Thread: Border Crossing in VT

Thor Taggart

Question Border Crossing in VT

Hello all

I'll be CCing in a couple weeks, RI to WA to CA to AZ. The first leg will take me around the north shore of Lake Ontario: any suggestions on a nice quiet place to cross the US/CAN border in Vermont? Just as soon leave the "probing" to my girlfriend...

regards

Thor

Easy Crossing

The easiest crossing I ever made was Rte 10 in VT to Rte 237 Quebec. If you take Rte 10 north from VT Rte 100 it's a cool ride thru Smugglers Notch. Remember to slow down!

Mile Instruction
    0.0 Depart SR-100, Stowe, VT on SR-100 [Main St]
    0.1 Turn RIGHT (North) onto SR-10 [Mountain Rd]
    37.2 Continue (North) on SR-105 [Main St]
    37.7 Bear LEFT (North) onto SR-10 [W Berkshire St]
    45.6 Arrive HWY-237, Frelighsburg QC

SUMMARY
    Driving distance: 45.6 miles
    Driving time: 1 hour, 19 minutes

MarkF

NOTE: On MS S&T the map shows it as both 10 and Rte 108. You better check for yourself to be sure.
    Last edited by MarkF; 09-30-2003 at 04:48 AM.

Opps- Check that rte number, I grew up north of Stowe, believe the "Mountain Road" is route 108. You're talking about the one that goes over to Jeffersonville, right? (comes out at Janna'a Cupboard restaurant?).

If you want to add a nice set of twisties to the ride, take a right on 105 in Enosburg(?), and follow that up to Richford, then over the mountains to North Troy. You could spend a long time riding up around Jay Peak, or just cross the border at N. Troy, which is also a pretty quiet crossing. Couple hours out of your way, but the riding is really great.

Better dress warm, too- two weeks from now it'll be freezin' up there, especially in the mornings. I'm jealous...

When I was a kid, we would usually get waved through the border, rarely even questioned or asked for ID. My buddies that are still up there tell me that things are considerably stricter now. Best thing to do is be nice, answer their questions politely, and have your driver's license ready.
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

I've been across the border into the US from Canada and back several times in the last two years. There is really no hassle getting across in either direction as long as you play by the rules. Just answer the questions you're asked, provide valid ID (a Passport is the best choice), and don't bring along anything that you shouldn't have with you. I have crossed both at small inconsequential crossing points and the large and busy major ones. The major ones will be more likely to have line ups, but other than that they don't make the crossing any more arduous.

Just plan you route for its own merits and don't sweat the border point.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

Non relevent

In the late eightys on our way out of the way way to the Big Rally in Lake Placid the S/O and I traveled to Niagra Falls. Crossing the border from NY to Ont was a snap. We spent three days in Canada going around the Gaspe Penninsula and back down through NB to N. Maine to visit Loring AFB where I was stationed in the early seventies. We crossed back into the US at St Leonard NB/ Van Buren Maine. The Canadian thing was again a snap. When we got to the US border. the Customs man was very polite and friendly, after answering his questions he made us pull under a shed and strip the bike , saddle bags, tank bag, and duffle bag strapped to the rear rack. With everything spread on the ground, and after rummaging through our dirty laundry. the inspector said " I guess you really don't have any contraband!" What a pain. he never asked for any paperwork on the bike or anything else. Thanks Maine and the US Customs Service for the fond memory.
    I have met the enemy, and he is us
    2011 R 1200 RT

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I get hassled every time I go through the border at Sarnia Ont. It never fails that I have to go to immigration and get the 3rd Degree. Guess I should stop giving the border people the finger all the time eh?
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Subzero Scooter Idiot oldcarkook's Avatar
    Smuggler's is great. I took this going through in August 2000 about 6 in the morning. The place was wet with dew and just beautiful.

Here's the border:

And it IS Route 108
    Last edited by oldcarkook; 10-11-2003 at 04:04 AM.

Awesome pix!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Originally posted by oldcarkook
    Here's the border:

And it IS Route 108
    Yep, been there. Nice pics.

MarkF

Subzero Scooter Idiot oldcarkook's Avatar
    Don't forget that the center picture is TWO WAY traffic. Just gets a bit tight at the top with all the big boulders
    Experience is the comb that mother nature gives us when we are bald