• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why I won't buy another modern BMW...

67,000 miles and going strong. Of course, I could point out that my brother has 186,000 on his wing and going strong. The real thing for me is that my R1100 RT fits the type of riding I like to do. Good on the commute in tight traffic, nimble and fund on the twisties, and not too much vibration for a twin on long trips. The seat sucks, but really like the rest of the machine. Of course when I get too old to reliably put my feet down when I stop, I will probably by a Wing with those landing gear dealies that go down as you slow down to stop and keep the bike upright. Still better than having to move to a trike. That one is for when I need to carry lots of extra depends.

RT_guy said:
I cut my losses TODAY.
The RT is history and I'm an owner of a new Suzuki C90T.

I've dropped membership in BMWMOA and hope to, one day, get over the nightmares about spline replacement, dealers closing, expensive ABS maintenance, etc.

So, Bye. See ya' all. :wave Enjoy your BMWs. For me, it was the worst, most expensive bike I ever dealt with and a continuing, expensive bad dream. I won't miss the POS for a minute.

have fun with the new bike, and you know where to find us if you come back.

Sorry to see you go, RT_guy.

The people here are the same, so feel free to stick around, even if you don't have a BMW.

I'll be around awhile...

I think I'll be a BMW owner for awhile. It's nice having 2 motorcycles, completely paid for, that are serving my needs. But I also believe that modern day Harleys are very good motorcycles. Fit, finish, paint, and yes, reliability. Plus, the big twins are capable of 50+ MPG on the road. Valve adjustments? What valve adjustments? :stick

I've got a Harley dealer within 2 miles of my house. I've also got a second Harley customization place that customizes as well as sells all manner of parts for Harleys within 2 miles of my house. If you're talking about old iron, it's much easier to find a mechanic that will work on old Harleys than one who will work on old BMW's. But, then again, that's why so many learn to work on BMW's themselves. Sometimes, that's the only choice. The good news is that information and parts are plentiful.

I've been saying for the past 3 years that I would really like a "modern" motorcycle. "Modern" meaning one that was built in the 21st centurty. I read these (and other) boards with great interest. I want to make a well-informed decision when I do pull the trigger on my next motorcycle. This is, after all, a BMW board. Perhaps the "ultimate" BMW board, because it's part of the BMWMOA. Therefore, you would come here to talk about your BMW motorcycle. You'll hear the good and the bad. About BMW motorcycles. :german You'll have to go elsewhere to hear the good and bad about Honda, Kawasaki, etc.

Despite what some would have you believe, we live in a marvelous time. There are so many great motorcycles out there, and BMW makes some of them. So does Honda. So does Harley-Davidson.

Good Luck to the gentleman who picked up the Suzi C90T. That's a nice cruiser set up with bags and shield ready for the road. :wave

'What if?'

I think an appropriate question for this thread would be, "if your new-ish BMW sh*t its splines at less than 30k, would you fix it and move on, or fix it, sell it, and buy Brand X?"

Just a thought. :dunno

Troutluck said:
I think an appropriate question for this thread would be, "if your new-ish BMW sh*t its splines at less than 30k, would you fix it and move on, or fix it, sell it, and buy Brand X?"

Just a thought. :dunno

Fix it and move on .. mind you I had a 2003 K1200GT and it was a bad bike I got a new 2004 from BMW as a gift or swap ??? it was starting to give the same troubles so I traded it and now have R1200GSA 2006 and I like it mind you I have only got 4,000 kilometers on it .. yes I am in Canada but. I also have a 93 R100GS bumble bee that has over 110,000 KMS and is going strong no troubles other than standard stuff like flat tyres and dead batteries etc.

A friend has a 90 something R100 GS PD with over 160,000 KMS and no trouble either and no real major work done.

I believe all bikes no matter what have their problems .. I like the ride and the stability of the modern BMW.

I did ride a Kawa ZZr1200 or what ever and after 60 miles in Oregon from Baker City to the turn off up to Joseph on HWay 86 I was extreemly happy to get off that bag of bolts.

Yes i rode a Harly once as well round the block and yes i own 8 other bikes as well

Sure, I had to plan my stops ahead of time because of the poor brakes, and high speed (anything over 48mph) corners were exciting due to the gyrating it would do

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play ??? :jester

I repeat: a bike that has minimal braking (and they are ALL big) and marginal handling (built for straight line boulevard crusing) and establishes it's reputation based on being loud is not a trade up. I don't give two hoots in hell how reliable it might be. The Suzuki and other Japanese bikes may not have the mystique but they have a leg up in nearly every other facet of motorcycle metrics.

Last edited:
Good luck with your new ride. No need to rant, just ride what you dig, dig what you ride.

Now if you said you sold your RT for 4 wheels, dem is fightin' words!

This thread has taken on the tone of a Saturday night BBQ where some one brings up that Bobby Joe and Billy Sue are have troubles in their marriage the talk goes on about what could be wrong. The fear and unasked question in the back of every couples mind is: Could this happen to us or are we okay? The conversation and the speculation go on.

