• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Direct from the horse's .......mouth aka ask the chair

Re: Dealers

john diakonis said:
Just in case, are there reputable BMW dealers near the National if we need service? John

Ther is NOT a BMW Motorrad dealer in the state of WV. Closest would be Athens, OH - They have a VERY GOOD rep, but I've never been there.

Gar

Re: Parking at Campground

Jim Slater said:
If you can't park your bike next to your tent does that mean you can't ride your bike to your camp location to unload your tent and supplies? If that is so it will be a real turnoff. This not parking your bike by the tent is a real bummer - my campling usually involves leaving some of my stuff on the bike right near the tent.
Further, I can't picture carrying all my stuff a quarter mile or so from the parking lot?????????:confused:

Jim,

I doubt it would be any where near a quarter mile to your camp spot - unless you are trying to get as far from the lot that you can. Camping is next to the parking lot at UC. Maybe walk around a building, max. I think it was posted that there are a few grassy areas in the parking lot, so you could pitch there and not leave your baby. Of course, I 'll buy you a beer if I'm wrong - but ony you - you like generic don't you?:D

Gar

Tent and bike parking

At the U of C you may not ride on the grass. Bikes must stay on the pavement. If you walk a quarter mile from your bike to your tent site, you will no longer be on campus, you will have walked across the Kanawha River and be at the State Capitol building complex.

If you absolutely must have your bike parked next to your tent, you can do that at either of the other two camping areas, Magic Island or Northgate just not at the U of C.

Your choice.

security concerns

At past nationals, the MOA had rented a fairground or something of the sort with a fence around it. This year, the registration and tech sessions, etc, will be in a public building (the civic center) where (I suppose) anyone can walk in. LIkewise camping on a college campus--it seems that anyone could walk right in. What sort of security systems will be in place? What will keep thieves, vandals, bums and winos off the street from going thru my tent during the day while I am away on a ride? What keeps someone from stealing my tent and rifling thru my tank bag when I park the bike outside the civic center and walk in the place to register? I mean, yes, anyone could steal anything any time I go to use a restroom in a gas station, but I don't think I am being paranoid here. Can you address this? Thanks

security again

I had not found Rev. Willie's post when I posted the above. Sounds like you answered my questions already. Most college campuses I have seen are pretty open and do not have gates as such, but if this one does, good. But $3 to park downtown? What the heck? And we can't park on the grass at the campus, near our tents? Half the fun of any rally is walking around, looking at bikes, and talking to the owners, who are usually right next to them, about their bikes. At this rally, if you want to talk to someone about their ride, you will have to scout them out.

Parking

Yes, there is a $3 charge to park at the Civic Center parking decks. It's the law, there is nothing we can do about it if that is where you want to park.

What we have done is arrange FREE parking across the street from the Civic Center in the Charleston Mall. The Mall will provide the entire top level of their parking facility and also provide security personnel to watch our bikes. You won't be able to get to, or leave, that level without a wristband.

If you absolutely must park your bike next to your tent, you can do that at the other two camping areas, you just can't do it at the U of C. As for security, just take the same precautions you would take if camping at a KOA or state park and you should be fine.

West Virginia Civic Center

Just read in one of the Charleston papers online about the Red Cross using the Civic Center as an emergency shelter for flood victims. They are calling on the Gov. to declare a state of emergency there.
Have U heard this?

Shelter at the Civic Center

The hills and hollers should be dried out by the time we get there.:eek

June is the end of the rainy season in the Ohio River Valley. By July 4, things should be getting very dry. It has been rather wet in the region for the entire spring.

rain

This morning they were showing flooding going on in Charleston, including Fed Ex employees stranded on the roof of their building. Do you have any predictions about the weather for the rally?

Long range forecast

The weather that weekend will be sunny, except at night with highs in the lwer 80's and lows in the low 60's. I swear.

Some Questions

Just some last minute questions, leaving in a week, so I'm getting very excited,

1) Which exits do we take/what directions to get to sign in from Interstate 64? Any signs for the Charleston Mall on the Interstate?

2) Is there much shade available at the Quiet Camping area? From the pictures, haven't seen much.

Inter state signs will say Civic Center. The Civic Center and Mall are so close to the interstate, you don't need signs, as you will see them and will know where to turn without needing the signs. It really is that easy. If you are travelling on I-64 through Charleston, WV and miss the Civic Center and Charleston Town Center Mall, you are BLIND!!!

I start following the Beemers about 100 miles out, but doesn't it alway seem like there's a lot of packed Beemers going away from the Rally, even on the first day. Sometimes I'd just like to holler "hey you missed it".
This is going to be a good one. The roads are reason enough to come.

Last edited:
Re: Rally map and shuttle route

Michael Friedle said:
The shuttle buses will run a loop that will connect the Civic Center with the U of C, where the beer tent will be located. The buses will run along the streets where most of the hotels are also located in downtown Charleston on the way to the U of C. The exact route will be set by the municipal bus people to serve as many attendees and campers as possible. I should also mention that the service will be free. All you need to show will be your wristband to get on board.

Thanks to a bad case of sciatica that doesn't seem to want to let up, I'm considering getting a room instead of camping. (if I can find one at this late date) Does anyone know how late the shuttles will be running?

Shuttle bus service

There will be three different shuttle bus loops starting at 1800. The loops will be color coded to make it easy to identify the correct bus to take you to your destination. The last buses will leave the U of C about 0045. Music will be ending between 2200-2230, so that gives you plenty of time for last call.

One loop will cover the Northgate camping area and the Kanawha City motels. A second loop will cover the downtown motels and Magic Island. The third loop will cover the South Charleston motels. There will be a total of five buses running the loops, one each for the first and third loops and three buses for the downtown loop.

The color codes and routes will be part of your Rally program which you will get when registering at the Civic Center.

To find the Civic Center from the Interstate 64 you should use Exit 58 C. Heading west on Rt. 64 the exit 58 C is marked "Civic Center". Coming from the east on Rt 64, exit 58 B is marked Civic Center, but it will be easier to get to the registration parking area if you go another couple of hundred yards to exit 58 C marked "Lee Street" which will take you to the Lee Street parking area of the Civic Center. If you get off at 58 B it will still be easily obvious where the Civic Center is located.

Follow the Beemers.

Re: Showers

How are the shower facilities for campers? That seems to be the main problem with camping out: the lack of adequate hot showers.

Back