• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

help with route through Pa and NY

U

Unregistered

I am headed up to the rally on Monday morning from Richmond, Va. I am not familiar with the roads in Pa and NY but picked a route anyway. I would like some advice about what I have picked. Here goes: Rt 15 to Gettysburg, Rt 30 to Lancaster, Rt 222 to Allentown, Rt. 33 to Rt 209 I-87. I am planning on stopping one or more times on the way and would like to get there on Wednesday afternoon. I don't like interstates but figured I-87 would be ok because it passes through some nice country. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unregistered said:
Rt 209 I-87. I am planning on stopping one or more times on the way and would like to get there on Wednesday afternoon. I don't like interstates but figured I-87 would be ok because it passes through some nice country. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Route 209 out of Port Jervis to Kingston, NY is a dull road, many stop lights, few places to pass. I87 is your average slab highway. I'd avoid both as much as possible.

If I were not pressed for time, I'd take 209 from Matamoras to Port Jervis and catch Rt 42 up into Catskill Park at West Shokan. If you want to get to I87 make a right on 28A (which, by the way, is a great road and worth taking even if you back track) and follow to 28 to Kingston and Thuway. Otherwise 28A to 28 toward Phoenicia then 214 to 23A and Catskill, cross the Rip Van Winkle Bridge hook up with 22. Follow 22 to 7 near Hoosick.

At this point, I'm outside my old haunts so look at a map... :D I'd probably catch 7A through Shaftsbury State Park (got a map, right?). Before Manchester (7A goes through, becomes main street I think) catch Rt 7 or Rt 30 and go North to Middlebury.

Now I'd be really good and lost :nyah so I'd pick up from Rt 22 Mike Cousino's route somewhere in Vergennes.

- Ross

There is a good thread on routes and road conditions. Go to the thread Pennsylvania travel tread!

Here is my planned route. I will take I-81 north past Harrisburg, PA and then the following:

1. Rt 125 from Pine Grove, PA to Shamokin
2. Rt 487 to Red Rock, PA
3. Rt 118 east the north on Rt 29 to Tunkhannock, PA
4. Rt 92 north to NY Rt 17 east
5. Rt 10 to NY Rt 8 east to Ticgonderoga then over into Vermont

Hope to see you on the road. Be safe!

route to Vermont

Thanks to both of you for the comments. That is exactly what I needed to know. Since I have plenty of time I will stay off of the Interstate as much as possible and follow your suggestions. Yes, I have a map but it sure doesn't tell you much about what the roads are really like.

My Dad and Sister are rolling out of Fairfax VA. I don't think they are leaving until Tuesday but first day gets them to Stroudsburg PA area. My sister is a new rider and they are planning on secondary roads the whole day. Taking their time getting there. Similar route to that area. I am leaving Jersey on Wednesday morning at 0530 and meeting them around Ft. Montgomery NY. We are planning to have breakfast in that area and then run the Taconic up towards Albany...scenic but slabbish....From there we are going to sidestep over towards Pittsfield Mass and then run back roads. Once in VT we are Rt. 100 all the way to the rally area.

Never run any of it. So it is are tenative route subject to change depending on road and rider conditions.

Hope to see ya out there. Have fun. If we don't see you on the road we will see you at registration Thursday morning.

Brian

Belquar said:
My Dad and Sister are rolling out of Fairfax VA. I don't think they are leaving until Tuesday but first day gets them to Stroudsburg PA area. My sister is a new rider and they are planning on secondary roads the whole day. Taking their time getting there. Similar route to that area. I am leaving Jersey on Wednesday morning at 0530 and meeting them around Ft. Montgomery NY. We are planning to have breakfast in that area and then run the Taconic up towards Albany...scenic but slabbish....From there we are going to sidestep over towards Pittsfield Mass and then run back roads. Once in VT we are Rt. 100 all the way to the rally area.

Never run any of it. So it is are tenative route subject to change depending on road and rider conditions.

Hope to see ya out there. Have fun. If we don't see you on the road we will see you at registration Thursday morning.

