• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Emergency Contact Number?

ptero

Midwest Command
The FAQ for the rally references that there will be an emergency number, but it was not yet determined when the FAQ was published.

The FAQ makes it clear that this will only be in place for the actual duration of the rally and will be intended for true emergency use.

Does anyone know the number yet?

thanks... :wave

EmergencyDepartment and Level I Trauma Center in BURLINGTON

1-802-847-2434.

is the Emergency Department and Level I Trauma Center in BURLINGTON

Not sure if that is the number you are looking for but I have already loaded it in my cell phone.

PAULBACH said:
1-802-847-2434.

is the Emergency Department and Level I Trauma Center in BURLINGTON

Not sure if that is the number you are looking for but I have already loaded it in my cell phone.

That's a help. Thanks. I'll note that.

but: the FAQ seemed to indicate that there would be a number for emerg contact to the site. I took it to mean a way for emergency contacts to be accomplished to/through the rally operators onsite.

For one thing, it would be a way for a family 'back home' to get in touch with an individual given some family emergency. Sure, a cellphone likely covers that for the most part these days. Just looking for a way to back that up. I hope that makes sense.

Greetings,

The following information plus my cell phone number will be published in the rally program.

Communications (manned during the day only)
802 878 3398

First Responders (Medical Emergency)
Office 802 879 3412
Cell (24hrs) 802 363 6352

Rally Rescue:
802 878 3398

The Champlain Valley Exposition is a licensed First Responder Site. As such they have fully trained medical staff on site 24 hrs per day. Our First Aid Chair, Chuck Clapham will be coordinating activity with them. If you have or see an injury on site you can call it in with a cell phone to the First Responders. Please do not have outside parties call them looking to leave you messages as they will not take them.

Note that communications and Rally Rescue share the same phone number. This is answered when communications is manned which is during the day. For after hours emergencies 911 is your answer or calling my cell phone in the most extreme case. There is no guarantee that at 03:00 you will get a response.

Best,

robnye said:
Greetings,

The following information plus my cell phone number will be published in the rally program.

(snip)

Best,

That's it. Thanks for the quick answer. Is this a great place or what?

May none of us need any of this information...

Thank you so much, Rob,

reid :type

Also you can leave a message with the MOA message board.

1-800-4-BMWMOA

Leave that number with folks while you are on the road and you can check in for messages.

HTH
Brian

Contact number

The 802-878-3398 number is helpful during the day, is there any way for someone to get ahold of me (from home) if there is an emergency at home, Is that service only available before 5pm or so? thanks!! Dave, Marcellus NY

Unregistered said:
The 802-878-3398 number is helpful during the day, is there any way for someone to get ahold of me (from home) if there is an emergency at home, Is that service only available before 5pm or so? thanks!! Dave, Marcellus NY

Dave,

There will be an answering machine on this number after hours.

My cell phone number will also be in the rally program but this is more for a rider down situation or a dire family emergency.

Consider the following scenario.

You family has a situation where they feel they must contact you at say 11pm and they call my cell phone, which is the after hours EMERGENCY contact. I get the call and then what? Unless you are a friend and I know where you are camping there is just no way I am going to find you. All I can do is take a message which I then need to remember to send to communications in the morning so they can post it on the board.

So unless you have a cell phone the chance of receiving a message after hours is very, very slim. If immediate contact is a concern I suggest getting a cheap cell phone. I gave one of my kids a pay as you go phone which had an upfront cost of $50. As an aside once the minutes are up the phone is dead as opposed to a wide open account. Per minute is more but there are no monthly charges.

Best,

Plus with Verizon Wireless and most other providers...a monthly account can be as little as 30 bucks a month I think and the phone is usually free. I think...while many times annoying...cell phones are one of the most valuable products technology has provided us. Yeah we used to do fine without them but with them the connectivity is superb.

"the connectivity is superb"

There are a good number of places in Vermont (and the Adirondacks,Ny)were cell phones don't work...

raven said:
There are a good number of places in Vermont (and the Adirondacks,Ny)were cell phones don't work...

I don't know as I have not been there but I would expect that Burlington, being the largest city, would have service. Since we are right there and the CVE is our "base of operations" that one would at least be able to retreive voicemails left by those in need.

robnye said:
Cell service at the rally site is very good.

Best,

Rob Nye

Cell service at CVE is good.....but as you know.."It is Vermont and "It's not Flat".......

Folks that don't get away from the rally site and partake of what Vermont has to offer will be missing....A Lot...

And in a lot of those places there is no cell phone service................may have service 100 yards down the road or 10 miles down the road....

For example if a fellow were to wade up a bike in Smugglers' Notch and wish to contact 911, you may find, no service, yourself speaking with nice lady at the New York State Police Plattsburgh Barracks dispatch, or Vermont EMS ....depending just where you are on Rt108....

raven said:
Cell service at CVE is good.....but as you know.."It is Vermont and "It's not Flat".......

Folks that don't get away from the rally site and partake of what Vermont has to offer will be missing....A Lot...

And in a lot of those places there is no cell phone service................may have service 100 yards down the road or 10 miles down the road....

For example if a fellow were to wade up a bike in Smugglers' Notch and wish to contact 911, you may find, no service, yourself speaking with nice lady at the New York State Police Plattsburgh Barracks dispatch, or Vermont EMS ....depending just where you are on Rt108....

As someone from the west that can't get cell service at his house, relying on your cell phone in the rural areas of the country is a bad idea.

Running down the road to a nearby house to call the cops is still oftentimes the best idea.

robnye said:
Rally Rescue: 802 878 3398

That's for breakdowns, not emergencies, right? I'll program it into my mobile, if that's correct.

Thanks for all your work!

Fred

FredRydr said:
That's for breakdowns, not emergencies, right? I'll program it into my mobile, if that's correct.

Thanks for all your work!

Fred

Fred,

You are correct it is for breakdowns.

If you have an emergency call 911. If you are injured and can not ride or your bike is damaged call rally rescue or my cell phone and we will work with you to collect your bike and in any other way we can.

Best,

Contact number

All: thanks for the helpfull advice, I usually just GO without much thought about the family being able to get me. think I'll take my wife's cell and leave it on at night. Maybe test reception too. Thanks!! Dave

Rally Phone # and Communications

Hi - this is Cy Young, Communications Co-Chair at the rally. Both Co-Chairs are now at the rally site (at least during the day) and on-site 24 hrs as of Weds. The phone # as mentioned here - 802-878-3398 is now manned during the day - today (Monday) until 6PM, Tues from around 9AM until around 6PM and hopefully with an answering machine after that. From Weds on, we should be here 8AM until 8PM and the answering machine will be on otherwise.

This number is for emergency contacts. Our procedure will normally be to post the name of any person being called in one or more prominent places with a note to contact Communications for a message. We do not have paging and will not be able to find someone.

Rescue calls also come to this number and we will forward any requests to the Rescue committee for action. It would be a big help if you can give us the person's name requiring a rescue, a way to contact them if possible, what the nature of the problem is as best as can be determined and most importantly, where there are and if different, where the bike is.

Please ride the twisties of VT carefully, I have already heard of one bike off the road on Smuggler's Notch pass, Rt 108. The App Gap (Rt 17) is also a well known place to make a disastrous mistake.....

Ride safe, and see you in VT
Cy/VT

Back