahead of time because of the poor brakes, and high speed (anything over 48mph) corners were exciting due to the gyrating it would do
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play ???

I repeat: a bike that has minimal braking (and they are ALL big) and marginal handling (built for straight line boulevard crusing) and establishes it's reputation based on being loud is not a trade up. I don't give two hoots in hell how reliable it might be. The Suzuki and other Japanese bikes may not have the mystique but they have a leg up in nearly every other facet of motorcycle metrics.
    Last edited by StevieWonder; 07-13-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Good luck with your new ride. No need to rant, just ride what you dig, dig what you ride.

Now if you said you sold your RT for 4 wheels, dem is fightin' words!

This thread has taken on the tone of a Saturday night BBQ where some one brings up that Bobby Joe and Billy Sue are have troubles in their marriage the talk goes on about what could be wrong. The fear and unasked question in the back of every couples mind is: Could this happen to us or are we okay? The conversation and the speculation go on.

What happened?

I hear she blew her splines.

Wasn‘«÷t she one of those fancy German touring girls with big jugs?

Yes but she was a police model before she met Bobby Joe. She was probably tough, but I heard rumors of abuse in her childhood that may have caused this.

Someone said they heard him say he wish he still had some girl he knew back in high school. Can‘«÷t remember her name S something or something S, don‘«÷t remember.

Well I think he should dump that German ‘«™and find a nice American girl. They may have broken down in the past when you asked them to plow a field but they have matured into dependable beauties for my taste‘«™(Smack as he gets hit in the head )‘«™ err honey I was talking about if I was Bobby Joe, I love you my cute little Beemer freuline.

I was talking to someone the other day. They said they were going to one of those psychologist doctors to see if they could make it work. Oh I hope they can.

Finally a party late-comer arrives and announces that Bobby Joe has in fact divorce the no go Billy Sue and wait till you hear this he is already remarried and wait till you hear this she‘«÷s one of those ‘«™imported brides‘«™I think her name is Suzi Ki‘«™you know they have strange names but they‘«™well you know‘«™and you know what else ‘«™ she‘«÷s a cruiser!

What!?!?!?!
    This is the end of the world as we know it.

Come on gang. Let‘«÷s quit anthropomorphizing this.

RT-randy I am sorry to hear your Beemer let you down. Even sorrier to hear you are dropping out of MOA. I am glad to hear you haven‘«÷t given up on bikes altogether and that you have a new ride.

Life is too short to buy the same bike twice. Sometimes the next bike isn‘«÷t a BMW the nice thing is when a Beemer finally is the next bike MOA welcomes you back.

Best of luck to you with the new bike. Have a new handle picked out or are you keeping your name?