Brian

I have heard that Route 100 is a must go road. I think I will make it over there and use it for part of my trip. I will be riding a Blue FJR. Maybe we will bump into each other. Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Dan

route to rally Rt 7 vs. Rt 100

Can anyone tell me about the differences between Rt 7 and 100. Rt 7 is more in line with my route and was wondering if it is worth going over to 100 instead.
Thanks - sorry lots of questions but I want to make the most of it.

Here is the route we took last year heading from Zions Crossroads (where Rt. 64 & Rt. 15 meet) up to Vermont on our way to Nova Scotia...

Rt. 15 to Rt. 231 (231 is one of my favorite local roads), follow that up to Rt. 522 and take that into PA.

Take Rt. 641 East a little ways to Rt. 75 and pick up Rt. 274 to Rt. 34 - follow that until to reach Rts. 11/15 - then take the Millersburg Ferry over the Susquehanna River...

http://www.millersburg.com/attractions/ferry.html
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/RMH/MineSweep2005/NS-PA-Ferry-12.jpg
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/RMH/MineSweep2005/NS-PA-Ferry-19.jpg

We then followed Rt. 209 up to Port Jarvis - since I have family in the area, we stayed near Middletown for the night, then we took Rt. 6 over the Hudson River and picked up the Taconic Parkway. We took that to its end at Chatham - took Rt. 90 to Rt. 22 up to Hoosick where we picked up Rt. 7. (note - we took 7A thinking it would be nicer, but 7 was just as scenic, but skipped the little stop and go towns - your call if you like little towns with 25 MPH limits) to Rutland VT. Jumped on Rt. 4 for a little ways to pick up Rt. 100 where we picked up Rt. 89 and turned East.

All of these roads were good rides - Rt. 209 after the ferry ride was a little too small town for me - but still a good ride.

This year we are heading out this Sat. (15th) and going a little more West into PA. - then to Watkins Glen, and up through the Adirondacks to the rally. Should be fun.

See y'all there - I'll be the gray V-Strom riding with a 1150 GS.

Take care,
Bob S.

Try to avoid Rt 222. It is very slow going through the Reading area.

222 is open from Lancaster to north of Reading as a limited expressway, the construction is complete. From north of Reading to south of Allentown it is two lane. Rambling rebel

Difference

Unregistered said:
Can anyone tell me about the differences between Rt 7 and 100. Rt 7 is more in line with my route and was wondering if it is worth going over to 100 instead.
Rt 7 has great views of mountains and Lake Champlain north of Vergennes. Rt. 100 has more curves and fewer lights.

South Burlington

Route to the Rally

Another North south Route to consider instead of the often suggested Rt 100 or Rt. 7 is Rt. 22 that hugs the NY, CT, MA and VT border. In Granville, NY catch RT 22A and head up the east side of Lake Champlain and avoid all the Rt 7 traffic. Rt. 22A merges with Rt. 7 north of Vergennes, VT. Then continue into Burlington. Breathtaking scenic view of the Greens and the Adirondack on the way.

Unregistered said:

Route 100 wends its way up what is essentially a central valley between two ranges. It's full of nice sweepers, beautiful scenery and little traffic. Route 7 is the more trafficed route and it runs up a fairly flat area.

I'll be headed up 100. :thumb

NY routes

Unregistered said:
I am headed up to the rally on Monday morning from Richmond, Va. I am not familiar with the roads in Pa and NY but picked a route anyway. I would like some advice about what I have picked. Here goes: Rt 15 to Gettysburg, Rt 30 to Lancaster, Rt 222 to Allentown, Rt. 33 to Rt 209 I-87. I am planning on stopping one or more times on the way and would like to get there on Wednesday afternoon. I don't like interstates but figured I-87 would be ok because it passes through some nice country. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'll offer these only because I've travelled them many times and I think the Adirondacks are great riding. From Binghamton, NY/ NY12 north to 28, 28 to 30, 30 to 3, 3 to Hwy 86, 86 to 9N at Jay, which brings you to the Port Kent/Burlington Ferry across Lake Champlain. Just check the times of the last ferry crossing, last time up there, we barely made the last ride. It's a long way around the north end of the lake! I did 200 miles in the Adirondacks over the weekend and it was fantastic!

