• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Unusual discovery

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
In a departure from my normal Monday morning routine I found a dead man on my way to work this morning.

I was dropping my son at school a little early this morning. As I approached the south (exit) driveway I noticed a motorcycle over the stone wall and the rider lying next to it. At first I thought that it was an interesting place to take a nap and that it was awfully careless to let the sidestand sink into the ground like that. I suppose I still have a little IB withdrawal going on because the more I looked the less it seemed plausible that he was sleeping.

I entered the school and dropped my son off at the front door. As I followed the driveway I crested the rise and was able to see the body stretched out in what looked like a natural sleeping position, sort of upside down yet on a side. As I approached I could see his hands and wrists were blue white. When I checked for a pulse I was taken with how cold his skin was, there was no point in trying too hard. I realize now that once I found no pulse I moved away, not even looking at his face or taking in enough to tell now how old he was, etc. I can only guess by my recollections of him and his bike that he was between 40-50 years old. There was a cell phone a few feet away on one side and a pair of glasses on the opposite side of him. He was not wearing a helmet which is against the law in Massachusetts. Later the police could not find a license plate on the bike. Some may think it was stolen, perhaps he lived just down the street and was taking it for a test run after doing some service work, who knows?

I went down to the school office and told them to call 911. Interestingly enough they commented that they saw the bike. From the lower level of the entrance I looked up and sure enough I could see the bike but not the rider. I returned to the rider and was soon joined by the head of the upper school. He also checked for a pulse and agreed that he was really dead. He then asked me if we were supposed to do CPR or other life saving measures and I replied that at his temp he likely crashed sometime in the night and had been there for a few hours.

We agreed that there was not much to be done and when he learned I was a parent we decided that he would go make sure the arriving children were sent directly inside and I would deal with the police. The first officer arrived shortly and trotted from his car to the body, he too found no pulse and he radioed to the other responding officers that fact. Soon there were plenty of LEOÔÇÖs along with the EMTÔÇÖs on scene. I watched as they patted down the body and removed his wallet. Without fanfare the officer found his license, and then he knelt down by the victim. He grabbed his head and rotated it so he could compare the face on the license to the face on the body. Then the cell phone started ringing and the officer commented that they would not answer it.

It was all a bit surreal, this time I was nothing other than another cage driving parent, one of hundreds that would be circulating through the parking lot this morning yet I was the one who found the body. As a rider I got chills as I was given a live performance of a play I donÔÇÖt ever want to star in. I realized how much better it made me feel that he was not wearing full gear, somehow having it be a ÔÇ£typical harley riderÔÇØ reinforced the fallacy that all gear, all the time somehow makes us ÔÇ£betterÔÇØ or somewhat at better odds of survival. This realization (of the realization if you catch my drift) made me feel worse; here was a guy who was never going to answer his phone again.

If there is any point to this I suppose it would be the simple fact that as motorcyclists we accept more risk than the average person. Along with this risk goes some responsibility to keep our wits about us because for the person who dialed that cell phone number this morning, their pain is just beginning and will go on for some time.

Best,

You were put in a situation the rest of us hope to never be in, but thanks for sharing the story, it never hurts to make someone stop and think about things like this, and how vulnerable we all are in this tiny world. Ride safe.

Sad. I don't know what to say.

Was there any obvious trauma? Perhaps he did stop to take a nap....

Rob, I feel for you, and having been in law enforcement for 8 years, I can understand the situation and how you must have felt. It could have been any number of things such as a heart attack, or seizure that caused him to be in that position. I commend you for stopping and attempting to render aid to your fellow man. So many people nowadays just go past, without a second thought, or dont want to get involved. We need more folks like you that care enough to help.

Unusual discovery, the obit

Sounds too much like many of the people I know here.

There are three crosses at the scene two small ones and a larger cross along with a bunch of flowers. Very sombering.

Be careful folks, or in the words of Director Mike Fridedle,

"Ride Fast Safely".

KENNETH W. THIBAULT - Westport
01:00 AM EDT on Wednesday, October 1, 2003
KENNETH W. THIBAULT, 40, of Old Bedford Road, died Monday near 1081 Tucker Rd., in Dartmouth, Mass., of injuries from a motorcycle accident that the police say is still under investigation.

He was the husband of Kelli A. (Barlow) Thibault. Born in Fall River, a son of Wilfred and Helen (Fontaine) Thibault of Fall River, he was a lifelong Westport resident. A graduate of Westport High School, he earned a bachelor's degree in marine mechanics from the New England Institute of Technology, in Warwick.

Mr. Thibault had been self-employed as a cable contractor with First Line Cable, of Bridgewater, Mass.

A drummer in local bands, he had played to help raise funds for the Spinal Cord Association and the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

He also had been active with the Westport boys' and girls' basketball leagues and the Babe Ruth baseball league.
Mr. Thibault was a communicant of Our Lady of Grace Church.

Besides his wife and his parents, he leaves a son, Alex Thibault, and a daughter, Aimee Thibault, both of Westport; a sister, Debra Ann Thibault of Providence; and several nieces and nephews.
A funeral Mass will be celebrated on Friday at 10 a.m. in Our Lady of Grace Church, Sanford Road. Burial will be in Beech Grove Cemetery.

It's nice to know you cared enough to stop and to render the
aid you were able to.

Thank you.

Ian

Manoman that's sad- sounds he was a good guy. I know if I had been you that day it would be playing hard in my mind for a while to come.
But you're a good guy too, for caring about a stranger's well-being even after it's too late for them to thank you.

I know you didn't post this to collect accolades, but I must echo the sentiment of the others and say Good On You for taking the time to stop and get involved. That is one indicator of cream versus skim IMHO.

I wish for more people to care for each other like you did for a total stranger. Good for you.
It is unfortunate that another biker lost his life and leaves a family behind, trying to get on with life.
We all should remember that life is too short not to enjoy it.
Please let's all stay safe.

Back