What happened?

I hear she blew her splines.

WasnÔÇÖt she one of those fancy German touring girls with big jugs?

Yes but she was a police model before she met Bobby Joe. She was probably tough, but I heard rumors of abuse in her childhood that may have caused this.

Someone said they heard him say he wish he still had some girl he knew back in high school. CanÔÇÖt remember her name S something or something S, donÔÇÖt remember.

Well I think he should dump that German and find a nice American girl. They may have broken down in the past when you asked them to plow a field but they have matured into dependable beauties for my taste(Smack as he gets hit in the head ) err honey I was talking about if I was Bobby Joe, I love you my cute little Beemer freuline.

I was talking to someone the other day. They said they were going to one of those psychologist doctors to see if they could make it work. Oh I hope they can.

Finally a party late-comer arrives and announces that Bobby Joe has in fact divorce the no go Billy Sue and wait till you hear this he is already remarried and wait till you hear this shes one of those imported bridesI think her name is Suzi Kiyou know they have strange names but theywell you knowand you know what else  shes a cruiser!

What!?!?!?!
This is the end of the world as we know it.

Come on gang. LetÔÇÖs quit anthropomorphizing this.

RT-randy I am sorry to hear your Beemer let you down. Even sorrier to hear you are dropping out of MOA. I am glad to hear you havenÔÇÖt given up on bikes altogether and that you have a new ride.

Life is too short to buy the same bike twice. Sometimes the next bike isnÔÇÖt a BMW the nice thing is when a Beemer finally is the next bike MOA welcomes you back.

Best of luck to you with the new bike. Have a new handle picked out or are you keeping your name? :stick

:wave

anthropomorphizing what?

Anthropomorphizing is exactly the point. Bikes like people all have their faults. No one brand or person is perfect. Getting rid of a bike because it broke is like getting rid of your kid because he wants to go to college. This is not to say that there are no lemons out there, or kids that don't need to go to reform school. Bikes, like people, break sometimes. If it is a matter of a lemon, style or just preference, I can understand. I hate to see anyone leaving BMW or MOA and would be the first to welcome him, or her, back. But just because the grass on the other side of the fence looks greener, doesn't mean it isn't grass.

Easy :german

Trouble with RTP

Your trouble with your R1100rtp may simply be due to the fact that it was used by law enforcement. Most of the guys using bmws for the first time in law enforcement have been coming off the Kawasakis and they are used to slipping a wet clutch. They tend to be very hard on clutches, rear ends and trannies. I have seen many new rtps up on the rack with a burnt up clutch, rear end, or transmission problems. You shouldn't experience the same problem. Your bike should be trouble free for many thousand miles unless you have the same riding style.
Bmw has gone so far as to hire a former CHP motor officer who travels around the state of california to instruct motor offficers on how to use the clutch, transmission on the new rts so this problem can be avoided.
The new R1200RTP has a very light weight clutch so this could be more of a problem yet in law enforement if they don't learn how to let the clutch out smoothly without slipping it.
:brow
Have fun and ride safe,

Steve

Bmw???

Guys, set aside the BMW QUALITY mindset and think about this...

The transmission is harsh and clunky.... hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
The final drive goes out too often... hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
It vibrates alot...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
It requires expensive service...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
The seat is uncomfortable...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
You can't get to the battery (RT)...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
You adjust the valves too often...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..
It's waaaaay expensive for what you get...hey, it's a whoa wait a minute,
why the hell should we have to live with it....

Just a thought for you Harley bashers.... I love my 04' RT, but let's get real, it's not the greatest thing in the world, not even as good as it used to be, but hey, it's a BMW I can live with it!!!! :brow

My Take on the Issues...

Not that you asked but (in red):

apopj said:
Guys, set aside the BMW QUALITY mindset and think about this...

The transmission is harsh and clunky.... hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Anything but. My Harley on the other hand...
The final drive goes out too often... hey, it's a BMW I can live with it..Really...other than a few models during a certain period, is this really true; IOWs, do statistics bear this out?
It vibrates alot...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Anything but. My Harley on the other hand...
It requires expensive service...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Seems on par with my Harley assuming you have the dealer service the bike at the recommended intervals.
The seat is uncomfortable...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Is there a stock seat by any manufacturer that makes a comfortable seat for everyone?
You can't get to the battery (RT)...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. Not an issue with my GS and on par with my Harley and Suzuki.
You adjust the valves too often...hey, it's a BMW I can live with it.. My Harley has one up on the Beemer here, but it's so easy to do this yourself during an oil change. Is this really an issue?
It's waaaaay expensive for what you get...hey, it's a whoa wait a minute,
why the hell should we have to live with it.... Oh I don't know, I think I must be the only person in the world that thinks that I got what I paid for and I'm actually happy. I work as hard as anyone for the money that I make but when I know what I want and determine that I can afford it and it provides the value that I desire, then I get it. My brother can't afford a GS so he got a V Strom. He's actually really happy with it. Heck I really like it but it isn't a GS. The GS is what I wanted for the capabilities that it has. No other bike had "it" for me. Of course I've had other V Strm and KTM owners go out of their way to prove to me that the GS is a lesser machine that costs way more. Oh well. As you say, IT'S A BMW I CAN LIVE WITH IT!!!.