My route from Easton PA

I've been watching all the route posts and suggestion and the choices are staggering. I've spent the last couple of nights pouring over maps and routing software.. planning and revising and revising again... And this is what I came up with...

Leaving from Easton, PA I'll pickup PA 191 N, to Analomink, PA where I'm going to jump on PA 447 N, for awhile and then back onto PA 191 N, (just north of Haag Mill, PA.) I'll stay on PA 191 N, to Hancock, NY. then jump on NY 17 E, to NY 30 N, to NY 8 E, to Hague, NY where I'll get on 9n N, to 903 E, cross the lake Champlain Bridge at Chimney Point and head East on NH 17 to NH 166 N, to 2A and into Essex Junction.

This will be a full day of riding but I plan on leaving around 6AM on Wednesday and have the time to roam around.. Besides it keeps me off the superslabs..

If anyone has and input on my choice of roads please let me know..

NY/PA roads

stealthrider said:
I've been watching all the route posts and suggestion and the choices are staggering. I've spent the last couple of nights pouring over maps and routing software.. planning and revising and revising again... And this is what I came up with...

Leaving from Easton, PA I'll pickup PA 191 N, to Analomink, PA where I'm going to jump on PA 447 N, for awhile and then back onto PA 191 N, (just north of Haag Mill, PA.) I'll stay on PA 191 N, to Hancock, NY. then jump on NY 17 E, to NY 30 N, to NY 8 E, to Hague, NY where I'll get on 9n N, to 903 E, cross the lake Champlain Bridge at Chimney Point and head East on NH 17 to NH 166 N, to 2A and into Essex Junction.

This will be a full day of riding but I plan on leaving around 6AM on Wednesday and have the time to roam around.. Besides it keeps me off the superslabs....

Sounds like a great route. I did 300 miles from Syracuse to Roscoe (and back)last Friday and I would check to make sure the roads in the southern tier of NY and northern PA are open and p[assable after last week's floods. I know 17 is open, but Hancock and that area got a lot of water and the edges of many of those roads are buckled in many, many spots. My concern would be PA 191, and 30 coming out of Hancock. Walton, which is 5-10 miles north of SR30 above Hancock, was devastated with waterlines on the buildings about 6 feet in some places. Trash has been set out everywhere as they dump everything. 1/2 the bridge on 206 is gone. Oddly enough, even though we're within 125-150 miles of there, the news coverage on road closings is absent. Here's a link with some info, although you may click around from there and find more. Happy riding. http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060711/NEWS01/607110327/1001

Bill thanks for the info... I'll try to check the road conditions...
thanks again..

NY roads

This is what I've found so far;
http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060711/NEWS01/607110327/1001

If you click some of the links from that page, you may find more. The information has been sorely lacking. The bridge across the Delaware at Downsville and NY17 has been closed for some time (unrelated to the flood). I think Hancock received some road damage although I didn't pass through there on my jaunt. NY205 in Franklin is closed, I believe, with a detour to Delhi. Walton is a mess, 1/2 the 206 bridge is gone. A bridge on I-88 at Unadilla is gone. I'm going to poke around to try to find a local link to road damage in that area.

I just checked the NY DOT web site and they don't list any closing on my route.. So either I'm lucky or I'll be surprised..
PaDOT does list a detour on 191 but it doesn't appear to be that big..

Up the Hudson River Valley?

My beautiful wife and I :hug will be riding up to the rally from Washington DC on Wednesday and Thursday. We were planning on spending Friday night somewhere near Hyde Park, NY, then riding up NY 9, 9G, etc. eventually making our way over to VT 100 and up to the rally.

Going up the Hudson forces us to head easterly, near the Baltimore/Philadelphia/NYC corridor. Is this just a bad idea?

Any suggestions for non-slab routes from DC to the Hudson River Valley?

Back