Thread: Handle Bar Vibration

12BSWAYED

Handle Bar Vibration

Greeting everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I realize this may have been well covered ground, but I have a question about my 1995 K1100RS.

I've had my bike just over a year, and I've noticed a vibration in the handle bars at or about 60 mph. It goes away at 65-70 mph. My mechanic told me there is no fix for this problem that he is aware of and that it is a problem that has plagued these bikes. I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this problem and what if anything you've done to correct or reduce it. It's quiet anoying, and at times had put my throttle hand to sleep.

To my knowledge, the previous owner has not shimmed the handle bars or done anything else to the bars. They are the original RS bars, not the C bar. Millage on the bike is 24K. It's never been crashed and the tires were replaced last year so I know the wheels are good.

Thanks,
    Laurie

Go faster?

If that's not an option..

If you don't have heated grips - bar end weights can sometimes be used to tune away vibration. You want ones that have a semi-flexible mount like the BMW ones so the weight is a bit isolated from the bar (usually by some rubber damping).

If you don't have heated grips and already have bar-end weights - people have reported some success with "bar-snakes" - lead-shot filled things you snake into your bars. The lead-shot absorbs the vibes..

If you do have heated grips - then your options are a bit more limited..

If you look at: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=32&fg=05 - look at PN4.. this is a rubber mount the bar mounts use to attach to the top triple-clamp.

This can get old and hard - allowing more vibration through to be bars, or it can be too loose. First step is replacing them (there are 2) - if that doesn't do it - you can tune it a bit by adding washers underneath it to compress it a bit more. These washers would go above PN-5, and should have a center hole large enough to go over the mount shaft (you'll see what I mean when you take it apart..)

HTH - some vibrations are always going to be there.. and if they are really bothersome to you - gel-palm gloves help as will new or different types of handgrips (a bit of a PITA with heated grips..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Airborne Aviator USA Ret.

Exclamation vibration

I realize this is a different bike, but this is my experience for what it is worth.
    I own a 2003 K 1200 LTE. Two years ago prior to a trip to the Maritimes I experinenced a severe vibration with my hands off the grips at 40mph.

2000+ miles later I was looking ofr a new front tire in Newfounland. Good luck huh.. I was riding a bridgestone Battleax and experienced a belt shift.

Check you tires is all I can say. Sometimes the weight of the bike does not meet the rating of the tire.

Safe riding.

KennyD

Try some handgrip cushions, they slide over your handle bars.

Run the RPMs a bit higher. That engine's smooth sweet spot is from 6500 to 7000 rpm. Don't lug it.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool

12BSWAYED
    Thanks everyone...going faster is what I have been doing, whenever possible.

I will re-check the front tire and wheel.

The web site you gave me Don looks promissing. My mechanic gave me a different bar end, an original one. A bob's wrist rest is on there now. When I take it off, I'll be able to see if thoes vibration dampeners are on there or not. When I went to the dealer yesterday, one of the guys suggested the lead snake, and BB's poured into the handle bars. I'm reluctant to do that tho..the BB's that is..

Burnzilla...guess I'll finding that sweet spot...maybe running in 4th gear to get the RPM's up. Do your K75's experience the same problem?

Thanks again!
    Laurie

Hey Burnzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla
    Run the RPMs a bit higher. That engine's smooth sweet spot is from 6500 to 7000 rpm. Don't lug it.
    My K1100 runs 70 mph at 4,000 rpm, What is your K75 turning at 70 mph, 5500 rpm?