Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of Kill Switch?

screwtop

Use of Kill Switch?

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how many of you guys routinely use your kill switch to start and shut off you bikes? I have never used mine on the GS or the RS I had before, (just used the key) and never had any ignition problems. I've always thought the kill switch was there for emergency purposes only.

Anyway, I was out riding my HD, and my friend says that the proper starting procedure is to turn the key, and then click the kill switch to "run" and then hit the starter button. He said that if you are only using the key, it is analgous to throwing a breaker (physical disconnect) under load, rather than a simple switch and could harm the ignition system. Seems to make sense, but is it really necessary?

Thanks!

I always use the kill switch. Its just what I learned in the MSF course years ago and I just keep doing that.

Well, I'm not an HD mechanic -- not a BMW mechanic either -- but the kill switch is just another switch in line with the ignition switch.

I think the MSF recommends using the kill switch so you'll instinctively know where it is in an emergency, just like they tell you to practice your braking so you'll be able to do it in an emergency.

For the record, I use the kill switch occassionally, but not regularly. Sometimes it's easier to hit it with my thumb than to reach over to the key. I've never had any problems with either switch...
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

It is there to be used and works. The only point to really remember is to remember to turn it on before trying to start the bike otherwise you will wear that battery down trying...lol

Kill Switch

I always use my kill switch...No particular reason I just use it....

In 35 years of riding, I can count the times I've used the kill switch on one hand.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

belquar
    Always use the switch. I never use the key. Sometimes I use the sidestand. To my understanding the kill switch and the sidestand stop the fuel pump. The key turns off the electrics.

Luckies
    I use the kill switch and sometimes the side stand. Why? I don't have a clue, nor do I know why I started doing it. But for me now its habit, just like when I get into a cage, first thing I reach for is the seat belt. Only thing is, I know why I use the seat belt.

Dave

R4RandR
    These bikes have a kill switch?

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I use the key on the BMW, the Run/Off switch on the VFR.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    In 35 years of riding, I can count the times I've used the kill switch on one hand.
    Me, too, and it's never broken, either.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris
    Me, too, and it's never broken, either.

Bingo.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Scootertrash
    On the R1200C, I use the kick stand to kill the engine. On the HD, I use the kill switch before I deploy the kick stand...

Funny this thread just came up, my 16 year old son just completed his MSF Rider Course last night. He told me the instructor taught them to always use the kill switch. He said the reasoning behind it is so that you never remove the hands from the handlbars until the engine is dead. It prevents lurches if the clutch is released while in gear. Sorry, but I am teaching him otherwise. Like putting the bike in neutral before shutting it off. And then using the key.

Like putting the bike in neutral before shutting it off
    You put your bike in neutral before shutting it off? Easy way to have it roll off the sidestand on a slight incline.

Oh yeah, the kill switch is very handy for shutting the bike off quickly after falling over in sand. I know this from personal experience.