Just a thought for you Harley bashers.... I love my 04' RT, but let's get real, it's not the greatest thing in the world, not even as good as it used to be, but hey, it's a BMW I can live with it!!!! :brow

Here's my thoughts on this string. I have ridden, Triumphs, cushmans, harley davidsons, (including a little two stroke) BSA, Honda, Kawasaki, and BMW's. I currently ride a 1999 R1100R that I bought used April, 2005 with 16K on the clock, now has 28K, no problems so far. I enjoy the kind of people I meet riding BMW's but also have friends that ride other brands, including Harleys. My brother in law just sold his 04 RT and bought a new Honda ST1300. It's a beautiful, high speed sport tourer with an upright riding position, great seat etc. etc. I would love to have one but will not put out 14K for a bike. I would love to have an R1200AGS but again will not put out the kind of money needed to buy one. Maybe in about 3 more years I'll find a good used one an if the price is right buy it. I'd love to have a ZX-10R in the barn, or maybe a Duc. What I do know is I had mechanical, ergonomic etc.,etc. issues with all my bikes. The used ZX-11 i owned at one time was a great sport tourer but second gear went at around 16K on the clock. I mean i could go on and on. Ride a bunch of bikes, find one that suites your needs and budget. buy it, expect to spend money on it getting to where you want it to be for your kind of riding, expect it to break occasionally, fix it or sell it and get another. Lifes to short, so deal with it. Ride safe!

Too bad...

Too bad about the splines. Sounds like what we have is an owner who has not heard about the years and years old spline issues. Also sounds like the dealer may have let him down by not making appropriate recommendations.

Given the glacial pace BMW usually takes with respect to fixing such problems - like spline fretting, perhaps MOA ought to put together an FAQ or "Archive of Wisdom" as some other brand specific sites have just to help newer owners who may not be -er - prepared for certain inevitabilities. And BMW is hardly the only bike to have spline lube issues. Honda's sweet old ST11 needs regular attention to the drive hub splines. Wise ST pilots replace the hub o-rings and regrease every tire change. Over at the FJR site, Dale "Warchild" Wilson has repeatedly demonstrated FJR's being delivered from the factory with dry and even lightly rusted splines.

Needless comment: not an anti-Harley guy, just a guy with zero interest in the Motor Companies offerings. Geez, Louise...is there ANYWHERE I can go in the bike world and not have to hear about Harleys? :banghead

I officially deny my own lack of interest statement with respect to the offerings of Buell :bolt

DocZ
MOA, Airheads, AMA Extra Mile, HSTA, Museum Supporter
'93 R100RT
'98 Honda ST1100

I'm surprised at the swap from an '04 1150RT to a Honda ST1300. I test drove both when I bought my '04 RT and the response, brakes and handling of the BMW were clearly superior. If the ST has ABS, the price is within a couple of hundred dollars and the RT has better historical resale value.

Just goes to show that it's about different strokes for different folks.

I read more BMW bashing on this forum than all media outlets put together.I'm supprised there is enough people still ridding BMW's to have a BMWMOA.Just don't try harley bashing here, they'll eat you alive.I have to wonder how many who have had problems are serviceing their bikes like they should.I had less problems with my hd's than alot of other riders I knew and alot of them did not stay up on maintance as I did. Something goes wrong then they want to blame hd.I had good luck with my shovelhead,serviced it every 10K and changed the oil every 2K.Only had to do one upper end in 36K,other guy's I know did 2 or 3 upper ends in the same miles. My 89 EVO ran 46K with hardly any trouble except 3 stators.The service on my 2 BMW's I've owned has cost me less than the hd's.For 16K I got 130HP,heated grips,heated seat,electric windshield,ABS brakes,cruise control,removeable luggage,great handling,and exceptional all day comfort.For 16K from hd I would have got a windshield and saddle bags and still have expensive service if I had it serviced.Of course I could buy a motor kit for another 4K and bump it up 20 HP.I suppose I could drag my feet and help it stop better.I'll stick with the BMW and take my chances,bash on.

BMW bashing

I've noticed that, too. If you want to see BMW bashing, try Motorcycle Online or any of a number of others. MCN's forum is so "HarleyCentric" that it needs to be renamed. The Vstrom and FJR Forums are refreshing devoid of such nonesense.

One possible explaination for Harley boosting here: 8-10 yrs ago, "ON" did a poll on the #2 brand owned by BMW folks. Harley. I kid thee not. I still don't believe it, but I suppose it could be true - they walk among us.

BMW shops and people CAN be a little like High End Audio shops and fans - a bit "exclusive", ie excluding. I've seen it too many times both as an object and sadly, I might add: object. Methinks that + BMW price = bashing. Just a suspicion.

I have no idea what to think but as an old band once sung (NRBQ???) "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me that have a frontal lobotomy!" :bottle

Back