Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Opening Weekend at Barber Motorsports Park

Interesting views abounded in the parking lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More red ones, back in the museum.

I saw this bike win at Daytona.

I saw this bike kick some serious butt at Daytona and Road Atlanta.

It is very odd that one of the biggest motorcycle museums in the world burned down and one of the biggest opened in its new home within a week of each other.
    Last edited by Visian; 09-23-2003 at 12:02 AM.

I would pay extra for a sandcasting like this one on my bike!
    Last edited by Visian; 09-23-2003 at 12:03 AM.

One last red car....

Wow!

It looks like the layout of the museum is a quantum leap ahead of what they had before.

Thanks, Ian!

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

And both are in cities named Birmingham.

Originally posted by Visian
    It is very odd that one of the biggest motorcycle museums in the world burned down and one of the biggest opened in its new home within a week of each other.

I've only been to the old museum, back when when it was new in the '90s and it certainly does look like the new one is a great leap forward. When you say that it's only half-full, do you mean they built more space than needed, or that only half the collection is in yet? Last I heard the collection was something around 750 bikes. I've really got no excuse not to go see it though since I have a brother in Birmingham, mother in Tuscaloosa and father in Atlanta and friends in all three. Next time in in that neck of the woods...!

Thumbs up Cryin at my desk!

Ian, those pics absolutely rock!!!!!!! A+ photography!

Are there any more pics?

If so, please post them for us unfortunates who missed being there

Well, at least I live close to Birmingham (the Atlanta area) so someday (when I get my "trusty?" steed back) I will be riding to see this new Utopia of motorcycle heaven

The Britten, what a Man and Motorcycle!

Originally posted by Visian
    I saw this bike kick some serious butt at Daytona and Road Atlanta.
    The Britten has to be one of the most sought after motorcycles in the world with one of the most uplifting and saddening stories ever documented behind it. I only wished that I could have physically witnessed this motorcycle run at Daytona and Road Atlanta as you experienced.

A truly amazing account, the video "One Man's Dream The Britten Bike Story" is a must see! John Britten was the utmost pioneer in motorcycle advancement. That bike and the man, are the true pinnacle of engineering dreams and freedom. An unbelievably amazing story!
    Last edited by DDHR1150RT; 09-25-2003 at 02:55 AM.

Originally posted by The Veg
    When you say that it's only half-full, do you mean they built more space than needed, or that only half the collection is in yet?
    Both.

There is quite a bit more floorspace available... and you could see that they hustled to make the opening deadline.

And... nowhere near all the bikes they have will fit in that place at one time.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Re: Cryin at my desk!

Originally posted by DDHR1150RT
    Are there any more pics?
    Well... not any more good ones. I spent too much time watching the motorcycle races!

Seriously, though, the track is a little difficult to shoot... you need a long lens. All the pros were using their heavy glass. I need to get a teleconverter for my camera.

And I wish that I took more pics of the track itself. It's stunning.

Thanks for the nice words about the pics. I am learning to use a complex camera.

Hopefully, other people post theirs?

Ian

Re: The Britten, what a Man and Motorcycle!

Originally posted by DDHR1150RT
    John Britten was the utmost pioneer in motorcycle advancement. That bike and the man, are the true pinnacle of engineering dreams and freedom. An unbelievably amazing story!

That motorcycle was so much better than everything else on the track that day at Daytona... it wasn't funny.

Here is an excerpt from a great web page about John Britten

Ridden by Aucklander Andrew Stroud, the defining moment for the Britten came in the 1992 Daytona Supertwins race where the V1000 dominated the race, exploding to the front from the starting grid. Footage of the race shows Stroud toying with rival Ducati Ferracci rider Pascal Picotte, time and again granting the French rider space before almost insouciantly reeling him in, the homebuilt super-machine cheekily pulling wheel-stands next to the unamused factory Ducati.