Thread: Engine heat (exessive)

Engine heat (exessive)

Today for first time ever my '04 R1150R appears to be making substantially more heat on left side.
    (Ambient here in central OH about 80F this AM- FWIW).
    This after 15 mile run from breakfast place.
    Most noticeable is temp of air thru the oil cooler.
    Touch test to cylinders and valve covers does not feel different but bottom of left plastic cooler cover is noticeably warmer than right.
    (Bike has about 20K and about 45 minutes of warranty left).
    ANyone have a similar experience of thought on this?
    Thank you-

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete43011
    Today for first time ever my '04 R1150R appears to be making substantially more heat on left side.
    (Ambient here in central OH about 80F this AM- FWIW).
    This after 15 mile run from breakfast place.
    Most noticeable is temp of air thru the oil cooler.
    Touch test to cylinders and valve covers does not feel different but bottom of left plastic cooler cover is noticeably warmer than right.
    (Bike has about 20K and about 45 minutes of warranty left).
    ANyone have a similar experience of thought on this?
    Thank you-
    Oil goes in the left and out the right?
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Jack-
    I'll take your word for this fact (oil goes in left & out right). However, prob'ly went this route for ever- my perceived problem started today.
    Thank you for your input though.

If you have the RID you can monitor the oil temp as the number of bars on the display. For me this time of year I have 5 or 6 bars showing once the bike comes up to operating temperature.

If you are overheating, there should also be an indication on the RID.

I have gotten caught in a traffic jam and have climbed briefly to 7 or 8 bars. Once moving the temps dropped and I returned to 5 bars. In rain/snow I have gone from 5 bars to 2 bars.

The oil cooler is going to be more effective the larger the temperature differential. Another factor affecting the oil cooler's performance is airflow. Lack of airflow due to low speed (i.e., stuck in traffic) will reduce efficiency (meaning engine heat not rejected as well - more heat in cooler). If there is some obstruction (e.g., bugs) keeping air from flowing amonst the oil cooler fins, there will be a lessening of the efficiency of the oil cooler.

A couple of times each summer I take the garden hose and thoroughly wash the oil cooler. It is amazing the number of bugs that accumulate in the cooler.