• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Vermont doesn't have

V

vtpaul

There has been lots of talk here about the interesting things that Vermont has, coverd bridges, maple syrup and the like, but I havn't heard anything about the one thing Vermont doesn't have: billboards.

Vermont Billboards

There are plenty of billboards advertising businesses in Vermont.

All of them are on the New York side of the border. :)

vtpaul said:
There has been lots of talk here about the interesting things that Vermont has, coverd bridges, maple syrup and the like, but I havn't heard anything about the one thing Vermont doesn't have: billboards.

I don't think about it until I travel to another state. It's been about forty years now. I recall debating it in grade school back in the sixties.

Vedrmont billboards in New York

Take a ride up route 7 from Troy to Bennington. There are lots of billboards advertising things Vermont. The last one is a giant billboard advertising a Best Western in Bennington.

Since the billboards are banned in Vermont the only billboards advertising things in Vermont are found on the New York border. I suspect the same is true on the New Hampshire side.

mike cousino said:
I don't think about it until I travel to another state. It's been about forty years now. I recall debating it in grade school back in the sixties.

I remember during the debate in the 60's some guy in West Rutland was cutting them down with a chain saw. :ha

Vermont Rally rules of the road-Vermont

We have spent some time in Vermont, New Hampshire riding the backs roads and enjoying the fall foilage. Please take note while riding in Vermont and New Hampshire. Speed traps leaving the many small towns, villages are common at times and will most likely a larger police presence will be seen during the rally. Speed limits are posted much lower than most of us would safely ride. 30mph around small towns and 50mph on many of the country backroads. While these roads are very smooth and can be riden safely at much higher speeds, the local authorities often use radar and know just where to park and just wait for you to ride into their traps. We were lucky never getting stoped or even a ticket but they are out there, and from what I hear they don't have much of a sense of humor.

** SPECIAL NOTE: passing on the double yellow line is Legal in Vermont. Yes, I said legal in Vermont. Please be aware that if there is an accident involving another vehicle while passing on the double you will be cited as at fault. IT IS NOT legal in Mass, or New Hampshire although you might be able to get off with, Gee officer I'm really sorry I thought I was still in Vermont.

Have fun and ride safe,

Steve

Vegas beemer said:
We have spent some time in Vermont, New Hampshire riding the backs roads and enjoying the fall foilage. Please take note while riding in Vermont and New Hampshire. Speed traps leaving the many small towns, villages are common at times and will most likely a larger police presence will be seen during the rally. Speed limits are posted much lower than most of us would safely ride. 30mph around small towns and 50mph on many of the country backroads. While these roads are very smooth and can be riden safely at much higher speeds, the local authorities often use radar and know just where to park and just wait for you to ride into their traps. We were lucky never getting stoped or even a ticket but they are out there, and from what I hear they don't have much of a sense of humor.

** SPECIAL NOTE: passing on the double yellow line is Legal in Vermont. Yes, I said legal in Vermont. Please be aware that if there is an accident involving another vehicle while passing on the double you will be cited as at fault. IT IS NOT legal in Mass, or New Hampshire although you might be able to get off with, Gee officer I'm really sorry I thought I was still in Vermont.

Have fun and ride safe,

Steve

While passing on the double yellow is legal, that does NOT mean the entire state is a race track. Please remember many roads are twisty as well as not flat. Sight lines may not be equal to stopping distances depending on the speeds involved and how much of the road that farm implement is taking up while there is oncoming traffic to deal with as well.

Remember, riding a motorcycle is primarily a MENTAL ACTIVITY, not a physical activity. USE YOUR BRAINS and ride appropriately.

Yes, VT does take the speed limits in populated areas seriously, as they should, but you will not find "blanket LEO coverage" in the non populated areas. It's not like PA or Ohio for example. Doesn't mean you won't get a ticket if you are doing something stupid...and no, don't tell the officer that Friedle said there wasn't much LEO coverage in the non populated areas so you just assumed you could go 45 over the limit! :violin

Friedle

rules of the road vt.

I'm not sure Friedle understood the gist of my note. Yes the roads are twisty in places but generally it's very easy to find onself over the posted speed limits and many of the posted limits are different than what is found on the backroads in the west. So those of you who have not ridden in this part of the country be careful of your speed relative to what is posted. Secondly you will often find farmers with farm equipment, tractors and such on the road traveling at slow speeds. This is most likely why the passing on the double yellow is legal. My point is again. Be careful when passing these very slow vehicles because they often have limited rear vision and may be ready to turn into the next dirt road, farm road or field without warning.
You can also expect some wet roads and with occasional gravel, leaves etc. on the road as well. So a little headsup is in order.

Have fun and ride safe,

Steve

I believe it is correct to say passing on a double yellow in Vermont was intended to allow you to pass slow farm equipment. It is still illegal to pass on a corner, at an intersection, on a hill or at a rail crossing. And you (legally) cannot exceed the speed limit to pass. Have fun.

vtpaul said:
I believe it is correct to say passing on a double yellow in Vermont was intended to allow you to pass slow farm equipment. It is still illegal to pass on a corner, at an intersection, on a hill or at a rail crossing. And you (legally) cannot exceed the speed limit to pass. Have fun.

Exactly!

Sometimes farmers will herd their cows across a road to a barn and the road
can be covered in cow manure. Cow manure is slicker than... well, beware
it is very slippery. :doh

Ride safe all!

messy roads

esp for those of you who might travel to Canada, the roads near the border are small/narrow, and many small farms around. they have been spreading(spilling)manure lately, after the first hays cuts, and the fields are wet, so you're likely to encounter muddy tracks on the roads....watch your selves

Back