Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why I won't buy another modern BMW...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CTHalk

Why I won't buy another modern BMW...

With just 43,000 miles on the clock, and 'dealer maintained', my 2000 R1100RT-P had shifting problems. So I prepared myself to do a spline lube. Took the tranny out. Egads, I don't need a spline lube. I need an output shaft! There are hardly any splines left! Other than that, it's a nice bike, lots of power, great brakes, good looks. But I don't want it any more. I'd trade it for a decent running R60/2. I'm going back to the dinosaur era where I belong......where I know what I have, and what it will give me. Hal in CT

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I wonder if part of that could be its past life as a police unit?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

75K on our RS and it's still strong.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

It's a free country. You are free to choose whatever bike you want. Even a Harley
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

pcsof8
    CtHalk, you sound like an good candidate for Airheads. Sorry about your woes friend. Hang in there.

Justpete
    A friend of mine just had his go at 12,000 miles on an 02 RT........ he's seriously thinking of selling it now.

Don't know about the /2, but the splines went on my 1976 R75/6 back in 1977 with less than 25k miles on the bike - stranded me 120 miles from the nearest dealer (naturally out of warranty as well).

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa

75K on our RS and it's still strong.
    I snapped a pic of Voni's odometer at the Branson Blitz,the reading was 315,000 plus,and Voni said there should've been another 8000 showing..
    Nose

Quote Originally Posted by Oznay
    I snapped a pic of Voni's odometer at the Branson Blitz,the reading was 315,000 plus,and Voni said there should've been another 8000 showing..

The oilheads seem to be pretty long lived.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I cut my losses TODAY.
    The RT is history and I'm an owner of a new Suzuki C90T.

I've dropped membership in BMWMOA and hope to, one day, get over the nightmares about spline replacement, dealers closing, expensive ABS maintenance, etc.

So, Bye. See ya' all. Enjoy your BMWs. For me, it was the worst, most expensive bike I ever dealt with and a continuing, expensive bad dream. I won't miss the POS for a minute.

Man, after reading all these post I'm afraid to leave for Vermont on my POS BMW. 72k in four years on two P'sOS and two headlight bulbs blown.I'd say my luck has run out.I think I should stay home and trade for a harley.I can change plans and go to Sturgis.
    Last edited by EDDIE; 07-12-2006 at 10:55 PM.

Hardly a Davidson

I've had three Hardly Davidsons and after my experiences, it would have been a pleasure to have a spline problem. Don't believe all the rhetoric Hardly Davidson tells you about their belt. That belt will split like a banana when a small rock is thrown between the belt and sprocket. I've seen it many times. Hardlys are probably the most mass produced bike on the planet and as a result poor in the area of reliability. Ask yourself why they give you a two year warranty and not three. They only recently went to a two year warranty. For years it was a one year warranty. They don't even offer ABS unless you get a police bike. I wish Hardly all the luck in the world, but their bikes are a casualty waiting to happen. Go ahead sell the BMWs and quit BMWMOA. You'll be back in a few years.

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Easy
    I wish Hardly all the luck in the world, but their bikes are a casualty waiting to happen.
    I beg to differ, maybe the same can be said of BMW. Reliability issues and dealer closures, they have their problems too.

Somehow I can picture carrying a spare belt if that is a concern. Much like some BMW riders carry a spare alternator belt. How many guys carry spare driveshafts and splines for their BMW's?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going anywhere. I love BMW and I am here to stay, unless I lose my local dealer. By local, I mean 235 miles away.

Let's quit slamming the other brands and just get along.

And RT Guy, sorry to hear you are leaving. Best of luck to ya.

Talking

67,000 miles and going strong. Of course, I could point out that my brother has 186,000 on his wing and going strong. The real thing for me is that my R1100 RT fits the type of riding I like to do. Good on the commute in tight traffic, nimble and fund on the twisties, and not too much vibration for a twin on long trips. The seat sucks, but really like the rest of the machine. Of course when I get too old to reliably put my feet down when I stop, I will probably by a Wing with those landing gear dealies that go down as you slow down to stop and keep the bike upright. Still better than having to move to a trike. That one is for when I need to carry lots of extra depends.

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by RT_guy
    I cut my losses TODAY.
    The RT is history and I'm an owner of a new Suzuki C90T.

I've dropped membership in BMWMOA and hope to, one day, get over the nightmares about spline replacement, dealers closing, expensive ABS maintenance, etc.

So, Bye. See ya' all. Enjoy your BMWs. For me, it was the worst, most expensive bike I ever dealt with and a continuing, expensive bad dream. I won't miss the POS for a minute.
    have fun with the new bike, and you know where to find us if you come back.