• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Use of Kill Switch?

S

screwtop

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how many of you guys routinely use your kill switch to start and shut off you bikes? I have never used mine on the GS or the RS I had before, (just used the key) and never had any ignition problems. I've always thought the kill switch was there for emergency purposes only.

Anyway, I was out riding my HD, and my friend says that the proper starting procedure is to turn the key, and then click the kill switch to "run" and then hit the starter button. He said that if you are only using the key, it is analgous to throwing a breaker (physical disconnect) under load, rather than a simple switch and could harm the ignition system. Seems to make sense, but is it really necessary?

Thanks!

I always use the kill switch. Its just what I learned in the MSF course years ago and I just keep doing that.

Well, I'm not an HD mechanic -- not a BMW mechanic either -- but the kill switch is just another switch in line with the ignition switch.

I think the MSF recommends using the kill switch so you'll instinctively know where it is in an emergency, just like they tell you to practice your braking so you'll be able to do it in an emergency.

For the record, I use the kill switch occassionally, but not regularly. Sometimes it's easier to hit it with my thumb than to reach over to the key. I've never had any problems with either switch...

It is there to be used and works. The only point to really remember is to remember to turn it on before trying to start the bike otherwise you will wear that battery down trying...lol

In 35 years of riding, I can count the times I've used the kill switch on one hand.

Always use the switch. I never use the key. Sometimes I use the sidestand. To my understanding the kill switch and the sidestand stop the fuel pump. The key turns off the electrics.

I use the kill switch and sometimes the side stand. Why? I don't have a clue, nor do I know why I started doing it. But for me now its habit, just like when I get into a cage, first thing I reach for is the seat belt. Only thing is, I know why I use the seat belt. :D

Dave

On the R1200C, I use the kick stand to kill the engine. On the HD, I use the kill switch before I deploy the kick stand...

Funny this thread just came up, my 16 year old son just completed his MSF Rider Course last night. He told me the instructor taught them to always use the kill switch. He said the reasoning behind it is so that you never remove the hands from the handlbars until the engine is dead. It prevents lurches if the clutch is released while in gear. Sorry, but I am teaching him otherwise. Like putting the bike in neutral before shutting it off. And then using the key.

Like putting the bike in neutral before shutting it off

You put your bike in neutral before shutting it off? Easy way to have it roll off the sidestand on a slight incline.

Oh yeah, the kill switch is very handy for shutting the bike off quickly after falling over in sand. I know this from personal experience. :thumb

Kill Switch

I'm with Kbasa and BradfordBenn on this one. I never use the kill switch unless I'm parking at a very steep incline or decline, and only then so I don't have to take my right hand off the grip. I've never had a problem.

Easy :german

As indicated earlier the MSF advocates use of the kill switch all the time to get you used to using it. The idea is that in an emergency access of the kill switch will be easier.

Having said that, my practice is to periodically check the functionality of the kill switch and to clean all of the switches with some WD-40 and/or contact cleaner. (Some folks don't like the use of WD-40 to clean the switches.)

I do not use the kill switch to stop the bike. I use the ignition switch - then I remove the key and put it in my pocket.

When I was much younger I did sometimes use the kill switch on my Honda dirt bike to stop the engine (if it was still running) after crashing. Happily it has been a good little while since I've crashed. I didn't practice use of the kill switch when I had the Honda dirt bike, but I was able to find it easily.

In an emergency I'm more likely to want to find the brake levers and horn button than the kill switch. Usually I find the brakes and end up hollering inside my helmet. I confess to sometimes having muderous thoughts (briefly!), but have never considered resorting to a kill switch.
:D

Thanks all

Well, thank you all for the replies! Now I have one less thing to loose sleep over. I'll just use the damn key like I always have.

I use the kill switch on my boxer to shut off the headlight. Wired the kill switch in the headlight to kill my lo beam. Wired the kill part straight threw.

Happened one time!! Maybe never again???

While touring western states with brother-in-law. we stopped at one of the scenic Grand Canyon overlooks. Ready to leave & his Beemer would not start; we lost 3 hours trying to locate the electrical problem; then with everything else ruled out, we discovered that the kill switch (I didn't realize that he had been using it for years) had gone bad. Took it out of the system (wired direct);and the bike fired right up......No more kill switch & no more problems!!!
It's still wired direct.

Back