Thread: need help w/ valve stem

need help w/ valve stem

Last Wed. (07-05-06) Had my dealer install new rear tire, rode 170 miles over a couple of days, parked it friday went to use it Monday morning rear tire flat pumped it up with portable air pump, noticed air coming out of valve stem got new stem w/ tool at local chain auto parts store cahnged it. Air still pouring out of valve stem.. Any ideas.
    kWant to try to get it fixed ASAP as I am leaving Saturday morning on 8 day ride out to the midwest
    As it is monday, BMW dealer closed today. They are 50 miles away so I would like to fix it myself if at all possible.
    Thanks for any help
    Ride safe
    mark

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I moved this to the Gear section, a little more traffic for the question. Sorry, but I don't have an answer for you.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I would recommend removing the tire from the rim and checking the area where the stem mounts. You may find corrosion, dirt, or a small piece of the previous stem. Or you may find the new stem has a cut in it. Proceed accordingly.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

perhaps a dumb question...did you try to tighten the valve core? I have had that happen where the core was not tightened correctly and it worked loose resulting in a flat tyre.

If the leak is coming from between the base of the stem and the wheel itself, then the likely culprit is corrosion around the hole for the stem. The only way to remedy this is to remove the stem from the wheel and break down the bead to access the hole, which may then be cleaned up. Use a small wire brush to remove the corrosion and when you're satisfied with that, smear a very small amount of silicone grease over it to seal it up and prevent a recurrance.

I'm assuming that we're talking about a rubber stem here. If it's a metal stem, then it might be that the rubber grommet on the stem itself is the wrong size for the hole in the wheel. A tire shop should be able to get you the right one wiht no sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by det130
    Last Wed. (07-05-06) Had my dealer install new rear tire, rode 170 miles over a couple of days, parked it friday went to use it Monday morning rear tire flat pumped it up with portable air pump, noticed air coming out of valve stem got new stem w/ tool at local chain auto parts store cahnged it. Air still pouring out of valve stem.. Any ideas.
    kWant to try to get it fixed ASAP as I am leaving Saturday morning on 8 day ride out to the midwest
    As it is monday, BMW dealer closed today. They are 50 miles away so I would like to fix it myself if at all possible.
    Thanks for any help
    Ride safe
    mark
    What kinda bike ya talking about, Mark? I couldn't see anything in your profile.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.